helping friend purchas gaming laptop

Chasx003

Limp Gawd
a friend of mine has asked me to help him purchase a gaming laptop. Admitantly i do not know a lot about laptops, so i figured i would come here and ask. His price range is about $1500-1700. Like i said, this will be a gaming laptop, so far i've just been messing around with dell inspiron builds, and looking on amazon. does anyone have any suggestions or deals i should look into for him?

It would be easier and more effective/effecient if you gave us some more infomation. Like......

1) What size of notebook does he want?
2) What resolution does he prefer, glossy or non-glossy screen?
3) Does he want a warranty....if so does he want an accidental damage warranty also?
4) What games does he play?
5) How long does he expect this notebook to last him?
6) Brand preferences?

Off the top of my head I would suggest the Sager NP2090 for the 15.4" size and the Sager NP5791 for the 17" size.

NP2090 comes with the 8600gt GPU and the NP5791 comes with the 8700gt GPU with the option to upgrade to the 7950gtx for around $100 more.

1) What size of notebook does he want?
He doesn't really care. More than likely 17inch, but size doesn't bother him

2) What resolution does he prefer, glossy or non-glossy screen?
in all honesty, he probably wouldn't know the difference. He's a gamer, but knows very little about the technical side (such as resolution) about computers.

3) Does he want a warranty....if so does he want an accidental damage warranty also?
No clue, but i'm sure a warranty wouldn't hurt

4) What games does he play?
basically nothing right now, because his current laptop doesn't cut it for recent games. He wants to be able to play more recent games along the lines of hellgate london, crysis and what not.

5) How long does he expect this notebook to last him?
as long as possible, 3 years maybe?

6) Brand preferences?
none really

another question, is the 8700 a lot better than the 8600? as in, would an 8600 with a 2.2 duel core proc be better than a 8700 1.8, for the long run

edit-
one more question after looking at the Sager NP5791. Even though the 7950gtx is faster, will the 8700 offer him to play games longer? He's not really interested in eye candy so much as the game being playable.

Your question at the bottom depends on what he will be using the notebook for.......if his only priority is gaming then get the 8700gt, if he will be doing audio and video encoding I would prob get the 2.2 and 8600gt.

The 8600gt and 8700gt both have 128bit memory bus so neither is that great at gaming. They tend to beat out the older 7900gs in synthetic bench marks but the 7900gs will perform better in games.

The 8700gt is better than the 8600gt.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=168403

If he doesn't need ULTRA UBER performance and just wants to be able to play the games on medium settings then I would suggest.........

Dell Vostro 1700
Dell 1720
Sager NP5791 w/ 8700gt (if you upgrade to the 7950gtx remember DX10 can't be used)
Asus G2S

Well considering his price range I would recommend the ASUS G1S or G2S. The G2S has a 17" screen (as opposed to 15"). Its possible you might have to go just slightly over $1700, by a few bucks for the G2S...

I have heard good reviews for multiple sources.

Keep in mind the Nvidia just released the 8800M (a cut down 8800GTX), if you can afford it (no idea as no the price, but I imagine expensive) you might wish to wait. I suspect you see the first laptops equipped with it before X-mas.

yeah, def just gaming/ general school work. he won't need it for audio/video encoding...

do you think the 8800 wold fall into his price range?

right, haha, not quite. thanks! After a quick google search, it seemed like he could upgrade to the 8800m later down the road if he wished, much like a desktop computer? i might have misread that...

and would this be an alright choice for a gaming laptop?

Google Sager laptops.

It's like the 3rd link down, PCTorque.com/???????

I'd find it but i' mat school so I can't

Back