Help with my s2460 setup

MFarndogg

Weaksauce
I just got a Tyan S2460 board, 2 1800+ True Mp's, and a Gig of PC 2100 ECC Reg Ram for cheap and need some advice.

Should I use the MP's or Mod 2 1600 Apple bred Durons?

What kind of OC'in can be done with this setup?

What are your opinions of the board in general?

The options to overclock in the bios = zero.
So any overclocking must be done by modding the CPU.

The board is stable but dont overload the 5V rail otherwise you can burnout the ATX connector.

Luck.......:D

Let me be the second to stress the 5v rail power problem. This did happen to me so make sure you have plenty of extra power.

I have a TRUE 550 watt AMD Approved power supply.

Is this enough? or should I do the Molex mod?

What about procs? Duron 1.6 modded or 1800+ MP's?

I have true MP 1800's. I can't say if it's enough, don't know whats going in your rig. When I had my TI 4600, both procs, the stick of ram, 2 nics, raid card, 6 hdds, 2 burners and numerous fans it didn't like it. It started coming up with errors all the time and restarting. took it apart and found my atx connector fused to the atx connector on the board only on the 5v rails though. had to desolder it, attach a new one and rma it.

Is this a porblem that they would fix? I could just RMA them now if they have a fix.

Just do the molex bypass mod that it sounds like you already know about. I did it to mine. If you RMA it (if they'll take it without being damaged) what they do is send you a special power cable that pulls in 5V from one of your drive connectors. Something about the spec for the ATX pins being 6A, but theirs are good for 9A, so they claim it's OK. I think the mod is more bulletproof as long as you do it properly, and it's less hassle than shipping, waiting & whatnot.

As always, go to the forums at www.2cpu.com for much more info.

Without the mod, do not go above MP 1900. That will cause a burnout for sure.

I run dual 2600+ Tbreds on one 2460 server, and 2400's on another, two with 2100+ Palomino's, one with 2000+'s, and one with 1900+'s.... None of these servers have the mod, none of them have melted the ATX connector yet.

All but one of these is running Gentoo. The odd server out is running Libranet.

I've pestered my bosses about the necesity of the mod, but so far they are not convinced. (These servers have run more or less at a constant full load for the last 18 months.)

I got the board and MP's all setup. These have been running for a year at the place I work. No hicccups and no Volt mod.

So Far things are good but Cyberlink Power producer isn't any faster at encoding movies. It appears to be using both procs but my Single Oc'd Duron 1600+ @ 2ghz did it in the same time. Any ideas? I was thinking of switching to faster procs. What can i use to bench this against my other systems?

2 things I think I can help you with.

No.1, I have just RMA's an Antec 550 watt True Power to Antec because of the ATX burnout so don't assume it's enough to be using a 550 watt PSU without the molex mod. Tyan was nice enough to send me a dual Xeon board as a replacement after I pitched a *itch after my second 2460 did the ATX meltdown when I wasn't home and panicked my family.

No.2, If Cyberlink is TRULY using both processors there is no way the dual shouldn't be faster. I had 2 MP 1900's in my board and it was about 30% faster than my XP 2400+ oc's to 2.3 GHz using TMPGEnc. I would try the free version of TMPGEnc and see what kind of results you get. I can't speak for that particular software though. Maybe it doesn't utilize both processors as efficiently.

My dual Xeon 3.06 is about another 70 % faster than my 2460 with the MP1900's using MainConcept or TMPGEnc or Cinema craft.

Look over at 2cpu.com..even with the molex mod these failures are still happening.

I had 4 fry on me,Yep 4 S2460 boards...Smoked 4 power supplies and 2 processors. I never used a chip above XP1800.

This is what I did discover PRIOR to the melt down. VRM 2 you will notice is buried by the AGP card and Processor 1.It gets no cooling and I did notice at board 3 that the VRM 2 was running at 69c ! before my power connector fried..The same thing on board 4 VRM 2 was hitting 72c..I retired from folding because of that board and it's continued desire to smoke my components..

Moral of my story DONT RUN 100% load on both processors 24/7.

i own that board... its a good wall decoration. thats about all its usefull for.. Ive rmaed it 4 times.. im doing everything right.. finally i just got an asus a7m266-d .. i would throw that board away and run!!

Been running smooth for a bit now. 1800+ Mp's are doing ok at most things. Ulead seems to use both procs and video editing has sped up a bit. I'm adding a another 512 of ram this week. I have 2 Athlon mobile 2500+'s and i'm considering giving them a try, am I nuts?

I've got one of these, too and want to get a pair of those 2500+s myself. Right now, I'm running a pair of Applebred 1800's modded to MP 1800. I believe they both have similar power dissipation.

I have problems with my overclocking in that (1) I can't get pin mods to work to raise the voltage. Don't know why. (2) My voltage is low! I'm seeing voltage of about 1.4 with the processors under load; they're 1.5V processors. (3) Previous attempts at using pin mods to change my multiplier didn't work well, either. Probably because of the first 2 reasons. Funny enough, I was going to post these problems online today!
I have been using a program called CPUFSB to allow me to bump up the FSB from 133; I can run up to 146 with the case open, but can't handle that speed when things get a little toastier.

Back