HELP!!! video card is artifacting

kevin1211

Gawd
ok, so i was playing america's army, and alt-tabbing through forums when all of a sudden i see artifacts across my screen.... then all of a sudden my computer goes into all these different colored stripes... so i restart my computer and i get this:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v294/delos_reyes/IMG_0718.jpg

now, i dunno whats causing/caused this, so if anyone of you guys can help, that would be much appreciated... right now, my computer is un-usable due to this problem...

if any information i need to add, please do ask... thanks for looking

(rig is at sig)

Your Graphics cards is overheating? That would be my first guess, that or something in your system is.

Could be a power issue maybe as well. Did you check the hardware?

At work once, we had a computer that did a similar thing, and it turned out the fan on the video card decided to stop and overheat :(

the fan is working fine in my videocard.... what should i do if it is supposely over heating??? i assume just let it sit there for a couple of hours???

Sounds like your card died...unless you have a spare card you can installl, just to double check...I would get an RMA right away.

You could also try a different power rail/connection and pulling out, then reseating the card...but like I said, judging by the pic, it looks toasted to me.

are you serious??? damn.. i just got my card in august.... damn... well, time to see how good eVGA's customer service is :rolleyes: .... *sigh* .... unfortunately i dont have a spare video card (the computer im using right now has an intergrated one :( ).....

I just RMA'd my eVGA 6800...took about a week...great customer service!

Are you using the same monitor that was hooked up to your GT? Just to rule that out...

diablo111 said:
Are you using the same monitor that was hooked up to your GT? Just to rule that out...
yeah, but then i got one of my friend's monitors to test it out.... and same problem... so i guess i have to RMA.... :(

hmm this is really wierd.... i had it[the computer] off for a couple of hours (with the case wide open), and now it works.... wierd.... but should i still RMA it??

if it does it again..then rma...

I had this happen to me a while ago... I just did a restart and never happened again ahah

just to note, i cleaned my case before i turned it on..... at first it gave the same artifact, but then in the second restart, it was back to normal.... so, should I be worried???

Sounds like a lack of power issue to me. What's your PSU? Based on the fact that it's not in your sig I'm guessing it's off brand..

I'd suggest a Fortron/OCZ 450 watt+ for that setup

heh, yeah i have a raidmax 420w psu :( .... (now u know why its not in my sig... heh)... i know i should get a new psu... but i always end up buying a game rather than a psu....

kevin1211 said:
heh, yeah i have a raidmax 420w psu :( .... (now u know why its not in my sig... heh)... i know i should get a new psu... but i always end up buying a game rather than a psu....

lol..how many amps does it have on the 12v rail?? I am guessing no more than 15amps.....yikes..you should at least have 20 amps well 18 for a 6800gt..hh

looks like i spoke waay too soon.... its artifacting again... :( .... well, off to RMA it....

kevin1211 said:
raidmax..i used to have one and it killed my asus mobo (got a new one after $30 RMA), maxtor 20gb HD (HD spun sparks then smoke came out of both harddrive and PSU), and a 80mm crappy fan.

Back