help regarding linksys. important help plz

i run wireless through linksys router to my laptop but i noticw the conncetin is laggy. when i go to mcfee network manager i c like 7 computers hooked up to my network. they stealin my connection n making it slow n i have no idea how to secure my network. help plz. i need to know how to make a password or sumthing so only i can acces the network

Ok well the first thing you want to do is to access your router. It would help if you could give us the exact model of your router.

Open a web browser and go to 192.168.1.1

That should bring you to your routers web interface. Judging by how you proposed the question, the defaults are all still on the router, so you will probably have to enter 'admin' and 'password' for the authentication to be able to actually access the router.

After you do that, you will want to go to the Administrator tab and enter in a new Login (instead of admin) and a new password. This way only you can make changes to the router.

After doing that, you will probably have to log back into the router. This time click on the Wireless tab. There should be smaller tabs below the one you just clicked on. Go to the one that says Security. There are multiple options, for you, I would choose to use WPA2. Use AES for the password encryption. Then come up with a password that you will remember that is at least 8 characters long. Thats it, you should be the only one who is able to access the wireless router now.

wireless-g model WRT45G... if the router is at main pc can i acces it from my ;aptop or i gota acces it from main pc??

I think that it is either 'admin' & 'password' (respectively) or there is no login name and the password is 'admin'

P.S. yes you can edit everything from your laptop but I would highly recommend that you do it from a computer that is wired to the router.

Are you serious? Ok I was trying to help but now this coupled with the double thread makes me believe that this is just some idiot trying to be a stupid douche. If you really can't figure it out read the link that was posted above.

default username is admin, default password is admin

seems like yuou need to call a pro to fix this for you =p

its asks for:

username:
password:

leave username blank and for password put "admin" without the quotes. theres a security tab. or, just go online to linksys.com and look up the manual.

Back