Help with QPack build

clarknova

n00b
Hey all,

Im lookin to build a new PC around the Qpack case. I just need a few pointers as I've been out of the loop for a while as the last PC i built was over 3 years ago. I'm looking to use an Athlon X2 CPU with one of those TForce mATX boards that are about to be released.

Now the questions I have are the following. Everything I read says to NOT use the stock power supply which comes with the Qpack case. Which power supply is the ideal one for the size of the QPack Case that will not cause a problem with having a DVD Drive.
Also which memory goes with the Athlon X2 CPU? I see for instance the BIOSTAR Tforce board takes DDR 400 (PC 3200) memory. Is that what I should get for it? Will all the Tforce 939 boards top out at that memory or will there be TForce 939 boards that will accept DDR2 memory?
And the last question, how hot do the Athlon X2 run? Is it ok to run that chip in the Qpack? I assume I also should get a new heatsink/fan rather than the stock one. Is that Zalman 7000 pretty much the one to get for the Qpack?

Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks

Zalman 7000 is pretty much the best, yeah.

And no AMD CPUs support DDR2 - it's not a motherboard limitation, it's a CPU limitation (AMD Athlon64 systems have the memory controller on the CPU instead of on the mobo - that's why they are so much faster than the Pentiums).

So PC 3200 is what I need to go with.
Anyone have any recomendations for which bran PC 3200 to go with?

Also anyone have any recomendations on which Power Supply to go with for the Qpack which wont cause a space problem with a DVD drive?

dderidex said:
Zalman 7000 is pretty much the best, yeah.

And no AMD CPUs support DDR2 - it's not a motherboard limitation, it's a CPU limitation (AMD Athlon64 systems have the memory controller on the CPU instead of on the mobo - that's why they are so much faster than the Pentiums).

clarknova said:
Also anyone have any recomendations on which Power Supply to go with for the Qpack which wont cause a space problem with a DVD drive?

My suggestion for the psu would be:
- a standard sized one (nothing longer than standard)
- one with the connecters on the left side (not the side that is directly behind the drive cage)

i like the overall design of the OCZ modstream but not having dual 12v rails killed it for me, even though im a noob and dont really know what that does. Also look for a drive thats <180mm, youll have less headaches if you do so.

Calpis said:
My suggestion for the psu would be:
- a standard sized one (nothing longer than standard)
- one with the connecters on the left side (not the side that is directly behind the drive cage)

i like the overall design of the OCZ modstream but not having dual 12v rails killed it for me, even though im a noob and dont really know what that does. Also look for a drive thats <180mm, youll have less headaches if you do so.

Tell me if Im wrong here, but cant you just install the PSU upside down if the connectors are on the right side? :)

antec neopower 480W
great PSU
how much RAM do u want to get? 1gb? 2gb?
for 2gb, crucial ballistix/value ram is great

I got mushkin 2gb
Seasonic 500w
Lite-On DVD burner.

The lite-on is short so it works well.

I like mushkin and corsair ram the best. Seasonic makes one of the best PSUs but not very pretty. The new Ultra x-finity is nice as well...and Antec newpower is nice.

I just upgraded my Fortron 500 BS to an X-Clio 550 and the Xclio has the power connectors on the left side so they won't interfere with with your optical drive. I'm also using an LG DVD burner (their newest model), which is as short as Lite-On optical drive.

I recently made a purchase for me new SFF Qpack.

the included the Neopower, it a sharp looking piece of work review are good and it has nice cabling options which is great. got a liteon with all the goodies, 2gb of patriot ram, and 2 250 gb Diamondmax 10's for some SATA raid 0... its a piece of work :)

clarknova said:
Tell me if Im wrong here, but cant you just install the PSU upside down if the connectors are on the right side? :)

you are ;p

that would position the fan on the top instead of the bottom on most PSU's and, well, render the cooling useless and might end up just overheating the PSU. Also you'll be using 2 less screws for mounting, vibration chatter might result from that.

But heres an option for you, Antec just put up their new NeoHE on their site and it looks really really promising. Also it only has one 80cm fan in the rear so yeah, that one would be "flipable". It's modular, super quiet, has recessed connectors, and 3 12v rails. I am really considering retiring my NeoPower for this one. I cant wait for that one to be reviewed.

Calpis said:
you are ;p
But heres an option for you, Antec just put up their new NeoHE on their site and it looks really really promising. Also it only has one 80cm fan in the rear so yeah, that one would be "flipable". It's modular, super quiet, has recessed connectors, and 3 12v rails. I am really considering retiring my NeoPower for this one. I cant wait for that one to be reviewed.

Is that PSU on sale anywhere yet? When is it supposed to be released?

its supposedly out already. Some people found the 500watt one at bestbuy for 139.99 <--overpriced. did a froogle search and saw it on a site but none in stock $100 for the 550watt. looks like its slowly making it's rounds, so just wait a few days and all the major online retailers should have them.

wrong question. Correct question is "What aren't 12V rails used for nowadays"

Back