help with overclocking my 939 3800+ x2...

MrMetal_53

[H]ard|Gawd
hey guys, i am in the midst of overclocking the said processor now that i recieved my new ram. i raised to voltage from stock (1.35v) to what it said in the BIOS was 1.475v. when i used AI Booster or PC Probe (two utilities that came with my ASUS board), they list the voltage as fluctuating anywhere from 1.49-1.52v. is this acceptable for the processor that i have, or is it too much voltage?

i can list any specs/what my speeds are when i was overclocking if you guys feel i need to.

llist your mobo, CPU, Cooler, PSU, RAM and anything else....

the fluctuation is from a crappy PSU or a overloaded one...

why did you go to 1.475?

what will it do at stock speeds?

did you test it with Orthos or dual prime95?

what are the temps via coretemp

what FSB are you at and what divider is your ram on...

read this http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28049
.... foolow the steps and in a week you will know what your CPU, mobo and RAM can do...

this takes time.... not just 1.475 @3.5ghz and it boot into windows and I can play soliatre

is this stable??

How high are you trying to go. My X2 3800 is runnng 2.7ghz @1.45V on a stock 4 heatpipe AMD cooler @48deg C. It runs 24x7 folding or gaming. I am to lazy to try hard to find the max. MB is DFI LanParty NF4 ultra with DDR500 memory. Your voltage should be ROCK solid with no flucuations

i should mention that i followed eclipse's OC when i started, and the voltage only fluctuates when i am running prime95.

my mobo is an asus a8n sli premium, cpu is what i mentioned above, ram is two sticks of 1 gig plat xtc ocz modules which i just picked up (i have more questions about those later), psu is a silverstone zeus 560 watt psu, so there shouldnt be any problems there. 2x 7800 gt in SLI (stock), two dvd drives, a floppy, a sound card, and three case fans is the whole shebang

i raised the voltage because i thought i could OC my chip higher than it was getting at 1.4v. when i went to 1.45v, those same programs only read it as 1.41v, so i was confused about that too.

at what i thought was 1.475 (but what was being read as 1.49-1.52) i got a max OC of 2680, iirc (i wrote it down somewhere).

I get fluctuations with my Asus A8N32. I have heard of others with the same problem with these boards.

i will make sure cool 'n quiet is off, cause i had read that that might be a problem, but im pretty sure it is already off. anyway, ive got another question:

i recently purchased two sticks of these sticks of ram from a user on the [H] forums (which was, in itself, its own fiasco :rolleyes: ). i put them in my machine (after bending a pin on the CPU :( but i fixed it). the board notices them at 2.5-3-3-7. now, i hadnt done any sort of reformat at all when replacing the ram, and i know that my mobo (listed above) read my other ram (4x512 mb of kingston value ram) at 2.5-3-3-7 too. i changed the timings manually to their listed 2-3-2-5 specs (at 2T) and also had to change the speed to 400mhz (for some reason, my board read it at 200 mhz :confused: and yes, i changed it to 400mhz ddr)

so fastforward to overclocking. i find my max FSB/HTT that my board can do is 325 mhz (better than the 290 that i got with the value ram) and the max my cpu can do is 2670 at 1.49-1.52 V under stress (while running prime) although in the BIOS, the voltage i set was 1.475. but that isnt the problem. i go to overclock the ram, and it cant even do 209 mhz (418 mhz ddr effectively) without getting at least 50,000+ errors (running memtest test #5). does this mean the RAM is shot? or could it be because i manually set the timings to 2-3-2-5 and my board cant handle it? should i set the ram back to its default specs?

i should also add that i have never updated the BIOS (havent needed to). does it look like i should? would it be the same as, say, flashing the BIOS on a video card?

You might want to try a 2.5-3-2-6 1T on your sticks. See if loosening them up a little will give you a better overclock.

well, i tried it at 2.5-3-3-7 2T timings, and i could get up to 230 mhz stable (running memtest test #5 and superpi 32m). the problem for me is, after doing the OC research i did, i dont know which timings are the best ones to loosen. if anyone could provide any insight into this, that would be great.

how long do you guys usually run Prime95 for before you deem your computer a stable overclock?

mrmetal_53 said:
how long do you guys usually run Prime95 for before you deem your computer a stable overclock?

8 - 12 hrs or so, but remember since this is a dual core, you need to run 2 window of prime 95.

oh, really? :( ive only been running one instace of prime95 (the blend test) its been stable for almost the past six hours, no errors. shit

well, my computer has been running orthos stable (blent test on both cores) for 10+ hours now, so im happy :D

Nice job. So what was your final overclock?

