Here is why I have to upgrade to a 4870x2 (as opposed to GTX280)

I believe the 4870X2 did AA in the shaders...
I thought it could run Grid at 8xaa?
Yes, but not at 2560x1600. 1920x1200 8xAA is perfectly fine.

However, that's the regular multisampling AA. Maybe you can try edge-detect AA since that takes less memory. 12x edge-detect supposedly uses the same amount of memory as 4xMSAA. It's a lot slower than 4xMSAA but it doesn't eat up your framebuffer.

The GTX 280 is currently ~$150 cheaper than the 4870X2.
That makes the GTX 280 route very viable

The op didn't have to post a bunch of numbers. All you had to say is that your getting a 4870x2 instead of the GTX280 because it's faster. Here is a nice little script of what the op is saying, and what proponents of the GTX280 might say:

OP: I'm getting a 4870x2 because it's faster than a GTX280.

GTX280 Guy: The GTX280 is cheaper now and consumes less power

OP: So what? You want a cookie?

GTX280 Guy: Yes.

Noticing some random slowdowns with a 4870x2 when playing 1900x1200 in 8xAA. not sure why, 4x works fine though

The op didn't have to post a bunch of numbers. All you had to say is that your getting a 4870x2 instead of the GTX280 because it's faster. Here is a nice little script of what the op is saying, and what proponents of the GTX280 might say:

OP: I'm getting a 4870x2 because it's faster than a GTX280.
If you are going to paraphrase me, then do it right.

I'm getting a 4870x2 because it's significantly faster than a GTX280 in the games I play.

The reason that matters (to me at least) is that based on reviews I trust, different cards play differently according to games.

I currently have and nVidia based rig, so technically it is cheaper for me to stay nVidia. Specifically the price diff of a GTX280 and a 4870x2, plus the cost of another ATI card (cheap one) for my secondary monitors.

What I am currently doing, is benchmarking all the games I play the most, or that I haven't played yet but own.

And if my 8800GTX proves to be past its prime, I will upgrade. (This is the subject of another thread I have started)

GTX280 Guy: The GTX280 is cheaper now and consumes less power

OP: So what? You want a cookie?

GTX280 Guy: Yes.

ROFL

Which games?

Sorry I meant to say in Grid. While playing Grid at 1900x1200 and maxed out settings with 8xmsaa, I notice random slow downs.. it gets choppy for a few seconds but the frame rate looks smooth otherwise. But I don't notice this at 4xmsaa.

Another concern of mine is that I get around 80 fps in races with 4xaa, and I'm curious as to how some review sites are claiming 100-120fps, not that 80fps isn't smooth or anything, just a wondering why there such a diff.

Oh and I'm on the 8.8's that were released yesterday (vista 64).

Sorry I meant to say in Grid. While playing Grid at 1900x1200 and maxed out settings with 8xmsaa, I notice random slow downs.. it gets choppy for a few seconds but the frame rate looks smooth otherwise. But I don't notice this at 4xmsaa.

Another concern of mine is that I get around 80 fps in races with 4xaa, and I'm curious as to how some review sites are claiming 100-120fps, not that 80fps isn't smooth or anything, just a wondering why there such a diff.

That is why I love user reviews in addition to expert reviews. Your milleage can always vary.

Also, I had suggested to Klye that [H] include GRiD in their reviews. He said it was not hard enough on GPUs ;-)

I was disappointed, because I dont think he can do 2560x1600 with max settings with any of today's cards, but I might be mistaken.

And off course, using a G25 or similar wheel, would be a tottally diff "gaming experience".

I haven't played Grid yet.

That is why I love user reviews in addition to expert reviews. Your milleage can always vary.

Also, I had suggested to Klye that [H] include GRiD in their reviews. He said it was not hard enough on GPUs ;-)

I was disappointed, because I dont think he can do 2560x1600 with max settings with any of today's cards, but I might be mistaken.

