HELP w/ p180

omz

Gawd
hey guys, i just ordered an antec p180 and an ASUS a8n premium
ive heard some issues with the premium and being upside down.....my question:
will the p180 set the motherboard upside down so the heatpipe is facing the opposite direction?!
ive ehard that it makes a big difference in cooling.....if it is....man im screwed
thanks guys :(

omz said:
hey guys, i just ordered an antec p180 and an ASUS a8n premium
ive heard some issues with the premium and being upside down.....my question:
will the p180 set the motherboard upside down so the heatpipe is facing the opposite direction?!
ive ehard that it makes a big difference in cooling.....if it is....man im screwed
thanks guys :(

The motherboard will not be upside down. I have the same board and the same case. And the cooling is just fine. No problem with temps here...

Here's a pic of my system.
p180%20001.jpg

p180%20007.jpg

I also have a Premium inside a P180, and I agree. The board is not mounted upside down.

You WILL have rpoblems with the PSU cables reaching the 4-pin plug waaaaay at the top of the board though. Expect to buy an extension (good luck finding one) or modding our power supply to have a longer one.

thanks guys, i got a bit scared for a second there :D
nice pics dynamiks...i also noticed you took out the VGA duct, looks so much better that way imo
btw, i havent bought a power supply yet but i was looking at an Antec Neopower, do you guys have any other takes?
thanks again for the mobo confirmation :D

I just got a P180. Depending on the PSU, you may or may not need an extension for hte main ATX power lines (24 pin & 4 pin) going to the mobo.

Extensions available here:

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3156

I just got it to replace my old case, an Antec Super Lanboy. I wanted more airflow and less noise, and something a bit more sturdy. Boy, does the P180 fit the bill.

I'm using a SmartPower 2.0 500W PSU in this thing. It has the modular line system from the Neowpower (and sleeved power lines, a nice touch), along with a push-pull fan setup (no big fan on the bottom) that makes it look like it was made for the P180 & other cases with the PSU in a separate chamber. With the 120mm lower chamber fan on low blowing through it, the SmartPower's fans seem to hardly spin at all except on boot-up. Funny thing is, the lines just barely reach my motherboard... you'd think Antec would make it easier to use their own newer PSUs in their own P180 case. I eventually got everything to reach, but it was a pain in the neck.

The P180 is pretty dang slick, I did dump the VGA duct though, added a front intake fan, removed the fan filters and removed the drive cage I wasn't using. Cable management is kind of a trick, since you don't have a good place to hide all the cables easily.

It is quieter and cooler than my Super Lanboy was. Load temps are 44 instead of 46C for the CPU, and 72 instead of 75C for the video card... in both cases it was a 3500+ Winchester with an XP-90 using a low speed 120mm fan, and a 6800 GT @ Ultra clocks using a NV Silencer 5. And that is with all the fans set to the lowest of their 3 speed settings. A real cooling fanatic could probably find better fans than the Antec TriCools, but they are quiet at low speed & still move plenty of air.

Back