High CPU temps :(

mobia

n00b
Hello,

I recently purchased an e6400 with an Asus P5b deluxe and some corsair xms ddr2 800mhz memory (guess it's time to update the sig). It overclocks pretty well, 3.2ghz easy, totally stable with prime running over night.. the problem is my CPU temperature!

Whether I have it at stock/default settings or overclocked, I always seems to be at 50 degrees idle and up to 70 degrees on load... which is a far cry from the 24ish I'm seeing around here. I thought it might be the stock HS/F, so I went out and bought a Zalman 9500 and some arctic silver 5. No change. Even running the lowest CPU voltage, the temp stays the same (as reported in TAT and SpeedFan). At this point I'm open to any suggestions as I don't want to destroy my new machine.

You pick the wrong heatsink, should have went for Tuniq Tower 120.

I really wanted the tuniq, but they had a sale on the zalman and I had already went over the budget I set for this project. HOWEVER, although I know the tuniq would be a better solution, the zalman should still do SOMETHING, right? It's still a decent aftermarket HS/F, and it cooled at most 2 degrees less than the stock one. I'm guessing the HS/F isn't the problem considering my temps are the same when clocked at stock speeds.... no aftermarket or even stock HS/F should have a problem cooling a CPU at stock. Any other suggestions? Could it simply be reading the temp wrong? I havn't expereinced any crashes or instability yet.

The only thing I could suggest to you is to lap your hsf (if you have the patience) and remount. Clean your cpu and hsf with 91%+ pure alcohol and a lint-free cloth (coffee filter, old t-shirt, etc). Then, drop a very very small amount of AS5 (1/2 grain of rice) onto the center of the cpu, put some plastic wrap over your finger and spread the paste very very thin across the entire cpu... it should be as thin as you can possibly get it. Then, repeat the same for the hsf and then mount it as tight as you can get it without stripping the threads of your mounting screws (or damaging anything else :p)... See if that helps at all... it really comes down to the right amount of paste, generally people always use way too much, so just when you think you're using the right amount, use half of that :)

Right now I have a similar problem with my setup. I'm running E6400 @ 3.6GHz (1.45v), Tuniq (w/stock fan), P5B Deluxe and my TAT temps are 70C under load. It's only orthos smal l ffts stable for about 15mins... I can get it 12hr+ stable if I bump to 1.5v but then temps reach nearly 75C under load... just doesn't seem right. I think I messed up when I lapped the Tuniq... going to relap again later. But anyways, try the above method and let me know how it goes! Good luck!

Using a clean plastic card (such as a credit card, but use something you don't care about as much) works well for spreading out the paper-thin layer of thermal paste. It is also less messy than plastic wrap imho.

Do some research on the temperature probe for your motherboard. Update your BIOS as well. If your measuring device could very well be inaccurate.

Good luck.

Those temps are wayy to high. Use coretemp and double check your temps. If the temps are still high, I would suggest thinking about RMAing your chip. I hope you dont have to but it seems like your chip isnt working right.

Most likely it is your Zalman is mounted too loosely and with too much thermal grease.

Tried the suggestions posted, got down to about 42 idle and 53 load, which is much better, but I was expecting more from an aftermarket hsf. I notice that I can physically move the zalman (twisting). Is this normal? I have tightened the screws as much as I can. It doesn't move on it's own, but agian, I can twist it pretty easy. Any ideas?

Tried the suggestions posted, got down to about 42 idle and 53 load, which is much better, but I was expecting more from an aftermarket hsf. I notice that I can physically move the zalman (twisting). Is this normal? I have tightened the screws as much as I can. It doesn't move on it's own, but agian, I can twist it pretty easy. Any ideas?

It is OK if you can twist it a little but I would not keep twisting it.

I assume you have mounted the Zalman 9500 so it blows towards the back of the case and directly into an exhaust fan , yes? If so what is the case fan you are using for exhaust, it should be 120mm fan if you can fit one.

The temperatures you are now getting are fine by the way, I would call them good. They could be better but still good.

The bracket the zalman uses just has some slack it in. The 9700 will pivot left and right too if you pull on it. But not forward and back. Just don't touch it, it should be fine. The big thing is making sure you have it mounted flush and tight with just enough thermal compound. That's the leading cause of over heating. You're better off using slightly less than enough than using a big glob of the stuff.

Back