And off course, using a G25 or similar wheel, would be a tottally diff "gaming experience".

Reviews certainly do indicate that 2560x1600 is possible, as far as I read. I am not 100% sure what my issue is though with the 8xAA @ 1900x1200.

I just started using my Logitech DFP wheel after brushing the dust off it. A nice wheel certainly adds another element of immersion to racing game. Although I can't seem to win any races now =P.

I had 280 and it was pretty cool...

Now i got 4870X2 and i have so much problems with it. Drivers. preformance, CATALYST..... i am not excited from 4870X2

I've had plenty of issues with the official 8.8 drivers, maybe that's where your slow downs are coming from in Grid. If I were you I'd try the 8.8 beta drivers...they seem less buggy to me on vista 64 any way.

Ok I noticed on 4xaa as well yesterday. I am not really sure what happens but it seems like.. the cars just pause and there is a slowdown.. makes it unplayable for a few seconds.

I previously owned a 9800gtx and never experienced this. I would be curious to see what others have experienced in GRID.

Other than that, it plays great..

I had 280 and it was pretty cool...

Now i got 4870X2 and i have so much problems with it. Drivers. preformance, CATALYST..... i am not excited from 4870X2

I too recently went from a Geforce GTX 280 (actually a pair of them) to the 4870 X2. I've had no issues with performance. While it hasn't quite been the equal of the Geforce GTX 280 SLI setup (except in Age of Conan) the performance has been amazing for a single card. It's doing a great job. I'm still trying to decide between a second 4870 X2 or going 3-Way SLI but from what I've seen so far the 4870 X2 is a great card.

what about the heat and noise? this thing is crazy ... I am not sure how is about 280 SLI but 4870X2 is insane.

what about the heat and noise? this thing is crazy ... I am not sure how is about 280 SLI but 4870X2 is insane.

The noise? It's not that bad for me. I'm used to data centers so I have no doubt that the noise my computer makes is BEYOND what many of what you on the HardForum could stand.

I too recently went from a Geforce GTX 280 (actually a pair of them) to the 4870 X2. I've had no issues with performance. While it hasn't quite been the equal of the Geforce GTX 280 SLI setup (except in Age of Conan) the performance has been amazing for a single card. It's doing a great job. I'm still trying to decide between a second 4870 X2 or going 3-Way SLI but from what I've seen so far the 4870 X2 is a great card.

I am looking at getting a 4870x2 cf setup or the tri-sli 280 setup. All I want is to be able to crank out max image quality, combined with high performance. As cost os not an issue, which seems the better route to you. I can only convince the wife to be able to do this once! Thanks

Im upgrading to a 4870 x2 ( or 2)
because .... there is no better card for the intel motherboard Im running (Asus rampage formula x48)
because... i can run 2 of them if i wanted too.
because... i own a 30 inch monitor and it'll make it happy.
because... its the fastest card out there.:D

None of these reviews really talk about enabling Vsync, and they never usually do. I know Vsync inhibits the performance of SLI since I've used SLI a few times in the past. I'm sure crossfire is the same. And it would make sense, telling your dual cards (or dual gpu's) to wait for a vertical refresh kind of defeats the purpose.

That's why I now prefer a single GPU solution, since I can't stand to game without Vsync enabled, I want the fastest GPU available and right now that is the GTX 280.

Sounds like a good post to try to justify your purchase :).

hey dan, keep in mind that when you make the decision, if it's 3 way SLI, i'd be more than happy to just go ahead and take the X2 off of your hands :)

Im upgrading to a 4870 x2 ( or 2)
because .... there is no better card for the intel motherboard Im running (Asus rampage formula x48)
because... i can run 2 of them if i wanted too.
because... i own a 30 inch monitor and it'll make it happy.
because... its the fastest card out there.:D

haha I couldn't said it any better :D

Also, from my experience, the 280 was actually louder than my current x2 when playing games

So Yang88she, since you switched video cards, which one seems to be the overall better card?

haha I couldn't said it any better :D

Also, from my experience, the 280 was actually louder than my current x2 when playing games

Did you try to change the fan speeds over defoults? because i own 280 , sli of 260 and 4870X2 and the fan is definitly louder than 280

So Yang88she, since you switched video cards, which one seems to be the overall better card?

