Help with upgrade F1 vs AM3 unlocked 550 phII vs A8-3850

Sprtfan

Limp Gawd
I have a Gigabyte 770TA-US3 right now with an unlocked amd 550 black with a 4770 video card. I impulse bought a ASUS F1A75-V Pro - F1 Socket the other day while it was on sale on Amazon. I also have a Kingston HyperX 120GB SATA III SSD.
The main reason I want to upgrade it to get native Sata 3 support. I really do not game any more but still do some video encoding. At this poing I could either get a new mobo for the unlocked 550 Phenom II or a AMD A8-3850 Llano for about the same price. I was not sure what route to go. I really just don't want to "upgrade" and end up with a slower cpu.
I open to other ideas as well. I could sell it all and start over with intel if the price increase was worth it. I could also just stop buying stuff I don't need also but thats not probably going to happen lol.

the 550 is a dual core.

the a8 is a quad core with other improvements ie "stars cpu" vs denab, or thuban.

the a8 will offer better graphic performance than your current video card, and reduce power consumption vs your current system.

you could go with the Amd Athlon 631-quadcore with no integrated graphics which overclocks well. There are people reporting this cpu is faster than phenom 2's due to its 4mb l2, and stars die improvements.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103945

Thanks, I'll look into the Athlon 631. I also wanted to mention that while the 550 is a duel core, I was able to unlock the extra two cores on mine so it is running as a Quad. I realize now that saying unlocked 550 was not very specific.

Back