Help with mobo selection for Ryzen 5 1400.

BallerX

[H]ard|Gawd
I recently had a bad lightening strike that took out my old intel system. I went hobo mode and grabbed a used CyberPower prebuilt ryzen system from someone who said they never got it to work right. Suprise, it doesn't work right. The Bios battery socket is apparently jacked because I have replaced the battery twice and the bios never remembers the time when you shut it down. It was like pulling teeth to get it to install 22h2 win10 update. Then the POS power supply that was in it went pop right after. I got that replaced with a good corsair unit. This thing has proven to have some dubious stability issues over the past two weeks. Tons of glitchy crap going on.

Anyway, I ran memtest through about 6 cycles and it had no memory errors. I assume the memory is fine. The current Mobo is a MSI B350m Bazooka. I want to just replace it with something that at least works. Will the listed Mobo work with this CPU? As the title states. It is a ryzen 5 1400.

This is the board I was thinking of buying. Money is tight right now or I would just replace everything. Especially this slow ass ram, but that will have to wait.
https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-b550-ud-ac/p/N82E16813145433

Also, if I do that, I assume I will need to reinstall windows. Not sure how that will go since this windows is the OEM version that came with the computer. Likely if I did get it to boot and install new chipset drivers I would need to buy a new copy of windows anyway.

Most if not all B550 /x570 boards do not support Ryzen 1000 series CPUs. The board you linked here is 3000 and up per the support list on Gigabyte’s website.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Ajax/SupportFunction/Getcpulist?Type=Product&Value=8626

I suggest you look at B450 boards like the Gigabyte B450m DS3H with or without wifi.

Many boards will drop 1000 cpu support when newer bios is flashed to add in the 5000 chips due to limited space on the bios chip. So sometimes finding a board with an old enough bios is tricky.

I have an AsRock B450 itx Board with a Ryzen 1600 still in service and as long as I keep from upgrading the bios it will take 1000 series chips for example.

If you do need to reinstall windows just get a key from one of the gray market sites that YouTubers such as Tech Yes City, Toasty Bros or Greg Salazar have sponsor some of their videos. They are like $15 and I use keys from scdkeys on everything with no issues.

Good luck!

It was my impression that it was the older Bristol Ridge Athlon chips that were being dropped from BIOS updates, not the Zen 1 generation. I had a 1600 CPU running in a reasonably up to date MSI B450M Pro-m2 earlier this year without problems.

I've had pretty good luck with Asrock B450M Pro4 boards (but avoid the -F variant) and Zen 1 CPU's, and they aren't very expensive even new.

A lot of bioses that support 5000 series dropped 1000 series support. It can be tricky to find a board that will work without knowing the bios revision or one with bios flashback.

I recently had a bad lightening strike that took out my old intel system. I went hobo mode and grabbed a used CyberPower prebuilt ryzen system from someone who said they never got it to work right. Suprise, it doesn't work right. The Bios battery socket is apparently jacked because I have replaced the battery twice and the bios never remembers the time when you shut it down. It was like pulling teeth to get it to install 22h2 win10 update. Then the POS power supply that was in it went pop right after. I got that replaced with a good corsair unit. This thing has proven to have some dubious stability issues over the past two weeks. Tons of glitchy crap going on.

Anyway, I ran memtest through about 6 cycles and it had no memory errors. I assume the memory is fine. The current Mobo is a MSI B350m Bazooka. I want to just replace it with something that at least works. Will the listed Mobo work with this CPU? As the title states. It is a ryzen 5 1400.

This is the board I was thinking of buying. Money is tight right now or I would just replace everything. Especially this slow ass ram, but that will have to wait.
https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-b550-ud-ac/p/N82E16813145433

Also, if I do that, I assume I will need to reinstall windows. Not sure how that will go since this windows is the OEM version that came with the computer. Likely if I did get it to boot and install new chipset drivers I would need to buy a new copy of windows anyway.

