Hexen Edge Of Chaos (Doom 3 TC)

HardOCP News

[H] News
For those of you that missed it yesterday, the Hexen Edge Of Chaos Doom 3 total conversion is now out. Check out the video below of the game in action and then head on over to the official site for a list of download mirrors. Thanks to DiSToRTNx for the link.

So we gotta have Doom 3 to play this? My copy is buried in storage somewhere...

Hexen has been on my wishlist for a long time. To bad its just a "Demo". will have to check it out.

Hopefully they follow this up with Heretic. Heretic 2 had the best Multiplayer ever!

I have it through STEAM and got it working too. Though I forget the exact process I used since it was quite awhile back when STEAM had the ID Software pack for whatever ridiculous low price.

For a little nostalgia, I'm playing it on my skt 939 X2-3800 with an AGP 7900. Display is an old Samsung 19" lcd @ 1280x1024. :) Good times...

Hexen has been on my wishlist for a long time. To bad its just a "Demo". will have to check it out.

Hopefully they follow this up with Heretic. Heretic 2 had the best Multiplayer ever!

This download is just a demo?

FTW!!!! I use to play Heretic II on my old Compaq Deskpro 4000 with a PCI Rive TNT and a 3DFX Monster II. Processor was a Pentium Pro 200MHz with 2mb cache. Woo Hoo!! Some of the best multiplayer fun in a long time. The Phoenix Bow was my favorite weapon.

This works well, it was pretty easy to do as well.

This download is just a demo?
Fileshack calls this "Doom 3 - Hexen: Edge of Chaos Demo 0.1", not sure of this is an alpha, demo or what, haven't had much time to play it, trying really had to get another lvl 80 in Wow before expansion.

From what I see so far the textures are really rough. Its really dark just like Doom3 so maybe a duct tape mod might be worthwhile sense dark scenes really suck on a lot of LCD screens, at least on mine it does.

Will have to put some more time into this later.

WOW! It makes me want to dig out the original/s!!!
I have some great memories of them game days,,, these types where thee games that made me FPS addictive!
I especially miss the days of Q1 CTF, (ThreeWave, ThunderWalker, etc) sorry, went off a little here ;)

I remember so many late night gaming parties playing co-op and multiplayer mode in Hexen 64. Call me crazy, I had about as much fun playing Hexen 64 as Goldeneye 64.. particularly co-op story mode.

Brings back some memories WOW

Just played for an hour at 1920x1080, LOL. So much fun, I cannot lie :)

got it to work and so far its awesome. def vintage gaming with better graphics

Snooze,..... boring. This game must have been invented before fun, because it isn't any.

Looks like it could be okay. Some of the game play from the video don't look that promising. Hope I am wrong (just started the download).

After playing it for a while I do have an opinion and of course must share...

First, someone did take a lot of time and should be thanked for the effort, I could never hope to make something like this and you can tell that there is some talent here but...

The environment/objects looks pretty good, some of it damn good, but the gameplay is noticeably amateur. Weapons, movement, animations and AI, for me, compared to the environment, need work. Also, it is not Hexen so much as Hexen-esque but I think they allude to that on the web site so not totally unexpected.
Some sound issues as well. Strange out of place beeps and boops.

That said, there is a lot of content and other than the sound thing didn't encounter any bugs and hell, it is a free mod.

If you're using Nvidia set your "Adjust desktop size and position" to "Do not scale" and set doom to match the vertical resolution of your LCD.

There's also manually editing the settings files.
http://doom.freakygaming.com/pc/action/doom_3/tutorials/running_doom_3_in_widescreen.html

BTW just in case anyone else had the issue the above didn't work for me as I followed the instructions like above from a different site originally and they had it ordered wrong (this should have been obvious to me but I had a brain fart). at least when I revised the order it worked.

r_mode -1 // must by the first command. then the above will work. simply place the commands in the doomconfig.cfg file in the folder \Doom3\d3xp it should look like this
seta r_mode "-1"
seta r_customHeight "1200"
seta r_customWidth "1920"
seta r_fullscreen "1"
seta r_aspectRatio "2"

not that 2 is the 10:16, you would use 1 for 19:9

damn no edit buttons

that should be note that 2 is for 16:10, you would use 1 for 16:9

Back