Help Restriction FTP Server

seancky2

Limp Gawd
I have a seedbox setup under debian with 4 users whom all have FTP access. I can't for the life of me figure out how to restrict each user only to their own download folder. the server is setup like this:

/HOME
/user1
/user2
/user3
/user4

when a user logs into their FTP account they can go far back in the directy to anywhere they want. How do I restrict them to just their user# folder? I have tried changing the HOME folders permission to 700 but when I did that, if user1 logs into FTP he doesn't have access to even his own folder.

Is there any way to do this all in one step? Because I have many FTP servers that this needs to be done to - so if I could change the permissions to one folder per server rather than each users folder that would be ideal.

thanks!

It depends on what ftp server you are running. Google jail or chroot ftp users for your specific ftp server. It is a variable you need to add to your ftp server's config.

I believe you can put the users you want to chroot into their home directories in /etc/ftpchroot

Create a group for them and just restrict all other folders to not allow access.

Back