Help with 3DS Max rendering

Willsonman

[H]ard|Gawd
So I got Autodesk 3DS Max for another hobby. I use an R/C flight simulator called RealFlight and it allows you to make your own planes using Max. So I have made several planes but I would love to make some nice renderings in Max for desktops. Anyone help me with lighting and a background maybe a surface to put them on. Not sure what all I need to do. I'm a biology person so keep it simple.

To start with look in the create panal, theres a "lights" section and you can put a general omni light for "sun light", works good over short distances. Just remember to change its color from white to a more yellowish color. Then tweek the intensity till it looks about right. You can enable ray traced shadow's and metal ray goodies to improve their look but for something basic that would probably be over kill.

As for what to put it on think about your scene, do you want it in flight in which case just give it an atmospheric color of blue and throw in a cloud or two. On a runway? Make a box and texture it with cement or something like that. Could make it a model plane and put it on a reflective table...

So much you can do :p

Go here http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=96&t=21263

That thread started way back in 2003. Some of the links might not work anymore but there are 7 pages worth of stuff to go through.

Then, when you start to feel good about yourself, go here http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=132 to feel bad about yourself.

Whatever you do, don't be like my boss and think that you can solve all your lighting/texture problems in Max. Even though I do a majority of the Max renderings at my work, I still get shit for taking renders into photoshop and touching them up. I am, by no means great at Max but I am always improving.

As practice, I am turning this into a 3D (hopefully I will be able to finish it)

If you use the standard renderer (Lightscape?) remember to use Radiosity. It's mostly fast, but gives a "AO" effect to the meshes you made, mostly helping with shadowing.

I assume you have texturing figured out. The standard renderer isn't my forte since I use vRay and Maxwell (1% of Mental :p)

If you want something nice I could try to help ya out a little.

Back