Help!!! Problem OCing Opty 165 on DFI SLI-DR Expert!!

rodsfree

[H]ard|Gawd
Guys,

I've got a problem.
My DFI SLI-DR Expert won't go past 270 (stable - hit 279 one time) on the FSB.

I followed Eclipse's guide to the letter and I just can't get this thing to go any farther on the FSB.
And at 267 (2.4 GHz)on the FSB with the Memory divider set to the 166MHz setting and timings on Auto it's dual SP2004 stable for 4 hours and the temps only reach 38C.

I just know that the CPU could go higher if I can get the FSB to go up.

My BIOS is the latest rev from DFI. 12/2005 I think.

I bought this mobo because it's supposed to be fast as hell. I just don't know what's wrong.

I've varied the voltages up to 1.5 and it still doesn't help - CPU stays nice and cool even at that voltage.

Thanks in advance.

The DFI Expert is probably THE BEST motherboard for OCing.
1) Did you lower the LDT multiplier to 3x or 4x?
2) Put the Memory divider to 1:2 for testing
3) Try disabling CPC (again, for testing)
4) Put the CPU multi to like 4 or 5 or something low and just see what's the max FSB you can get before you start increasing the voltage

{NcsO}ReichstaG said:
The DFI Expert is probably THE BEST motherboard for OCing.
1) Did you lower the LDT multiplier to 3x or 4x?
2) Put the Memory divider to 1:2 for testing
3) Try disabling CPC (again, for testing)
4) Put the CPU multi to like 4 or 5 or something low and just see what's the max FSB you can get before you start increasing the voltage

1) 3x and tried 2.5x
2) Yep, first thing I did.
3) What is CPC? It's not mentioned in Eclipse's Guide.
4) Did all tests at 5x - 270's are the highest I can get the FSB regardless of where I set the voltage. Up to 1.5volts. Temps stay cool though, even at the higher voltages.

Thanks for the quick response

follow eclipse's guide but use your bios to find the max fsb
i was using clockgen on this ultra-d and it wouldn't budge past 240fsb, but once i tried the diff settings using the bios, it easily got to 330, didnt bother to go past that

Not to be Johnny Raincloud, but no motherboard (no matter how it is marketed) is gauranteed an overclock. Sure DFI markets it as an overclocker's board, and lots of people hit high speeds, but everyone's overclock is different. Take my board for instance, everyone talks about it hitting over 300FSB, and I think even [H] got it past that, but mine bugs out at 237MHz. Everyone's overclock is different, no one's is gauranteed. You just might have gotten a dud motherboard (I know I sure did)

InorganicMatter said:
Not to be Johnny Raincloud, but no motherboard (no matter how it is marketed) is gauranteed an overclock. Sure DFI markets it as an overclocker's board, and lots of people hit high speeds, but everyone's overclock is different. Take my board for instance, everyone talks about it hitting over 300FSB, and I think even [H] got it past that, but mine bugs out at 237MHz. Everyone's overclock is different, no one's is gauranteed. You just might have gotten a dud motherboard (I know I sure did)
I doubt that his Expert can't OC past 270. For example, my Ultra-D could not go past 280 until I played with varies settings.
CPC is Command Per Clock. Try disabling it in the memory configuration in the BIOS. It might not help, but just try it anyways.
Also, play with different LDT multipliers/CPU multipliers/Memory Divideders and maybe even increase the chipset voltage to 1.6 to see if it helps

Are you sure the chip can go higher than 2.4? I'd suggest dropping the CPU multiplier down from 9x to 5x, and see if it's actually the motherboard stopping at 270MHz, or if it's the processor topping out ~2.4GHz. If you keep going fine past 270MHz with a 5x CPU Multi, then, you know it's not the board.

HAhahaha hey Rod.

I think I have your answer.

Put your RAM in the ORANGE SLOTS.

Have fun buddy! :)

BoredTiger said:
HAhahaha hey Rod.

I think I have your answer.

Put your RAM in the ORANGE SLOTS.

