Heroic Theatergoer Smashes Cell Phone, Gets Thrown Out

And I guarantee you'd be the least popular person in your town.

What, are you going to sue the theatre because they told you to stop making noise during a performance that many many people devoted much time to?

If you want to sit in a room and fiddle with a phone, why go to a show/movie?
You wouldn't sue the theater, but ask the guy with a cracked head after falling down 3 rows of chairs if he thought destroying personal property was worth it. You could argue self defence pretty easily too. It is really easy to ignore this kind of behaviour, and if someone gets physical, they should expect trouble.

I don't talk on my phone and keep it on silent, but if the light I was covering on my phone was annoying someone so much they got physical with my property, they would be sporting a nasty headache for a few weeks.

Seems like destruction of property vs assault to me. At least that would be my response if she did file charges. Counter-charges, even if they wouldn't stand up, should be filed. Bet that stops the whole thing in its tracks.

You wouldn't sue the theater, but ask the guy with a cracked head after falling down 3 rows of chairs if he thought destroying personal property was worth it. You could argue self defence pretty easily too. It is really easy to ignore this kind of behaviour, and if someone gets physical, they should expect trouble.

I don't talk on my phone and keep it on silent, but if the light I was covering on my phone was annoying someone so much they got physical with my property, they would be sporting a nasty headache for a few weeks.
This is why I think the guy is a bully far more than he's a "hero". If it had of been someone large and scary who might have punched him in the face the moment he tried to snatch the phone, he wouldn't have done it. And if someone DID punch him in the face, I doubt any "assault" charges would stick if they punched you while you were forcibly wrestling their phone away from them.

And you are an idiot! The dude is definitely a hero. Arrogant SOBs all over the place. Nice to see someone getting some rough justice. If I was that dude after I threw the phone and she slapped me, I would have knocked her ass out.

Wow Internet tough guy here. "I would have beat that woman up, AFTER I stole her property! Fuck yeah, TEXAS!"

facing felony malicious destruction of property and assault.
LMAO! Yeah, no.

LEOs deal with actual assault cases where people are hospitalized all the time, and would find it absolutely comedy gold if "some inconsiderate jerkoff" in their eyes who they are already unsympathetic towards describes having his phone taken out of his hands as assault, lol!!!!!!!

If you're rude in public just don't be surprised if someone takes action against you. That's all there is to it.

Seems like destruction of property vs assault to me. At least that would be my response if she did file charges. Counter-charges, even if they wouldn't stand up, should be filed. Bet that stops the whole thing in its tracks.
In Texas its called "malicious damage" and is a misdemeanor "heat of the moment" type extremely minor offense that happens daily in courts.

Usually some girlfriend/boyfriend get in a fight, and she kicks his car door or he punches her car's side mirror. No court would accept that tossing a cellphone even constituted "serious inconvenience" like loss of a vehicle would, and the case would be handled quickly and painlessly in small claims court to make him pay for it or as the guy says a night in jail.

You just lost the game then, as the court would see that the other party didn't harm you in any way and merely damaged your property after an altercation that you arguably started with inconsiderate behavior, and would at most really just make them pay or your phone's depreciated value.

You on the other hand, Mr Toughguy, would now face aggravated assault charges, and if you actually tried to throw them down some stairs could quite possibly get attempted murder charges.

Glad we have such rational people on the forum tnight, lol!

You just lost the game then, as the court would see that the other party didn't harm you in any way and merely damaged your property after an altercation that you arguably started with inconsiderate behavior, and would at most really just make them pay or your phone's depreciated value.

You on the other hand, Mr Toughguy, would now face aggravated assault charges, and if you actually tried to throw them down some stairs could quite possibly get attempted murder charges.

Glad we have such rational people on the forum tnight, lol!
Not if he forcibly tried to remove it from my hands. It's easy to argue that starting an altercation on an uneven surface with an intent to harm someone is dangerous. I also never said throw them down stairs, if they attack me from a lower level and I stopped him from attacking me at a higher level, they're the ones who need to consider their footing.

If you want to make the entire article into a few sentences:

Theater creates rule due to inconsiderate people.
Inconsiderate people ignore rule because it isn't enforced.
Man teaches inconsiderate person a lesson.

If you think the chick was acting properly in a theater, there's seriously something wrong with you. Generally bad things happen when people don't respect each other.

If you want to make the entire article into a few sentences:

Theater creates rule due to inconsiderate people.
Inconsiderate people ignore rule because it isn't enforced.
Man teaches inconsiderate person a lesson.

If you think the chick was acting properly in a theater, there's seriously something wrong with you. Generally bad things happen when people don't respect each other.
and to people who don't mind their own business.

I simply go to the morning shows like a normal person. Cheaper tickets and less assholes.

I've never said she was. I'm saying if you attack someone, they have the right to defend themselves, and you shouldn't expect anything less.