Check to make sure the BIOS isn't too new. A lot of boards dropped support for the 1xxx chips if you upgraded the BIOS past a certain point because of the memory size limit of 32MB or whatever it is. I have an X370 board that won't even POST with a first gen chip in it now because its been upgraded too many times.

Also, if you're not dead set on brand new I have an ASRock B450M Pro4 R2.0 you can have for the cost of shipping. Its a great little board with proper VRM heatsinks.

The very first thing I did when I got the machine running was check the BIOS compatibility list on MSI's website refrencing this CPU. It did of course instruct me not to update the BIOS past a certain version. It instructed me to use version 1.l0. So I updated the BIOS to that. I haven't seen really any change so far. I did update the chipset driver to the one they pushed for this board as well. Hopefully, that wasn't a mistake. I thank you all for responding. I had intentions of upgrading to a 5000 series with a nice board and ram in the future. LigTasm, I might have to take you up on your offer if things get even more sketchy.

I hated this board from the moment I looked at it. The old Gigabyte UD board I was running was a real trooper for many years. Even after taking a direct strike to the network card, I used it for six more months with the only thing not working being the on board NIC. Then the on board sound finally died on me and it wouldn't boot until I shut that off in the BIOS. I decided to end it there before it took out some of my data or made transfer prep impossible. This PC was essentially free and it came with a 1TB SSD and windows 10. So I moved all my drives over to this Sh!t box. This was apparently a Best Buy special that the previous owner took back to them several times for "Upgrades" like this trash PNY memory that wont post at anything other than 1066. Who knows what they did to it. I know I had to use the 22h2 upgrade tool from MicroShaft to get the update to go through after trying all the other solutions I could find. It has been a real fight with this one.

The very first thing I did when I got the machine running was check the BIOS compatibility list on MSI's website refrencing this CPU. It did of course instruct me not to update the BIOS past a certain version. It instructed me to use version 1.l0. So I updated the BIOS to that. I haven't seen really any change so far. I did update the chipset driver to the one they pushed for this board as well. Hopefully, that wasn't a mistake. I thank you all for responding. I had intentions of upgrading to a 5000 series with a nice board and ram in the future. LigTasm, I might have to take you up on your offer if things get even more sketchy.

I hated this board from the moment I looked at it. The old Gigabyte UD board I was running was a real trooper for many years. Even after taking a direct strike to the network card, I used it for six more months with the only thing not working being the on board NIC. Then the on board sound finally died on me and it wouldn't boot until I shut that off in the BIOS. I decided to end it there before it took out some of my data or made transfer prep impossible. This PC was essentially free and it came with a 1TB SSD and windows 10. So I moved all my drives over to this Sh!t box. This was apparently a Best Buy special that the previous owner took back to them several times for "Upgrades" like this trash PNY memory that wont post at anything other than 1066. Who knows what they did to it. I know I had to use the 22h2 upgrade tool from MicroShaft to get the update to go through after trying all the other solutions I could find. It has been a real fight with this one.

I went through a similar process with my friends B350 machine, I built it for him in 2017 or so and it was all messed up, eventually I tried to update the bios and the board just died in the middle of it. Course then I had to upgrade him to an x570/5600x I had since I broke it. I think that was a Gigabyte board.

Well, I ordered the Gigabyte B550 UD board, and a Ryzen 5 5600X to go in it. Hopefully this memory will work in it until I can order a 32gb 3200 dominator kit or something. I need to check the compatability list on Gigabyte's website. As it turns out, I flashed the wrong BIOS to this Bazooka board anyway. Didn't seem to matter. It was always going in the trashcan anyway once I noticed the battery socket wasn't working. I inspected it for physical damage and there was none and I was informed that it never worked from day one. Thanks again for your help guys.