Also set you RAM to 1T, rather than 2T. It's faster that way.

CPU is running at 2.55 ghz (fsb of 255 X 10 mult.)
ram is on a (5/6) divider --> 2.5-3-3-7 and 2T timings

i wanted to get it above 2.6 ghz. i will probably mess around some more later.

when i go to reinstall windows next week, if i use the same mobo drivers that came with my mobo and the same BIOS version, can i assume that i can just keep the same overclock? or will it stay even when i reinstall windows?

should i change the ram to 1T timings?

Change your RAM timings to 1T. When you install your windows, you should use the default settings on your mobo, not the overclocked settings.

ok, i will try that. also, i never locked the PCI frequency settings or the pci express settings. i read that the pci should be at 33.33 and the pci express should be at 100?

can i assume that settings that i had my computer at before i reinstall windows will be stable? or should i just re-run orthos?

mrmetal_53 said:
well, my computer has been running orthos stable (blent test on both cores) for 10+ hours now, so im happy :D

great to hear that, you are ready to go for higher overclockings.

what should i do about the pci and pci express frequencies? just leave them at whatever the defaults for them are?

Lock them at

Pci = 33

PCIe = 100mhz

If you get wierd graphics glitches, or slowdowns, use a PCIe freq of 101mhz.

shit, well, speak of the devil. im back from trying to play oblivion, but im getting graphical errors :rolleyes: my computer was orthos stable for 12.5 hours, no problems whatsoever. now oblivion is giving me artifacts.

im a little confused, and this is a little disheartening. ill try to bump it up to 101 mhz to see if it does anything

EDIT: still getting the artifacts :(

mrmetal_53 said:
shit, well, speak of the devil. im back from trying to play oblivion, but im getting graphical errors :rolleyes: my computer was orthos stable for 12.5 hours, no problems whatsoever. now oblivion is giving me artifacts.

im a little confused, and this is a little disheartening. ill try to bump it up to 101 mhz to see if it does anything

EDIT: still getting the artifacts :(

did you overclocked your video card? if so, downclock it.

i did not. my 7800 gts in SLI are running cool, 38 and 42 C idle :(

this isnt good. i bent a pin when i had to take the heatsink out to get the new ram in. i bent it right back and put it in the socket and it booted up fine, so i figured everything was dandy. could the ram be bad? i ran memtest on it for 2+ hours and everything was fine. i also thought the orthos for 12.5 hours would make sure my computer was stable

mrmetal_53 said:
i did not. my 7800 gts in SLI are running cool, 38 and 42 C idle :(

this isnt good. i bent a pin when i had to take the heatsink out to get the new ram in. i bent it right back and put it in the socket and it booted up fine, so i figured everything was dandy. could the ram be bad? i ran memtest on it for 2+ hours and everything was fine. i also thought the orthos for 12.5 hours would make sure my computer was stable

ususally aritfacts in games due to video card's problem. bent a pin from video card or motherboard?

bent a CPU pin.

you are right though, artifacts are usually from a video card. im so confused, im really at a loss here. should i take screen shots of whats going on?

mrmetal_53 said:
bent a CPU pin.

you are right though, artifacts are usually from a video card. im so confused, im really at a loss here. should i take screen shots of whats going on?

oo bent a cpu pin only affects overclocking the cpu, so its the video card problem. sure, take a screenshot.

ok, i will.

why would video card problems suddenly pop up now? thats what confuses me

EDIT: here is the screen shot

this isnt good, is it?

mrmetal_53 said:
ok, i will.

why would video card problems suddenly pop up now? thats what confuses me

EDIT: here is the screen shot

this isnt good, is it?

i cant see any artifacts

uh? im really sorry, sarcasm is lost to me online....what would you call that big brown shape on the left?

do you get the same artifacting when you clock your cpu back down to default frequency?

mrmetal_53 said:
uh? im really sorry, sarcasm is lost to me online....what would you call that big brown shape on the left?

Enlarge the resoultion, i cant see anything on that screenshot.

i think one of my video cards has fried.......i took one out, left one in the computer.......the game plays fine. im going to try switching the slots and putting them back in

mrmetal_53 said:
i think one of my video cards has fried.......i took one out, left one in the computer.......the game plays fine. im going to try switching the slots and putting them back in

maybe should rma the one that was defective.

yeah, that is what ill have to do, except i dont think xfx likes that i have installed an aftermarket zalman cooler...... :( bleh

Back