Correct. But by slapping him, she opened herself to all kinds of legal troubles as well. As has been discussed, it differs by state - but she would be in more trouble in most places.

I'm interested in hearing (from both sides) solutions on how to deal with people like that.

I figure incidents like this going public about certain theaters not taking complaints by their patrons seriously is pretty bad publicity - I mean I wouldn't go back to that place if I was surrounded by a bunch of asshats like that.

What do you mean maybe? Its a clear cut case of MDOP. Taking another person's property and maliciously destroying it. Absolutely clear crime AND tort. Im posting this because this forum has WAY too much tendency to applaud idiotic things like this and not realizing what a serious CRIME it is.

Then what the hell have you been doing on here for over eight years?
Feel free to GTFO if you don't like others' opinions on here; this is [H]ard, not [P]ussy.

I applaud the man as well, considering the in-house security did not remove the person with the phone.
How dare he take matters into his own hands and deal with the problem head-first.

You seem like you would be more happy living in North Korea. ;)

Where i come from we call this type of person a Felon. Seriously, if you grabbed my phone from my hand and threw it, I guarantee you would be in handcuffs very quickly, facing felony malicious destruction of property and assault. This guy is not a hero, hes a criminal.

LOL, you are one of the biggest sissies ive met online.

Then what the hell have you been doing on here for over eight years?
Feel free to GTFO if you don't like others' opinions on here; this is [H]ard, not [P]ussy.

I applaud the man as well, considering the in-house security did not remove the person with the phone.
How dare he take matters into his own hands and deal with the problem head-first.

You seem like you would be more happy living in North Korea. ;)

Seriously, you can tell some people have never been taught respect when they think it's a crime if another human being stops someone from disrespecting several without justifiable cause.
I dare anyone in here to go to a movie theater on a military base and fuck around talking on your phone during the movie, if you're lucky someone will JUST throw your phone.

Seriously, you can tell some people have never been taught respect when they think it's a crime if another human being stops someone from disrespecting several without justifiable cause.
I dare anyone in here to go to a movie theater on a military base and fuck around talking on your phone during the movie, if you're lucky someone will JUST throw your phone.
You can tell some people have never been taught respect and self restraint when they think damaging someone else's property is justified because they made you unhappy.

That's how mature adults solve disputes, they break other peoples' shit. :p

I don't disagree the chick was a fuckwit, but the dude was at least an equal fuckwit.

Using a similar analogy to your military one, if it wasn't a woman using her phone and instead a 6'6 muscle bound scary bikie dude, I doubt he would have snatched away their phone and broken it.

You're just as likely to get wailed on trying to take someones phone, depending on where you live. It's a dumb move, plain and simple, provoking a physical confrontation with a stranger. You don't know that they are even mentally stable, what kind of day they've had, etc.

You're playing with fire, and the only reason this guy did it is because it was some woman. If it had been a large man, he wouldn't have done it because he would have been in the hospital.

Is there anyone here who disagrees that this woman was being a selfish witch before this man stepped in?

Sometimes, you have to take a stand for what's right. In the greater scheme of the universe, this guy was unquestionably right.

This witch was evil; she was essentially defeated by a brave hero unafraid to suffer the slings and arrows of an uncaring legal system to defend what is right.

That was [H]ard as fuck.

Bravo.

Is there anyone here who disagrees that this woman was being a selfish witch before this man stepped in?

Sometimes, you have to take a stand for what's right. In the greater scheme of the universe,
I agree right up until this point. Beyond that, no. The guy was not "[H]ard" for snatching a woman's phone and tossing it. Regardless of what the law says, it should never be acceptable to snatch the property of someone else and break it and get away with it. The fact that this someone was a woman makes it even less [H] (unless that woman was some crazy buff woman).

It's not up to the individual patron to decide the punishment for breaking the rules of an establishment or the rules of etiquette. He could have gone up to the staff and told them "this is unacceptable, you have this policy and you don't enforce it, either enforce it or I want my money back and will spread the word my experience". No, instead he took the childish bully route and snatched the phone off a woman and broke it. This is not behaviour that should be encouraged.

The fact the woman was using her phone is somewhat disrespectful (from the article it sounds like she was using it silently, but still, disrespectful, I agree). She was further disrespectful when she ignored complaints that it was distracting other patrons. However the dude was incredibly disrespectful snatching it from her hands and throwing it away and potentially breaking it.

I don't think so. I'm pretty sure we can all agree using your cell phone during a movie/performance/whatever is a douche move. But you know what is a bigger douche move, and a bigger disruption? Grabbing someones shit and throwing it.

Douchebag childish behavior doesn't become any less douchey or any less childish just because the victim is an annoying bitch.

