help with SPDIF output configuration

Jim S.

n00b
I'm using the onboard audio hardware on my Intel D975XBX motherboard, with Windows XP Pro SP3 and the latest audio drivers downloaded directly from Intel. I have a question about the behavior of the SPDIF output. If I enable SPDIF in the "IDT Audio Settings" program, anytime I play a stereo sound file (or video with stereo sound), it gets output through the SPDIF jack as Dolby Digital 5.1 with the audio in the left and right front channels and the other four channels silent. If I want audio on the other 4 channels, I need to enable ProLogic II in the audio settings. But that's not ideal, because when I want to go back to my headphones that are connected to the analog outputs, I need to bring up the audio settings again and switch PLII off or I get distorted sound because most of it is going to the center speaker output which isn't used. I'd rather have everything that isn't already encoded as 5.1 be output through the SPDIF as 2-channel PCM (or DD 2.0 if that's possible) and let my receiver do the PLII expansion. The audio settings program has a selection for "Enable Dolby Digital Live". I do NOT have this setting enabled, yet I'm still getting DD 5.1 out from stereo sources. Anybody know what's going on?

I'm guessing the default message is Dolby Digital 5.1 and all it really means is SPDIF auto mode, which allows PCM or AC3 output. It doesn't explicitly mean you have Dolby Digital 5.1 streaming.

As far as switching Pro Logic 2 on/off you might be able to do some kind of global binding key for that with the right program, but I can't really help you with that, I've only done very low level key binding. Otherwise you're probably stuck bringing up the driver menu every time to enable or disable.

Back