help with zalman vf-700cu on a 7800 gt...

MrMetal_53

[H]ard|Gawd
hey guys. i recently purchased a 7800 gt with the mentioned cooler on it from g33zy (and i would buy from him again :D ). the only thing is, the card didnt come with the supplied cable to choose the fan speed. what are my options for making sure the fan is running at full speed all the time? do i even have the option without the cable? thank you in advance for your replies

mrmetal_53 said:
hey guys. i recently purchased a 7800 gt with the mentioned cooler on it from g33zy (and i would buy from him again :D ). the only thing is, the card didnt come with the supplied cable to choose the fan speed. what are my options for making sure the fan is running at full speed all the time? do i even have the option without the cable? thank you in advance for your replies

Plug the fan into a free 3-pin fan header on your motherboard. Most motherboards will have 1 or 2 extra 3-pin fan headers.

If not then you'll need an adaptor to convert the 3-pin connector to a 4-pin standard molex connector.

so just plug it in anywhere on the motherboard? that will make it run at full speed?

and on a totally different subject, i need to make a bootable floppy to flash the bios on the card. but whenever i put the disk in the floppy drive, it says: "please insert disk into dirve A:." i havent used a floppy disk in forever :( (im a n00b). what am i doing wrong?

mrmetal_53 said:
so just plug it in anywhere on the motherboard? that will make it run at full speed?

Yup. You'll also be able to monitor the fan speed with programs like speedfan or motherboard monitor.

mrmetal_53 said:
and on a totally different subject, i need to make a bootable floppy to flash the bios on the card. but whenever i put the disk in the floppy drive, it says: "why does it say please insert disk into dirve A:." i havent used a floppy disk in forever :( (im a n00b). what am i doing wrong?

It actually says "why does it say please insert disk into dirve A:."??? LOL that's a new one on me.....

im an idiot =) i edited my post above. its been a long night. anyway, thank you for your replies. ill check out the motherboard program you mentioned. i think i found the source of my problem for the floppy drive; i think i might have plugged the ribbon cable in backwards, cause, like i said, im an idiot :p

does it matter which extra header i plug it into?

mrmetal_53 said:
im an idiot =) i edited my post above. its been a long night. anyway, thank you for your replies. ill check out the motherboard program you mentioned. i think i found the source of my problem for the floppy drive; i think i might have plugged the ribbon cable in backwards, cause, like i said, im an idiot :p

does it matter which extra header i plug it into?

Nope, not really... so long as it doesn't already have something connected to it (like your chipset fan, cpu fan, etc) your good to go. That's what these fan headers are there for.

And yeah... check your floppy cable. It's quite common to plug them in backwards because on 90% of floppy drives the connector isn't keyed at all. :p

Why are you flashing your video card BIOS? You better make damn sure you have the proper BIOS and a recovery possibility if you screw it up. :eek: Not to sound condescending but a bad vidcard flash can be horrendous to fix. :)

well, im actually volt-modding the card using nibitor and nvflash. believe it or not, ive done my research with this =) ive got the backup pci card ready and everything. i want to volt-mod my 7800 gts so i can get that last bit of performance out of them before i stop upgrdaing my rig cold-turkey and wait for the vista and dx10 hardware to mature :D its gonna be tough :p

Back