Help please. Hannspree 28" won't go into standby mode

Biggrich76

Limp Gawd
I absolutely love this monitor, but it has one major issue (for me anyway). The backlight doesn't turn off automatically when the power saving mode kicks in, or when the PC is off.

I leave my PC on almost 24/7 and the backlight on this thing does not shut off unless I hit the power button on the back. I don't always know when I'm going to be away from my PC for more than a few minutes and I fear that having the backlight on for additional extended periods of time will cause it to burn out faster than normal.

Does anyone have any similar experiences with this sort of issue, or know of an easy fix?

i have this same experience! nobody was able to answer me, but are you using an HDMI switch? mine only presents this problem if it runs through my switch, plus do you have the newest version with 2 HDMI? are 2 sources connected to it?FYI i never had problem with my other monitors before

I'm currently connected using a DVI-HDMI converter (supplied with the monitor).

It does have 2 HDMI inputs, I've tried both and get the same problem.

I also tried emailing Hannspree to see if they can help. No answer yet.

what im saying is how many sources are you using? do you have other devices connected to your monitor

No, just the one DVI -> HDMI.

I've also never had a problem with any of my other monitors. The specs list it as "EnergyStar compliant" with a wattage for standby mode.

I remember having to turn it off all the time when I had one... I never let it sit long enough to find out if it would shut itself off.

If I am remembering the menu correctly you may want to try the option to force the input type and turn autosearch off (2nd menu option?). Not sure if it will work but it could be trying to search for a signal.

My Hanns 281 model does go into standby mode when the pc goes in powersaving mode or when it's shut off. Yes! At least I have one advantage over your newer Hanspree 28". LoL j/k guys. i am just jealous cause you guys have a newer model and I don't :(

obviously this is a pretty widespread issue, so the fix would be to turn your PC off :)

its better for your hardware anyway.

I remember having to turn it off all the time when I had one... I never let it sit long enough to find out if it would shut itself off.

If I am remembering the menu correctly you may want to try the option to force the input type and turn autosearch off (2nd menu option?). Not sure if it will work but it could be trying to search for a signal.

I tried turning off auto-search, still doesn't work. I also tried disabling/enabling all the other features one by one in the OSD to no avail. :mad:

obviously this is a pretty widespread issue, so the fix would be to turn your PC off :)

its better for your hardware anyway.
lol ... I do turn my PC off ... but in order to get the monitor to shut off I have to reach around behind it and avoid knocking my other monitor over in the process. If they were going to disable standby mode, they should have at least put the buttons in an accessible location.

Still no reply from customer support. Might have to call them to see what's up.

well for one even cheap monitors can do this. 2nd it is said to be energy star compliant so it should be a no-brainer standby mode is a must!

Well, I have the same problem on the new 28" HF289H... I thought the monitor was defective so I took it back and got another one... same problem... I use the DVI to HDMI cable (only thing connected to the monitor), tried both ports and all onscreen options to no avail... I called there tech support, and the guy had me change all the power saving options in the motherboard BIOS to no avail either (didn't think it would help but he insisted)...

I kept telling him its a function of the monitor to go into power saving mode if the input signal is lost, not the video card to tell the monitor to turn off, but he insisted the video card sends the off signal, so now I'm updating my monitor and chipset drivers, and I'll call them back when it doesn't work (I hope it works)...

you'll get the same result from the LCD.
you'll get the same answer from BB and Hannspree.

this is a known issue, I've returned several of these because of same issue, and still no solution..

My 289 seems to work fine when I set the monitor to "turn off" in vista's power saving options after 15 or 20 mins of inactivity. I never hibernate my system itself or my hdd though, but I have turned the system off before without turning the monitor off and it seems to 'wake up' fine.

I did install the newest vista drivers off the hannspree web page though, which fixed the full screen aspect ratio for 4:3 and 16:9 material. I don't know if that has anything to do with me not having the monitor problem resuming from "monitor off", but I thought I'd mention it.

I'm using a dvi to hdmi cable off a PaLiT 9600gt sonic, in 64 bit vista.

You should check the real hanspree thread for more info. I'd also try a different cable not using their converter for the hell of it.

My 289 seems to work fine when I set the monitor to "turn off" in vista's power saving options after 15 or 20 mins of inactivity. I never hibernate my system itself or my hdd though, but I have turned the system off before without turning the monitor off and it seems to 'wake up' fine.

What are the last 5 digits of your serial number??? Maybe they are fixed after a certain number???

My 2 serials ended in A0768 and A0795... both have the problem...

I'll have to check next time I'm home. I've been away/busy the last few days.

I got it from best buy recently though if that helps. I'm also using a dvi to hdmi cable and not using the converter that came with the monitor, and I installed new drivers from hannspree web site that helped with other issues. I extracted the drivers myself and pointed to them rather than using the installer though. Another thing is that I am running dual monitor mode with another monitor, but that prob doesn't make a difference.

If us USE the VGA cable, it will go so standby mode.

Apparently it does not go to standby mode when you use the HDMI ports.

Back