Help recommending a laptop for my pops

masshole

[H]ard|Gawd
Yes, it's one of those threads. The problem is I've out of the lap top game for so long now. Here's the breakdown of the budget, info, use etc. Thanks in advance for the help.

Budget
500-700 USD

Uses
Internet, general browsing etc.
Work (i.e. Microsoft office, Excel, etc.

Features
Not looking for a tablet, but a good ole fashioned laptop. No touch screen or anything fancy like that.

I'm looking for reliability and something that will last and not give him too many headaches.

Right now he's using a custom build that I slapped together about 10 years ago. Thanks to the recommendations here, that build it's been going strong ever since. It's just running out of memory and juice to keep up with todays programs etc.

Thanks again.

Avoid acer.

Staples has a nice touchscreen Lenovo 15.6 Flex that might be up your alley. i suggest looking it up as it a BF special available now

Avoid acer.

Staples has a nice touchscreen Lenovo 15.6 Flex that might be up your alley. i suggest looking it up as it a BF special available now

Scratch that:

Get em this and gift him the balance for something else:

Toshiba Satellite C55-A5384 $260+tax

Intel Core i3 3120M 2.5GHz
4GB DDR3
500GB HDD
15.6" 1366x768 LED
SuperMulti DVD Drive
WiFi N
6-cell battery
Windows 8

More than enough for your Pops and it will last him a couple years and you can upgrade again if you like

Thanks for the helps guys.

Screen size, 15-17", weight doesn't matter as it'll be at home most of the time.

Let me peep those recommendations.

Avoid acer.

Thanks, from what I remember I thought Acer was a good brand. :confused:

I guess I have been out of the game for a while. I had a Toshiba in college (abt. 10 years ago) that was decent, but then there was a huge recall on them. That's about the extend of my windows lap top knowledge.

Is this one decent?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834231420

Last edited:
Iilfiend, thanks for the links. Regarding the cpu comparison, Ill take your word for it! ;)

That Asus looks perfect. I was going to go with 8gb ram, but Im sure 4 will be plenty for his use. You wont find Pa dukes playing Assassin's Creed or GTA...

Thanks, from what I remember I thought Acer was a good brand. :confused:

I guess I have been out of the game for a while. I had a Toshiba in college (abt. 10 years ago) that was decent, but then there was a huge recall on them. That's about the extend of my windows lap top knowledge.

Is this one decent?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834231420

Things have changed. My first laptop was a Toshiba, last me well 10 years in full working condition. Still works, but the Nvidia card is toast so I had to resort to an external USB solution. Acer...I have a thread about that you check it out. They offer quantity pricing discounts so you will always see their offerings cheaper than anyone else with the same specs. Will last a year or two, and then you have troubles.

Plus for an Asus, as they come with some kind of accidental coverage with some of their laptops. I would check what the T&C are but free accident coverage is always a + in my book.

The Laptop you linked is WAYYYYYYY OVERPRICED.

A4s belong on laptops price below $299 not on $454.
If your willing to go up that far up budget, I suggest any BF deal going on today, that offers I4200U or i7s. This is the week to buy laptops as their are deals going on. Might I add that staples would be a good place to look NOW. Today they hae a $100 off $449 laptops.

Good luck

PS Heres a shortlist of what price points equate to what CPUS before BF:

AMD E1, A4=199-259 (Slow as Hell)
AMD A6=299-359 (mid-low tier)
Intel i3/A8=359-459 (upper low tier-to lower mid-tier
A10/older i5s (starts with a 3 or 2)=$459-525 (Mid tier)
I7s and a couple of i5s=anything after $550 (Highest performance)

Last edited:
Things have changed. My first laptop was a Toshiba, last me well 10 years in full working condition. Still works, but the Nvidia card is toast so I had to resort to an external USB solution. Acer...I have a thread about that you check it out. They offer quantity pricing discounts so you will always see their offerings cheaper than anyone else with the same specs. Will last a year or two, and then you have troubles.

Plus for an Asus, as they come with some kind of accidental coverage with some of their laptops. I would check what the T&C are but free accident coverage is always a + in my book.

The Laptop you linked is WAYYYYYYY OVERPRICED.

A4s belong on laptops price below $299 not on $454.
If your willing to go up that far up budget, I suggest any BF deal going on today, that offers I4200U or i7s. This is the week to buy laptops as their are deals going on. Might I add that staples would be a good place to look NOW. Today they hae a $100 off $449 laptops.

Good luck

PS Heres a shortlist of what price points equate to what CPUS before BF:

AMD E1, A4=199-259 (Slow as Hell)
AMD A6=299-359 (mid-low tier)
Intel i3/A8=359-459 (upper low tier-to lower mid-tier
A10/older i5s (starts with a 3 or 2)=$459-525 (Mid tier)
I7s and a couple of i5s=anything after $550 (Highest performance)

Thanks so much for the help! Glad to know it was overpriced. Ill be looking around some more!

outlet.dell.com

all machines are either new or refurbished. regardless they all carry same warranty as new machine

outlet.dell.com

all machines are either new or refurbished. regardless they all carry same warranty as new machine

Hows Dell laptops compared to Asus and Toshiba?

Im looking at the i5, 4gb ran 500hdd and 15-17" screen.

Back