Help with printer issues

edifyingkarma

[H]ard|Gawd
Ok guys, the idiot strikes again

I installed windows xp on this guy's new hard drive after it crashed and all of the devices work. He plugs in his printer and it doesnt automatically locate. I ask him if he has the disk that came with the device, and he says no. So I direct him to the HP site to get the driver,

When he gets the driver and starts to install it, It opens the add printer wizard. He then says it asks to pull a file of the Windows Xp disk, which he doesnt have.

Anyone care to elaborate as every printer ive ever had searched for a plug and play printer and located it without entering the xp disk.

It is a HP laserjet 1200

Thanks

i wouldnt complete discount it; i've had random things ask for xp disc. i dont know about that specific printer.

maybe he's doing search for drivers manually and its trying to search for drivers on the cd?

This is because the HP 1200 doesn't have the drivers built into the Windows disk that he installed WIndows with. By default Windows searches a large database in the C:\Windows\System32 folder for drivers for printers. If it doesn't find it, it will ask for a disk or it will just say it failed. You'll need to search the HP website for this driver. PCL 6 driver is what you're looking for.

EDIT: DELETE THIS... I DIDN'T READ FULLY... It's too early...

You should be able to cancel the wizard. If not select that you are going to search for the driver. Then browse to the folder where you saved the driver. The file you are looking for is usually "autorun.inf". Just select everything to be manual in the printer wizard.

When windows wants to install the driver, just point to the driver folder that you downloaded and it should find it and install it for you.

Back