Also, if you're not dead set on brand new I have an ASRock B450M Pro4 R2.0 you can have for the cost of shipping. Its a great little board with proper VRM heatsinks.
That's one nice board and good enough to handle 3700x or 5700x.
The ram overclock shall be good too, the vdimm limit is 1.5~1.55v so still good enough for samsung b-die chip running at 3800 16-16-16 daily.

Edit: OP already bought new board

Well, I ordered the Gigabyte B550 UD board, and a Ryzen 5 5600X to go in it. Hopefully this memory will work in it until I can order a 32gb 3200 dominator kit or something. I need to check the compatability list on Gigabyte's website. As it turns out, I flashed the wrong BIOS to this Bazooka board anyway. Didn't seem to matter. It was always going in the trashcan anyway once I noticed the battery socket wasn't working. I inspected it for physical damage and there was none and I was informed that it never worked from day one. Thanks again for your help guys.

That board is a strange animal, it used to be OEM only. Should work great though.

A lot of bioses that support 5000 series dropped 1000 series support. It can be tricky to find a board that will work without knowing the bios revision or one with bios flashback.
Yes that sucked and still does. First gen boards can BIOS for full support but factory launched 550/570 boards often won't support first gen.
I've often seen 550/570 boards that need a BIOS update for 5000 series CPU's but also don't support 1000 series CPU's. LoL!

That's one nice board and good enough to handle 3700x or 5700x.
The ram overclock shall be good too, the vdimm limit is 1.5~1.55v so still good enough for samsung b-die chip running at 3800 16-16-16 daily.

Edit: OP already bought new board

Mine runs that nice Gskill 4000 kit that sells for $70 now at xmp with no issue. Only downside to it is no 4th Gen. m.2

Mine runs that nice Gskill 4000 kit that sells for $70 now at xmp with no issue. Only downside to it is no 4th Gen. m.2
yup.
b450m chipset is quite good for it's price point (be it MSRP or current price).
I used msi b450m pro m2 for my son and it can run the hynix cjr or samsung b-die at 4000 without hiccup.

Well, I have updates. The Gigabyte board will not post no matter what I try. It turns on, the monitor light turns blue like it is going to come on and then turns right back to amber. I thought it might be the BIOS so I tore the entire system down again and ran the q-flash plus procedure with the button. That appears to have worked, (once I bought a 16gb USB2.0 stick and formatted it fat32 4k.) Still the same thing. I tried another brand of memory, I tried another known working video card. The card and memory were still working in Sh!tBox when I pulled them out. It could be that it just doesn't like the memory that I tried. I doubt it is PSU related. The PSU is a Corsair rm850x that was playing games in the sketchy Bazooka board two days ago.

So I am now worse off than I was before. I am typing this on my wife's laptop trying to decide what to do. I guess my only current option is to tear it all apart again and send the board back. I have never had this much trouble with a build before and I have been building PCs for thirty plus years. I might really need that board LigTasm. At least it is a known working part. Hopefully, the 1400 from the bazooka board will work in it. I guess it could be 5600x that isn't working but I doubt it. Anyone have similar problems?

Well, I have updates. The Gigabyte board will not post no matter what I try. It turns on, the monitor light turns blue like it is going to come on and then turns right back to amber. I thought it might be the BIOS so I tore the entire system down again and ran the q-flash plus procedure with the button. That appears to have worked, (once I bought a 16gb USB2.0 stick and formatted it fat32 4k.) Still the same thing. I tried another brand of memory, I tried another known working video card. The card and memory were still working in Sh!tBox when I pulled them out. It could be that it just doesn't like the memory that I tried. I doubt it is PSU related. The PSU is a Corsair rm850x that was playing games in the sketchy Bazooka board two days ago.

So I am now worse off than I was before. I am typing this on my wife's laptop trying to decide what to do. I guess my only current option is to tear it all apart again and send the board back. I have never had this much trouble with a build before and I have been building PCs for thirty plus years. I might really need that board LigTasm. At least it is a known working part. Hopefully, the 1400 from the bazooka board will work in it. I guess it could be 5600x that isn't working but I doubt it. Anyone have similar problems?

