Help with connecting wired desktops to wireless

mcravenufo

Ravenufo's Macs
Unfortunately my NETGEAR DOCSIS 3.0 modem and NETGEAR AC1750 Smart Wi-Fi Router are in one room of the house and a couple of desktop computers that need connected are in another room. The desktop computers are wired only and one of them is an old Windows server box.

What is a good way to connect my wired desktops to my wireless network? I've got a Linksys wireless router with DD-WRT that just does not want to connect to the wireless network. Maybe it is incompatible with my new wireless router? So I am thinking I need to find a new way of connecting my wired desktop computers to my wireless network. Any help would be appreciated.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Assuming poking a hole in a wall or two is out, maybe a couple of gizmos from this page: http://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-adapters/ Should eliminate vendor incompatibilities.

This assumes that other wireless devices can connect to your wireless router when in the room with the now wired computers. Otherwise, you may have some kind of RF shielding between the two rooms in question.

the dd-wrt router should be able to do it... i'd work more on that...

at the office i use ubiquiti airgateways

i like it because i can put secured wireless settings in the device and just plug it into any wired network port on a PC

also makes it nice for doing PXE booting over wireless...

otherwise just get any 'ol USB NIC... the Alfa ones get good reviews...

Thanks. I will spend some more time trying to get the dd-wrt router to work. I did some searching online and found a step-by-step guide. It was working with another wireless network so I only made the changes needed for my network. Maybe there is some other things I must change.

Back