Help! Power save mode???

janitor53

Weaksauce
Tried to turn on my computer tonight and on the monitor it just says "display in power save mode". I punched the keyboard, etc.
After cooling down, I popped the case open, pulled out the CMOS battery for a couple minutes, unseated the video card for a couple minutes, and hooked everything back up. I'm still getting the same message. Does anyone have any other solutions? I'm out of ideas here.
Core 2 duo
2 gig RAM
evga 8800 vid card
running windows vista 64

thanks in advance.

Does the machine POST? Does anything happen at all when you press the power button on the PC? Fans start? Hard drives spin up? The more information you can give us the better.

All the lights turn on and the fans spin up. Everything seems to be working, just can't get a video signal.
The USB keyboard isn't lighting up either, I pulled out an old PS/2 keyboard and hooked it up and nothing for it either.

All the lights turn on and the fans spin up. Everything seems to be working, just can't get a video signal.
The USB keyboard isn't lighting up either, I pulled out an old PS/2 keyboard and hooked it up and nothing for it either.

Maybe I'm being thick, but I can't tell from this whether or not the machine is POSTing. Do you hear a beep from the machine to say its completed POST?

you know what? I didn't hear a beep...it is sure acting like its posting, though. The RAM lights are on, everythng is spinning...hmmmm....this is so strange.
Just heard from the wife that we lost power today for about an hour. The computer was on when that happened...maybe something fried?

you know what? I didn't hear a beep...it is sure acting like its posting, though. The RAM lights are on, everythng is spinning...hmmmm....this is so strange.
Just heard from the wife that we lost power today for about an hour. The computer was on when that happened...maybe something fried?

if it posts correctly (with most mobos)

1) you will hear a single beep
2) LEDs on the keyboardwill flash

my bet is that you've fried the motherboard... get a new motherboard, and a psu to be safe...

but first... wait um what PSU do you have now...??? is it enough to run that 8800?????? it could be that your powersupply was a cheapo and its degraded past the point where it can still power up all those devices...

it's a corsair 620....it's been running fine for about a year. I'm not in SLI and only have one hard drive, it's not a real elaborate set up. Yeah, I'm guessing I have a fried motherboard because my keyboard lights aren't coming on either.

Back