I'm a little confused, you have the new Gigabyte board and a new 5600X and have put the ram and stuff from the old system on it? And no POST? Just out of curiosity, how long did you wait for it? Some boards have a long memory training routine for the first startup. Maybe try the 1400 in the new board? I feel your pain, I'm like $1000 into trying to get my AM5 setup to work. I literally have PC parts everywhere in my man cave. Every surface is covered in crap from me troubleshooting. I guess I had too many years of smooth sailing lol

Anyways, if you do need that board just shoot me a PM.

Correct. I installed the new CPU in the new board along with the memory from the bazooka board and my old GTX980. The monitor came out of sleep like it was going to post but just went right back to sleep. I tried a single stick of memory. Same thing. I tried another brand of ddr4, I tried a different video card. A known working RX580. All did the same thing. I tore the system down to just the bare board and PSU and used the BIOS flash button to flash the newest BIOS. I then rebuilt the entire system and still the same thing. I tried Gigabyte online support but I still haven't heard anything from them. I tore the whole thing back apart and put the board back into the box to ship it back to newegg. I'm pretty sure the 1400 would not have worked. It was not in the list of working CPUs on the support page.

Looks like I am just going end up buying all new parts piece-meal until I get a working PC. I guess once newegg accepts my return and refunds my money, I will look into getting a new board along with some ram. This whole situation is frustrating to say the least.

Correct. I installed the new CPU in the new board along with the memory from the bazooka board and my old GTX980. The monitor came out of sleep like it was going to post but just went right back to sleep. I tried a single stick of memory. Same thing. I tried another brand of ddr4, I tried a different video card. A known working RX580. All did the same thing. I tore the system down to just the bare board and PSU and used the BIOS flash button to flash the newest BIOS. I then rebuilt the entire system and still the same thing. I tried Gigabyte online support but I still haven't heard anything from them. I tore the whole thing back apart and put the board back into the box to ship it back to newegg. I'm pretty sure the 1400 would not have worked. It was not in the list of working CPUs on the support page.

Looks like I am just going end up buying all new parts piece-meal until I get a working PC. I guess once newegg accepts my return and refunds my money, I will look into getting a new board along with some ram. This whole situation is frustrating to say the least.

Man that’s crappy, I was thinking of the nvidia DP firmware issue but the AMD card didn’t work either.

I swear to goodness, trying to find compatible memory is making me crazy.

This is the board I'm looking at.
https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-b550-aorus-elite-ax-v2/p/N82E16813145248?Item=N82E16813145248

I have gone through the listings of what Newegg has and I have specifically ticked the box for b550 chipset. This is one of 4-5 choices that Newegg suggested.
https://www.newegg.com/corsair-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820236678?Item=N82E16820236678

I look in the QVL and it literally matches nothing there. I have looked at all the suggestions so far, and I have no idea if any of it matches. I don't want any flashy lights or any of that crap. I just want working memory. Corsair's web site says the letter that comes before the mega-transfers denotes platform compatibility. Yet they don't tell you what letters denote what platform as far as I can tell. Also it makes sense to me that the CPU would be the most important aspect of what memory is compatible. The 5600x is a Vermeer core CPU as far as I can tell.

The set I chose was because it had an R on the end witch made me think maybe that means Ryzen. Other than that set there is this set which is more expensive and has speeds I don't really care about. If I have lost the silicon lottery and can't run at those speeds anyway, then I spent nearly 40% more for no reason. But these do specifically say optimized for AMD Ryzen.
https://www.newegg.com/corsair-32gb...820236579?Item=N82E16820236579&SoldByNewegg=1

I intend to get a new PSU as well, just to eliminate as many variables as I can. Not sure if I want to order it from Newegg or just go to BestBuy and see what they have first. I like buying PSUs and AIO water coolers from a box store where I can take it right back if it doesn't work or leaks or something. Until then, looks like I am going to be holding down the fort with my Wife's Dell laptop. For some reason, that still has a spinning disk in it. Apparently, the slowest one ever made. That also needs to be handled. Patch Tuesday took almost three hours.