There was a much more sane and appropriate ADULT manner in which to handle the situation that the guy did not pursue: Inform the venue staff and let them handle it.

I don't understand why everyone on this forum has to be such a god damn Internet tough guy when these types of topics come up where the solution to annoying people is always physical confrontation. And then if you don't support the person, you're just being a pussy.

I don't understand why everyone on this forum has to be such a god damn Internet tough guy when these types of topics come up where the solution to annoying people is always physical confrontation. And then if you don't support the person, you're just being a pussy.
Most wish they were that guy. Plain and simple they've never been in an actual confrontation that mattered.

Once people have some life experiences they'll realize how petty a woman's backlight during a musical actually is in the grand scheme of things that matter.

There was a much more sane and appropriate ADULT manner in which to handle the situation that the guy did not pursue: Inform the venue staff and let them handle it.

During intermission, Williamson's date complained to the theater's management, but he says he didn't personally witness the theater managers admonish the disruptive audience members.

I would have slapped the bitch and raped her brother over the remains of the phone.

I would not have slapped her, after she had slapped me. I would have punched her right in the face then dragged her out instead, and been entirely within the laws of self defense. I treat both genders equal.

..of course I would have gone to management and pestered them into doing anything like that, complete with the typical "it would be a shame if [ ]" wording. Killing a phone is like killing someone's child these days.

Honestly they were both in the wrong after the staff did not remove her he failed to ask them to refund his tickets this would have ejected her much quicker.

Here is some what ifs for you all to contemplate.

What if she was not infact googling what if she had just recieved a series of text with the subject of one of her relatives was just diagnosed with a terminal illness.
what if williamson was being a douche canoe and the second she pulled it out to do anything other than turn off or switch to vibrate he was all up her ass with the complaints.

We all imagine she is one of those people playing words with friends while she watches the movie or she watched a movie on her phone while watching a movie or txting 5000 times during the movie.

What if she was not. I really dont see why his actions should be applauded unless she is a total bitch and deserved it.

In closing we would all like to do this but our actions always have consequences when he grabbed her phone and threw it across the room he was expecting it to be broken and to likely end up having to pay for a new one and spend a day or 2 in jail. I doubt he will be expecting it to cost 600+fine for assault or for the jail time to be much more than the 1 day he thinks he was going to get.

I don't think someone being idiotic gives you the rights to destroy their properties. If there are regulations surrounding what they are doing, it's up to the owner of the place to enforce it.

The right thing to do would be to leave and demand for a refund if the theater isn't doing anything about it.

Not sure why people are defending this behavior. There was no need to snatch PRIVATE PROPERTY and destroy it. I have personally easily dealt with this by contacting the manager and they are really good about removing these assholes. There is no need to risk a potentially violent encounter over a cell phone.

Not sure why people are defending this behavior. There was no need to snatch PRIVATE PROPERTY and destroy it. I have personally easily dealt with this by contacting the manager and they are really good about removing these assholes. There is no need to risk a potentially violent encounter over a cell phone.

Don't see why not. She was being a dick. There's something called "Etiquette," and while I can't say I applaud destruction of property, I doubt he was really trying to destroy it, just relocating it, so she can't be a disturbance.

I had a time where I was on the verge of pouring soda over a group of people, held back though.

I can understand that you might need the phone for an emergency, but it seemed clear that she wasn't.

So not only is this guy being applauded for a criminal act, the person who had their phone tossed wasn't even talking on it, just looking something up on it. The guy was whining because the phone was distracting him.

I can see if someone was talking on their phone during a show, but just lookin something up? Yea, I'd press charges after I knocked him on his ass.

SO BRAVE

Not sure why people are defending this behavior. There was no need to snatch PRIVATE PROPERTY and destroy it.
He said she was being obnoxious the whole time, and he did bring it to attention of manager. You'd probably snatch her privates too if she was douchey enough.

You're just as likely to get wailed on trying to take someones phone, depending on where you live. It's a dumb move, plain and simple, provoking a physical confrontation with a stranger. You don't know that they are even mentally stable, what kind of day they've had, etc.

You're playing with fire, and the only reason this guy did it is because it was some woman. If it had been a large man, he wouldn't have done it because he would have been in the hospital.

Yup. Let management take action. I know he alerted management, but I would have demanded a refund if management didn't act. Management should have thrown those people out. The guy is a writer too. How about writing how bad management deals with unruly customers? No one wants to go to a show where people won't STFU.

A few years ago I went to a South American museum. The rules state that taking pictures from a cell phone or any device would result in arrest. I didn't doubt that for a second.

Where i come from we call this type of person a Felon. Seriously, if you grabbed my phone from my hand and threw it, I guarantee you would be in handcuffs very quickly, facing felony malicious destruction of property and assault. This guy is not a hero, hes a criminal.

Nothing he did was a felony. And most laws are bullshit.

Back