Have fun buddy! :)

HA HA HA - NOT!
RAM was in the Orange slots :p :p :p

Now I've tried both the yellow and the orange - doesn't seem to matter.

tsuehpsyde said:
Are you sure the chip can go higher than 2.4? I'd suggest dropping the CPU multiplier down from 9x to 5x, and see if it's actually the motherboard stopping at 270MHz, or if it's the processor topping out ~2.4GHz. If you keep going fine past 270MHz with a 5x CPU Multi, then, you know it's not the board.

Ref the first post...... I did everything in Eclipses guide..... Which includes doing this.

OK......
Now to update you guys.
BTW, thanks for all the replies.

I went to DFI-Street.com and LIVED there for a day. Found out a lot of interesting stuff.

I've got the FSB to top out at 350 now. :D
The CPU tops out unstable at 311. Stable at 300 :D
Memory tops out at DDR300 :(

My brand new G.Skil DDR500 2X1GB Kit will only do DDR300. That's what's been holding me back.

I've tried the DDR in both the yellow and the orange slots - slot position doesn't seem to matter.

I've moved the Hard Drives from SATA 1 & 2 to SATA 3 & 4 - seems to help.

I used a bunch of settings posted by the G.Skill tech on DFI-Street and I was able to go to FSB 350 with the memory divider set to 1/2. The memory topped that out. And since then I can't even get it to run DDR400 at the auto settings. No matter what voltage I set them at - I went to 3.33 and didn't want to push them any farther.

I can't even boot into windows with the BIOS at the default optimized settings.

But it ran all night on Dual SP2004 larger units at 2.7GHz with the memory set at 1/2 without an error. And it only hit 42C max temp under 100% load with the voltage set to 1.58. I just know it will go higher if I can get better memory.

It looks like there is an RMA in my future with this G.Skil - and a wait for getting my system running.

rodsfree said:
Memory tops out at DDR300 :(
Wait, DDR300?! DDR = Double Data Rate, it sends two packets of information per clock cycle, so it actually runs at half the speed it's advertised as. DDR400 = 200MHz, DDR500 = 250MHz, etc. Do you mean it tops out at 300MHz making it DDR600, or do you mean it tops out at 150MHz making it DDR300? If the latter is true, you need to RMA that memory since it is advertised as DDR500 (250MHz).

If you mean 300MHz/DDR600, then you should be happy since most "normal" memory won't even hit that.

InorganicMatter said:
Wait, DDR300?! DDR = Double Data Rate, it sends two packets of information per clock cycle, so it actually runs at half the speed it's advertised as. DDR400 = 200MHz, DDR500 = 250MHz, etc. Do you mean it tops out at 300MHz making it DDR600, or do you mean it tops out at 150MHz making it DDR300? If the latter is true, you need to RMA that memory since it is advertised as DDR500 (250MHz).

If you mean 300MHz/DDR600, then you should be happy since most "normal" memory won't even hit that.

ClockGen quotes actual DDR clock speed to be about 162 before I get a lock-up.

2 X 162 = DDR324
I did my math right. I'm just going to have to RMA the memory.

It wont boot at all with the FSB set to 200 and the divider set to 1:1.

But I just bought a set of the Team Xtreem Cronus (micron) from TankGuys. I'll wait on it to come in before I pull the G.Skil for RMA

I guess that I got lucky with the CPU and un-lucky with the RAM.

It ran 6+ hours of Dual SP2004( with affinity set - one instance to cpu0 and one instance to cpu1) and never got over 42C @ 1.54volts on the CPU. Pure, constant, 100% load Baby!

Darn...thought I had the answer for ya...

Yea, I'm all out of ideas on this one. You seemed to have covered all the bases.

I did the sata 3 & 4 too, and that was before I put the ram in the orange slots...so...I don't know.

Good luck though. If DFI-Street can't figure out...then I sure can't.

BoredTiger said:
Darn...thought I had the answer for ya...

Yea, I'm all out of ideas on this one. You seemed to have covered all the bases.

I did the sata 3 & 4 too, and that was before I put the ram in the orange slots...so...I don't know.

Good luck though. If DFI-Street can't figure out...then I sure can't.

It was worth a try!

In fact the DDR is stable for 6+ hours of dual SP2004 doing the RAM stress - but at only 150MHz. In the yellow slots!

Orange is about the same.

I think it's has to do with the resent revision of the boards - that doesn't seem to matter as much any more.

Back