HHD -> SSD without reinstalling everything

Hi Guys... I just ordered the 96GB Kingston SSD drive deal. I was wondering what's the best solution to copy my C drive (windows and program installation) over to the new SSD without re-installing Windows and all the programs? TIA.

If you can short stroke whatever array/HD you are using now to go below 96GB then you could re-image it to the SSD using Windows built-in image utility.

I'd just reinstall though - it'll be clean and awesome.

(With respect to the image, I'm assuming you are using Win 7 or Vista)

Last edited:
If the SSD is at least as large as the HD, you can use clonezilla to do a disk to disk copy.

If you can short stroke whatever array/HD you are using now to go below 96GB then you could re-image it to the SSD using Windows built-in image utility.

I'd just reinstall though - it'll be clean and awesome.

(With respect to the image, I'm assuming you are using Win 7 or Vista)

this is the way to go, downsize partition, image, exchange disks, restore image. a 30 minutes tops job.

Thanks for the advice guys. I basically have 2x250GB in Raid0 which are splits into 230GB partitions.(C: & D:). I believe (need to check) C: drive is only like less than 96GB. If it's larger than 96GB I might have to do a re-installed and just put Windows on the 96GB ssd and keep the raid0 and have the program installation on the raid0 disks. I guess I have to find out all the details first and foremost.

Back