Help with new computer build

feuerstine

n00b
I am looking at having this system built. It's a general purpose system, with some gaming at 1280X1024. I might upgrade to a 1680X1050 monitor in a year or so, which is why I've chosen a 4850 over, say, a 9600GT. I have a 1st-gen Sonata, and like the case for it's quietness. Quietness is also the reason for the Artic Cooling, over more aggressive cooling options. I am open to other thoughts, as I am not tied to any particular companies. This build is in the $1200-range at the vendor I have been considering. I don't have a strict budget, but would like to keep it under 1500.

ANTEC, LifeStyle Sonata III Black Mid-Tower Case
MICROSTAR, P45 Neo3-FR
INTEL, Core™ 2 Duo E8400
ARCTIC COOLING, Freezer 7 Pro
G.SKILL, 4GB (2 x 2GB) PC2-6400 DDR2 800MHz CL4 (4-4-4-12)
DIAMOND, Radeon® HD 4850 625MHz
WESTERN DIGITAL, 640GB WD Caviar® SE16 (WD6400AAKS)
LITE-ON, DH-16D2S-04 Black 16x48x DVD-ROM Drive, SATA, OEM
SAMSUNG, Super-WriteMaster™ SH-S203B Black SATA
MICROSOFT, Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit Edition w/ SP1, OEM

Thank you,
Nathan

you need a good PSU, i´d recommend to u a Corsair one. And ditch that Core Duo and get a Quad :)

The Sonata would come with an Antec 500watt PSU. In looking for a good balance in quietness and cooling, are there any better choices out there?

Not sure if I want to endure the extra cost of the Quad-Cores. The vendor I'm looking at charges about $200 for an upgrade from the 8400 to the 9450. I'd think that for the next few years anyway that dual-core would be enough?

dual core will be more than enough for 99.999 of the time. actually the 8400 will be FASTER than a 9450 for most of the apps

That's what I thought (in regard to the 8400.) I'll hit quad core with the next cycle. It'll give me something to look forward to ;)

Does anyone have recommendations on cases that will be pretty quiet. The system builder I think I will be choosing (AVA) has a very broad selection.

The Sonata is still a good choice for a cheaper quiet case, and the 500W PSU it comes with should be adequate(Antec PSUs are decent). The Coolermaster Cosmos 1000 and Antec P182 are also good choices for quiet cases. If you can post a list of the different options you have, that would make it easier to give a recommendation.

Well, AVA has 200+ different cases... Pretty much everything from Antec, Coolermaster, Thermaltake, Lian Li, plus many others. They also indicate they will obtain any case that they don't happen to carry. I don't think I will list them all here :D But rather point out a case that I like and go from there...

You mentioned the Antec P182, and that's the direction I'm leaning. I think it will provide better cooling than the Sonata, and hopefully be as quiet. AVA has an option to replace all the stock fans with Nexus fans. I think that's what I'll do unless anyone has any other thoughts.

Also, I think at this point I'll wait until the July 20 price drops. That might help me lean towards a quad core at that time...

Thanks!
Nathan

I just got back from Fry's and checked out the P182 again. (went for another reason, see my other post in General Hardware). I do really like it. It will definitely be more than I was planning on spending, but I am re-thinking spending a little more on higher quality components.

My build is looking more like this:
ANTEC, LifeStyle Sonata III Black Mid-Tower Case -- changing to an ANTEC P182 + Corsair 550VX
MICROSTAR, P45 Neo3-FR -- may be changing to either ASUS P5Q Pro or Gigabyte EP45-DS3R
INTEL, Core™ 2 Duo E8400 -- may wait for price drops and see where the chips fall (pun intended)
ARCTIC COOLING, Freezer 7 Pro --may go with Xigmatek 1283 or Noctua 12P, not sure yet
DIAMOND, Radeon® HD 4850 625MHz
LITE-ON, DH-16D2S-04 Black 16x48x DVD-ROM Drive, SATA, OEM
SAMSUNG, Super-WriteMaster™ SH-S203B Black SATA

MICROSTAR, P45 Neo3-FR -- may be changing to either ASUS P5Q Pro or Gigabyte EP45-DS3R

Either one would be a better choice than the MSI.

ARCTIC COOLING, Freezer 7 Pro --may go with Xigmatek 1283 or Noctua 12P, not sure yet

I'd go with the Xigmatek, but either one would be good. The Freezer isn't really suitable for an overclocked Core 2.

Okay.. getting ever closer..

ANTEC, Performance One P182
CORSAIR, CMPSU-550VX VX
GIGABYTE, GA-EP45-DS3R
INTEL, Core™ 2 Duo E8400
XIGMATEK, HDT-S1283 CPU w/XIGMATEK, ACK-I7751 Retention Bracket
G.SKILL, 4GB (2 x 2GB) PC2-6400 DDR2 800MHz CL4 (4-4-4-12) SDRAM DIMM, Non-ECC
VISIONTEK, Radeon® HD 4850
LITE-ON, DH-16D3S-04 Black 16x48x DVD-ROM Drive, SATA, OEM
SAMSUNG, Super-WriteMaster™ SH-S203B Black 20x DVD±R/RW

Still waiting until next to see what AVA does with their CPU prices after the Intel drops. I don't know how responsive they'll be.

That build looks very nice :). I'm sure you'll enjoy it when you pull the trigger.

Still waiting until next to see what AVA does with their CPU prices after the Intel drops. I don't know how responsive they'll be.

Did you call or e-mail Joe Mundy or Misha at AVA Direct? Misha will probably know what they are going to do better than Joe would, since Misha is CEO.

Anyway, hopefully they'll adjust prices before the end of July so that you can take advantage of their free overclocking this month :)

AVA is already listing some of the new processors in their builds (e.g., E8600, Q9400, Q9650 [no-X]), but at prices different than what I expected. Q9400 is virtually the same price as the Q9450, for example. I don't know if July 20 will change that or not.

Trigger is pulled. Thanks to everyone for their help and Joseph at AVA for walking me through the order process!

Core 2 Duo E8400l
XIGMATEK, HDT-S1283 with retention bracket
ASUS, P5Q Pro
VISIONTEK, Radeon® HD 4850
WESTERN DIGITAL, 640GB WD
SAMSUNG, Super-WriteMaster™ SH-S223
ANTEC, Performance One P182
CORSAIR, 550VX PSU
Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit Edition w/ SP1, OEM
Lite-on DVD-ROM

Can't wait to get it!

Back