High-definition videos look bad...2405fpw related

Spectre726

n00b
i have been watching some highi definition trailers (1080p) from apple.com on a 2405fpw Dell LCD (1920x1200 native resolution) I notice that there are parts that are really bad. I need to know if it is my monitor or my video card or the video itself?? Because if it is the monitor, i willl return it.

When blu-ray/HD-DVD (or is hd-dvd dead?) gets here, i dont want to be stuck with a crappy monitor. Thanks everyone.

here are some pics of what i mean:

in this one, it is during a transition to another scene, its all blocky, not smooth.

pic11xv.jpg

this one also has the same blocky visuals. look at the sky

pic29kl.jpg

pic38dp.jpg

have you tried the trailers on another monitor or screen capable of running at the 1920x1200 resolution?

I'm no expert on HD Video, but I know that any video you view is affected by the video card you are using. In a recent article in Maximum PC Magazine they compared the video output of NVidia and ATI. The NVidia shots were noticably better then the ATI shots. As you will see looking at my sig, I have the Dell 2405FPW and am using NVidia cards. I have watched a couple of the HD videos from Microsoft's website and have not noticed any visual problems.

So, which video card are you using?

One thing you can do to make sure it's not the monitor is hook up your old monitor and watch the same videos and see if the same problems are present. You should be able to watch the HD Video on any monitor regardless of its maximum resolution. If the video issues are still there, then the problem is definately your video card. I'm willing to bet that it is the video card and not the monitor causing these issues.

System specs:
Pentium 4 3.2ghz
Nvidia 6800 GT 256MB
1gb Ram
Abit ic7-max3 motherboard.

I also think its the video card. The reason i need to find out is because i plan on having this monitor for a long time and maybe even get the playstation 3 and a high defintion dvd player down the road. I am going to watch it on my old monitor now.

I dont think the 2405 is what you want if your looking for a screen fantastic at everything(not sure LCD is the tech you want either). My suggestion would be to either be happy with outstanding computing on your 2405 and get a "television" capable of outstanding tv/movie/console whatchamahave. I really dont understand these people that are all like "well games and windows looks fantastic but movies and ps2 dont look that hot so its def going back", its a computer screen not a television people and if you want something thats gonna be awesome for both I dont know that you'll find it flat for what the 2405 costs. So in conclusion sit on the couch, stfu, and watch your damn movies...

Well many times the encoding sucks, you have artifacts everywhere. For example if you download any Transport Stream ( .ts) videos, you will be artifacts and jaggies

Even the WMV-HD disc of Amazon had such crappy quality

So it's not your monitor, it's those videos :)

High definiton movies look amazing on my Sony 24" FW900 CRT using a 6800GT and as of 3 days ago a 7800GTX.

I disagree with the statement that the 2405FPW is not the ideal tv/movie screen. I use it as my main screen to watch dvd's, hdtv from an avermedia A180, games, and computing, and it excels in every aspect of all of the above. i dont even own a tv because I feel the 2405 does such an excellent job, even rendering 480i/p tv. My .02.

mathesar said:
High definiton movies look amazing on my Sony 24" FW900 CRT using a 6800GT and as of 3 days ago a 7800GTX.
Same here on a decent 21" crt.

BTW there's nothing wrong with trying to use an lcd as a television, many "LCD televisions" actually have crappier panels and control boards than the 2405fpw so i suspect OP's trouble lies in software and maybe video hardware.

OP i suggest you start a thread in the HTPC forum since these exact issues are discussed daily there.

Edit: Ahh, Agent below hit upon something important...."HDCP"

Spectre,

I noticed in your post that you wanted this monitor for when blu-ray/hd-dvd when they arrive but from what I hear you are going to run into problems because of HDCP. The 2405fpw does not support HDCP and blu-ray/hd-dvd are going to require that in order to view the full resolution on your monitor that it be HDCP compatible, or else the movie will either not show up at all or be at a reduced resolution (I would imagine something like 480p).

I thought HDCP was only going to be used for the new DVD's and for digital TV's. AVI's handle resolutions well beyond 720+ but there hasn't been a reason for it (except recordings from games) because of the limited resolutions on current DVD's.

That's what I was referring to when I was talking about HDCP. He mentioned that he wanted to use blu-ray and hd-dvd when they come out but from what I have read (and I may be wrong) that when using say a blu-ray/hd-dvd movie on a PC that unless the OS supports HDCP (so far only windows vista has mentioned any sort of support) and the monitor supports it the video is downscaled or does not show up all together. As for AVIs and other video files I don't know, haven't heard anything.

HDCP also needs a DVI cable. If the PS3 is run over analog, no HDCP issues, but it probably won't look quite as good.

Deadsexy said:
I dont think the 2405 is what you want if your looking for a screen fantastic at everything(not sure LCD is the tech you want either). My suggestion would be to either be happy with outstanding computing on your 2405 and get a "television" capable of outstanding tv/movie/console whatchamahave. I really dont understand these people that are all like "well games and windows looks fantastic but movies and ps2 dont look that hot so its def going back", its a computer screen not a television people and if you want something thats gonna be awesome for both I dont know that you'll find it flat for what the 2405 costs. So in conclusion sit on the couch, stfu, and watch your damn movies...