At this point, I have less than 30 days to return the CPU if that is indeed what is wrong. Which is more common than I would have thought after looking into it.

I swear to goodness, trying to find compatible memory is making me crazy.

This is the board I'm looking at.
https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-b550-aorus-elite-ax-v2/p/N82E16813145248?Item=N82E16813145248

The 5600x is a Vermeer core CPU as far as I can tell.

I intend to get a new PSU as well, just to eliminate as many variables as I can. Not sure if I want to order it from Newegg or just go to BestBuy and see what they have first. I like buying PSUs and AIO water coolers from a box store where I can take it right back if it doesn't work or leaks or something.

At this point, I have less than 30 days to return the CPU if that is indeed what is wrong. Which is more common than I would have thought after looking into it.
So to summarize the parts that you already have or you plan to purchase:
CPU: Ryzen 5600x
Board: Gigabyte B550 UD Board (returned), plan to purchase Aorus Elite AX
Ram: not yet, Corsair 32gb kit cas18 (which they usually use Micron E/B die or Hynix CJR, both fully compatible with AM4 platform)
PSU: plan to replace with the new one. Can you specify your current PSU?
Storage: spinning drive means HDD?

If you can fill some of the questions above, we can give you a better direction on how to troubleshoot.

Unless you are tuning ram for fun go easy mode. GSkill Ripjaw c16 3200 or Teamgroup Vulcan Z (like $35 for 16Gb on Newegg right now) and call it a day.

Sometimes individual board cpu and ram combos just won’t play nice and maybe you are seeing that here.

The set I chose was because it had an R on the end witch made me think maybe that means Ryzen. Other than that set there is this set which is more expensive and has speeds I don't really care about. If I have lost the silicon lottery and can't run at those speeds anyway, then I spent nearly 40% more for no reason. But these do specifically say optimized for AMD Ryzen.
https://www.newegg.com/corsair-32gb...820236579?Item=N82E16820236579&SoldByNewegg=1

R means Red for the heatsink. It'll work fine though. DDR4 is very hard to find incompatible stuff unless you go waaaaay back to the modules that came out around the same time as the Intel Z170 chipset. If you're really worried about compatibility grab a 3200mhz kit.

So to summarize the parts that you already have or you plan to purchase:
CPU: Ryzen 5600x
Board: Gigabyte B550 UD Board (returned), plan to purchase Aorus Elite AX
Ram: not yet, Corsair 32gb kit cas18 (which they usually use Micron E/B die or Hynix CJR, both fully compatible with AM4 platform)
PSU: plan to replace with the new one. Can you specify your current PSU?
Storage: spinning drive means HDD?

If you can fill some of the questions above, we can give you a better direction on how to troubleshoot.

1. I have a Ryzen 5600x in hand. I think the problem was in the board I sent back and not the CPU. However, since it was trying to boot to the video cards last time. (The monitor would initialize and then go back to sleep.) I believe that the CPU is probably fine.
2. Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX. Hoping to get a newer revision. At least Rev1.3.
3. Corsair DDR-4 3600 cas18. (One of the reviewers said he got a dual rank set out of this. Not that I will, but it would be nice.)
https://www.newegg.com/corsair-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820236678?Item=N82E16820236678
4. I currently have a Corsair RM850X power supply. (It was working fine under light gaming duty last Friday when I took the bazooka board out of the case. Not more than 300w total consumption.) I intend to buy another similar PSU or better just incase. I need one for the bench anyway.
https://www.newegg.com/corsair-hx-series-hx850-850-w/p/N82E16817139311?Item=N82E16817139311
5. Storage. Other than the drives I already have and intend to re-use, I will use a WD_BLACK SN850X as the primary.
https://www.newegg.com/western-digital-1tb-black-sn850x-nvme/p/N82E16820250243?Item=N82E16820250243

