Help with Light Bleeding on Samsung PX2370

Goatman455

n00b
Just picked up the PX2370 and I love it but I noticed at the bottom center the contrast and brightness are way higher than at the top. This is kind of distracting though it isn't a big deal.

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/

At this website, if you look at the maps at the bottom of the screen, on my monitor the state lines in the US map are barely visible at the bottom, but when I scroll the page down and they move to the top, suddenly they become clearer and more in view.

I have heard others talking about this issue with the Samsung XL2370 which is very similar to my model.

What should I do? I am still within the return period at Best Buy but I don't want one with dead pixels, this is way better than dead pixels.

How much damn money do I have to spend to get a monitor that works properly?

How much damn money do I have to spend to get a monitor that works properly?
You either have to find a very good CRT monitor or be prepared to spend several thousands of dollars for an professional Eizo screen. It sucks, but that's the truth. Many of the TFT monitors currently on the market have (big) flaws, it's pretty much impossible to find the perfect screen. Perhaps that will change when future technology is ready for mass production, like OLED and such.

If you really find it distracting, I'd return the screen if I were you. Since you are still within the return period you can also ask your money back and order another screen after that. At least, that's possible in my country, not sure if that's possible in the US as well. Anyway, in doing that, you can basically extend your return period indefinitely.

So does that mean my problem is "Normal" or does that mean many of the monitors of my type have this issue? Question is, is it pointless to exchange a zero dead pixel monitor for another of the same model? I like the quality, and the price, but this bleeding is noticeable to someone like me.

Just picked up the PX2370 and I love it but I noticed at the bottom center the contrast and brightness are way higher than at the top.

Are you sure what you are seeing is light bleeding? Light Bleeding is exactly as it sounds. It's when light is escaping through the edges of the panel.The best way to find out is download a program called Dead Pixel Buddy to display a completely black picture and report back. What you are describing is one of the inherent characteristics of TN panels where the top portion of the monitor is darker than the bottom. You can tell you have a TN panel because when you view the monitor from the bottom looking up the whole screen will darken. There are 3 major panel types each with their pros and cons, TN, IPS and PVA. All of the monitors you find at bestbuy/futureshop will be TN as they are generally cheaper to produce.

If viewing angle is an issue with you than I suggest you look at the 22" Dell 2209wa and 23" Nec EA231WMi. Both use an IPS panel and are very affordable and excellent monitors.

Could it be a viewing angle issue rather than a case of severe backlight bleeding problem? What happens when you move your head down until you're looking the bottom of the screen straight on? All TN panels will look brighter/washed out at the bottom but if it's really bad it's the backlight and personally, I would return it.

Just picked up the PX2370 and I love it but I noticed at the bottom center the contrast and brightness are way higher than at the top. This is kind of distracting though it isn't a big deal.

Had the exact same model up until yesterday (big ups to Best Buy for the easy return and refund), and what you're describing is a viewing angle trait of all TN based panels. Ultimately I couldn't handle going from the viewing angles on an old Dell IPS based monitor to the PX2370, even if it was such a high quality TN.

I went through 2 PX2370s because the backlight bleed on my first was so extreme. The second one wasn't much better than the first unfortunately (extreme bleed out of the lower right hand corner on both). Like Bryson said, to see bleed you need to create a solid black image and make sure it's displayed on your monitor full screen (so the black image is going from edge to edge on your screen) and then turn out the lights. The light you see coming up from the edges of your bezel is backlight bleeding.

The PX2370 is sexy for sure, but for what you spent on it you probably would have been better off with an IPS-based monitor like the Dell 22" or NEC 23" that have huge threads in this forum.

Samsung told me this is NOT normal. However, you guys say it is. I need fast response time for my games, and I like the monitor however this bleeding or whatever it is, is disappointing.

If I look at the monitor from the bottom up it darkens, from the top down it brightens, this is normal?

Even though we are on the [H]ard|Forum, I want to point you to this thread on the Anandtech forum. It's a comprehensive list of TFT monitors that's even sorted by usage category (gaming, office work, etc). Currently, in that list, the best monitor for a hardcore gamer is the Samsung SyncMaster 2233RZ. I'd check that list if I were you, and see if you can find a monitor that suits you best.

Samsung told me this is NOT normal. However, you guys say it is. I need fast response time for my games, and I like the monitor however this bleeding or whatever it is, is disappointing.

If I look at the monitor from the bottom up it darkens, from the top down it brightens, this is normal?
Yes, that is normal. What you are experiencing are the narrow vertical viewing angles that all TN based panels suffer from. *VA type panels are better and IPS ones are much better in that regard but they will generally be not as responsive. It's always a matter of tradeoffs with LCDs. Not to say you would necessarily find non-TN screens too slow though, many people game just fine on those.

What about screen position, is there anyway to adjust that? The image is slightly to the left, there are small black bars on the right side but not the left.

i got these problem on my PX2370 how u can see from images, the backlight bleed is on bottom center, and affect dark images...is normal in urs opinion?
Because Samsung and the online store where i buyed it says that is a common problem on those model, facing it in front is less than in the photo, btw u notice it only when u see very dark images like starting of the pc or black images..btw i can live with it for sure and the panel is a very good around, good colour nice brightness etc i like it but i dislike Samsung quality.

i got these problem on my PX2370 how u can see from images, the backlight bleed is on bottom center, and affect dark images...is normal in urs opinion?
Because Samsung and the online store where i buyed it says that is a common problem on those model, facing it in front is less than in the photo, btw u notice it only when u see very dark images like starting of the pc or black images..btw i can live with it for sure and the panel is a very good around, good colour nice brightness etc i like it but i dislike Samsung quality.

Your example is back light bleed, unless the glow in the bottom center is caused buy the white power LED.

I spoken with online store RMA, and on all px2370 there are these kind of problem, best to go is XL2370, but i need to change these and stay without my monitor for a week or more.

In the other hand i like the colour and brightness of these monitor, and than i have to face the problem of the pixel and yes ofc maybe another backlight bleed one...so i think i take these one and in the future i will didnt buy again TN panel or Samsung at all.

Btw for who that have it is it nornal the bottom center glow on these product?Or mine is to RMA?

Back