To be honest, if it wasn't for benchmarks, than I can't really tell the difference.

I went w/ the x2, since almost all the reviews showed it performing better @ 2560x1600 and there was finally a mb for SFF that can support multi gpu's (if DFI came out w/ a SLi mb 1st, I probably would have kept the 280 and added a 2nd 280)

Overall I am very happy w/ it, the temps don't really bother me and I haven't noticed any issues w/ game play due to the higher load and idle temps.

On the other hand w/ the 280, if temps reached x2's idle temps, then I would literally get artifacting in Crysis, this was even w/ fans set @ 100%. The 280 definitely handled games @ 2560x1600 np, and it definitely ran all my games w/ eye candy.

I just jumped shipped due to

1. I was still feeling a little peeved about taking it up the ying yang for being an early 280 adopter (I'm still waiting on my $125 "refund")
2.the x2 having the potential for a better gaming experience @ 2560x1600
3. Cross fire, never really tried it before and looking forward to testing it out next week when I get my 2nd x2
4. Still feeling bitter about the 280, but I got over it

regardless, the 280 is no slouch and @ it's price point right now, it's a great buy imho...especially if you are gaming @ 1920x1200 or lower, it absolutely rips...and it still runs games @ 2560x1600 w/ out issues

Did you try to change the fan speeds over defoults? because i own 280 , sli of 260 and 4870X2 and the fan is definitly louder than 280

So far, I haven't had to set the x2's fans, it runs @ auto and never seems to have to ramp up or be set manually like the 280 did..

So far, I haven't had to set the x2's fans, it runs @ auto and never seems to have to ramp up or be set manually like the 280 did..

If you get a chance to chek your temperatures you are going to be scared... :)

But i do agree that at 27% the fan is quieter than 280.
let me put it that way
GTX280 40% fan silient but stil very overclockable i reached 705/1420/1220 with 40% fan
4870X2 27% fan silent ---> NO OVERCLOCK AT ALL!
4870X2 50% fan STILL not OC at all...

Would you notice a performance hit with a p45 vs an x48? I am not talking about benchmarks, but noticeable quality degradation? I really dont see much point in DDR3 yet as my old ddr2 seemed to be as fast. I really would want to pair these 4870x2's up with a good intel chipset!

Would you notice a performance hit with a p45 vs an x48? I am not talking about benchmarks, but noticeable quality degradation? I really dont see much point in DDR3 yet as my old ddr2 seemed to be as fast. I really would want to pair these 4870x2's up with a good intel chipset!

not sure about the x48, I believe a member here by canadaownjoo is using an asus mb w/ the x48, but I'm not experiencing any problems w/ my p45 board

If you get a chance to chek your temperatures you are going to be scared... :)

But i do agree that at 27% the fan is quieter than 280.
let me put it that way
GTX280 40% fan silient but stil very overclockable i reached 705/1420/1220 with 40% fan
4870X2 27% fan silent ---> NO OVERCLOCK AT ALL!
4870X2 50% fan STILL not OC at all...

I'm sure!, I burnt the crap out of my finger when I was re-adjusting a fan and came too close to the x2, but yeah it generates a LOT of heat

LOL sorry for your finger tough , let me ask you whats your GPU score on vantage?

I haven't ran it yet, I probably won't run it until next week when I have more time to play around w/ the mobo settings and CPU overclocks.

yeah, it was the first time I've ever been burned by a cpu...but it's ok, now I can say I was attacked by a knife when my wound becomes a tiny scar

LOL
please let me know about your scores? I cant get it why nobody doesnt tell me the scores, (not you, you just told me that you never ran it)

Back