There is nothing to trouble shoot right now really. Hopefully, there wont be when I get these parts.
Things I will do differently this time.
1. Plug the board in on the bench and flash the BIOS before I install any of the parts.
2. Install CPU, Memory, and Video card, on the bench. (I will install the RX580 first. It is smaller and lighter. The 980 is a beast. It has the ability to eat a PCI-E slot if you are not careful installing it. I intend to use the 980 though.)
3. Wait a good long while for a post. (It is total cringe for me to watch a PC sit there with the power on not posting. It's just the old school in me. Every PC I ever built either posted or it didn't. If it didn't, you certainly didn't just leave it on.)
4. If the same problem occurs, then either I have a dud CPU or there is something about PCI-E 4.0 backwards compatibility that I am not being told. The only cards I have on hand are PCI-E 3.0 X16.
5. If it does post, go into the BIOS and set defaults and power off.
6. Install into the case with the proper cooler and the GTX980. I have heatsink that I will quick install on the bench. I have a Corsair H-60 to use in the case.

Wish me luck I guess. I will order the parts tonight. We'll see what happens.

Last edited:
Parts came in on Wednesday. I got up Thursday morning and started building. I just about have it squared away now.
The 5600X is an absolute animal. The Corsair Memory works at XMP 3600 with absolutely zero issue so far. Though I did quickly bump the Vmem to 1.35 and left clock at 2133 for the Windows install and the major drivers. Didn't want to take any chances.

My conclusion about what happened with the B550 UD is as follows.
1. The 980 needed the BIOS update tool to work properly.
2. I tried it before the RX580. It actually left the monitor in a bugged state. Unable to sync properly with DP.
3. I went through first post and setup with HDMI this time.
4. Once I got the 980 flashed, the DP still did not work. I had to power cycle the monitor completely and blow down the caps before the DP would work again. I noticed the screen flickering when entering windows with the HDMI cable and I knew something was not right there.
5. The Aorus Elite is a much better board anyway.

I got the 1.2 version of the board and for some reason, Gigabyte's web site does not list the 1.2 version in the support page. Only 1.0, 1.1, 1.4, and 1.5. I asked GB tech support about it and they asked me to take a picture of my box. Like I'm some idiot that can't read numbers.
Those people are beyond useless. I looked at the drivers for version 1.1 and 1.5 and the files were the same. So I chanced it and installed those drivers for now. I have not flashed the BIOS to the newest one because I am just not sure if that is a good idea until GB can explain why they removed the support pages for Rev 1.2 and 1.3. Which were there a few days ago. I know because I looked at them quite a lot over the past few days. What an absolute cluster this little unplanned upgrade has been. So just stability testing for the next few days I guess. I thank you guys for helping me out and LigTasm for the tip about the DP BIOS bug. I never would have figured it out otherwise. I started looking into it and I saw a JayzTwoCents vid where he had the exact same problem with a 3080 and had to find the NV tool for the 3000 series to fix it.

Here is CinebenchR23 scores for this rig. I have no idea if that is normal or not. This is offset voltages of -0.052v Vcore and -0.030v Vsoc. Ran for 30m after under volting. Max temps 62c multi core and 48c single core.

CinebenchR23.png

Here is CinebenchR23 scores for this rig. I have no idea if that is normal or not. This is offset voltages of -0.052v Vcore and -0.030v Vsoc. Ran for 30m after under volting. Max temps 62c multi core and 48c single core.
Setting an offset voltage like that on the CPU is not optimal. What you instead what to be doing, is curve optimizer. I would also suggest manually setting a fixed vSOC voltage rather than an offset, but that's probably more personal preference. For 3600MHz I'd start around 1.1V to see if it's stable, and if necessary go as high as 1.2V.

Back