The LCD on the 2405 is better than most TV LCD's, so why shouldn't it perform standard TV watching capabilities just as good as a "normal TV"?? Computer output pushes the LCD much harder and faster than TV output. The problem is simply that Dell used lower quality parts for the component video processing. If they would have used better parts in there, then it would have no lag problems* over component, but it would also probably cost a little more.

* I haven't personally seen these problems, just read people on here complaining about them and the 2405 not displaying 480 content correctly.

Thanks everyone. I am sure i will purchase an HDTV down the road, but i needed a new computer monitor, and since i had to get it, i wanted to make sure i have something that will perform like a tv as well.

About the HDCP thing, how many tv's and monitors already come equipped with it? I don't think there are that many yet. If the HDCP prevents us from seeing the best picture quality, then what is the point of blue-ray/hd-dvd. Im sure that there will be a way to still get full 1080 resolution withotu having an hdcp ready monitor/tv.

Not many HDTVs support HDCP and even fewer monitors support. There is a great thread here about current monitors with HDCP:
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=960917

As to what the point of Blu-ray/HD-DVD the point is HD resolution DVDs but the movie companies feel they need to protect their content which I don't all together disagree with. Here is a great article over at Ars Technica about why they really think Microsoft and Intel decided to back HD-DVD instead of Blu-Ray. Personally I am taking a wait and see and backing which ever one seems to be the best technology. I think it's kind of up in the air right now.
http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/hardware/microsoft-hd-dvd.ars

OP, those look like screenshots.....that rules out the display. Besides, it just looks like compression to me.

Sarbz nailed it, if those are screen shots, they are taken from the video-output, your computer doesn't actually photograph the screen, so the problem has to be before the display. Also, I agree, they look like compression artifacts. Compressed HD can look good, but it is still compressed, and you get MPEG artifacts from time to time.

To other posters: ATI cards beat the hell out of nVidia for video/DVD/MPEG output quality, has been that way for years.

The vast majority of HDTVs put out over the past three or so years support HDCP, some through DVI, some through HDMI, HDMI is the new connection standard that most sets don't have, but it is not required for HDCP compliace. You are correct that there are very few HDCP computer monitors though (the gateway 21" is the only one I know about).

Personally, I wouldn't worry about HDCP though, it is going to piss a hell of a lot of people off, and it will be cracked rather quickly once it gets put into the OS.

I've read several reviews about movies & the Dell 2405fpw - most of them say movies look *awful*, and this is testing on all kinds of machines...

To other posters: ATI cards beat the hell out of nVidia for video/DVD/MPEG output quality, has been that way for years.

Doesnt sound like you've used any recent Nvidia videocards :rolleyes: Coming from a 9800 Pro I can tell you thats not true anymore. If anything they're on par with each other.

Even tho the blockines exists in the video itself Im willing to bet the OPs screenshots look worse on an LCD vs. CRT mainly due to LCD's overbrightness & dithering ,which ends up exaggerating everything.

Not trying to start a CRT vs. LCD war here im just going by my experiance of running CRT & LCD side by side.

mathesar said:
Doesnt sound like you've used any recent Nvidia videocards :rolleyes: Coming from a 9800 Pro I can tell you thats not true anymore. If anything they're on par with each other.

Even tho the blockines exists in the video itself Im willing to bet the OPs screenshots look worse on an LCD vs. CRT mainly due to LCD's overbrightness & dithering ,which ends up exaggerating everything.

Not trying to start a CRT vs. LCD war here im just going by my experiance of running CRT & LCD side by side.

I haven't run the newest generation, but I knew it was still true in the 9700pro vs. whatever nVidia had then, then of course, supposedly Matrox at the time beat the pants off of them both.

No, you are right about CRTs and being less harsh on bad signals. And LCD will show a bad signal in all of its glory, and even exaggerate certain aspects, a CRT does a much better job at smearing it out... Which is why I think CRT technology makes a much better choice for TV, and LCD makes a better choice for computer screens.

Uhm...PureVideo anyone? And you can also get it for "free", if you know what I mean... ;)

I had the 2405FWP for a little while (returned it because of the input lag). I found the exact same artifacts that you see, in games and movies. I'm using an Nvidia 6800GT so that wasn’t the case for me. I think that it has to do with the fact that lcds make imperfections more obvious than crts because the picture is much sharper. So I think it is just the content.

is the performance of hi def video governed by the processor, or the video card? HD videos off apple.com run horribly (they LOOK fine, but they skip like crazy, almost like a slideshow). I have a pretty old computer (amdxp 2400, Nv ti4200), and will be getting a new one soon. Should i get a better video card, or a better processor?

Orange.exe said:
is the performance of hi def video governed by the processor, or the video card? HD videos off apple.com run horribly (they LOOK fine, but they skip like crazy, almost like a slideshow). I have a pretty old computer (amdxp 2400, Nv ti4200), and will be getting a new one soon. Should i get a better video card, or a better processor?
Both, but it also could be a codec problem. Reinstall QT.

OP, try WMV HD videos. It could just be the QT HD videos which have artifacts.

Back