Help with VF900 and crossfire

Aganerral

Weaksauce
Hello,

I've been runnin an X1900XTX wuth the Zalman VF-900 cooler on an Intel D975XBX motherboard. I picked up a X1900 crossfire edition now that hte prices have dropped so I can run in Crossfire mode. The problem I have is that when I move the X1900XTX to the second PCI-E x16 slot, the fastening screws of the VF900 keep me from putting the Crossfire edition card in the first x16 slot. THey bump into the cooler on the crossfire edition, whether the Crossfire edition is using a second VF900 or if it's using the stock cooler. I really woudl like to avoid having the stock cooler on either card, since it's annoyingly loud. So questions:

1) Has anyone been able to resolve this situation and use the VF900 coolers on both cards? I like them since they seem to cool fine and are a lot quieter.

2) If the VF900 won't work as the cooler for the secondary card on the D975XBX, can you recommend a different cooler? I'm using a P180 case.

Thanks in advance!

Well I know that the VF900 doesnt play well with motherboards that only have one pci slot between the PCI Express slots. From the looks of your board thats the problem your having. And to avoid clearance issues with your second slot cooler I would tell you to get the Arctic Cooling VGA cooler.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835186002

^^ Not a bad deal for 23 bucks, and from the reviews I've read about it its really silent and does a good job at cooling the vga card... only problem is that it doesnt vent the heat outside of the case so overall case temps might go up by 2-4C but now that i think of it... the VF900 doesnt vent the heat either. :D

Thanks, that's sort of what I was thinking I had to go to as well :) Dang those thumbscrews!

Back