high end nvidia pci-x, when?

HydrasunGQ

[H]ard|Gawd
Does anyone know more or less when we'll see a high end nvidia pci-express card? also how well do the pci express X800XT perform?

You can't get a 6800GT or ultra yet?
As for how it will do, the X800XT is deciseivly faster, more so than the GT is faster than the X800pro.
The X800pro doesn't really have much theoretical advantages over the X800pro, but the XT has signicantly higher clock speeds, that's why nvidia have reviewers the ultra extreme, but even it could not topple the mightly XT:D

well if you can get a 6800gt or ultra pci express card I would like to know from where?

Moloch said:
the X800XT is deciseivly faster, more so than the GT is faster than the X800pro.
The X800pro doesn't really have much theoretical advantages over the X800pro, but the XT has signicantly higher clock speeds, that's why nvidia have reviewers the ultra extreme, but even it could not topple the mightly XT
[sarcasm]
I'm so glad you're back from your ban, I really missed reading your impartial and informative posts.
[/sarcasm]

Actually, anyone who isn't biased towards one particular graphics company will tell you that both NV and ATi's high-end cards are fairly equally matched. Both have certain games they shine in but generally there's not much between them. The 6800-series GPU has incomplete functionality when it comes to it's video processor and they consume slightly more (a lot more when idle) power than ATi's X800 does. Also, the X800XT can be modded for some mega-overclocks (700MHz+) if you're an extreme overclocker. However, the PCIe 6800GT/U has SLi-capability for the possiblity of a future kick-ass upgrade, better future-proofing with SM3.0 and support for OpenEXR HDR (FarCry 1.3).

But quite often it comes down to availability - get what you can get unless you're happy to wait. :)

I've been wanting to build this A64 since before A64 chips came out. But everytime I'm about to build it something else that I really want is announced and since my current system hasn't been that bad to me I decide to wait. First it was the A64 chips themselves, then it was socket 939, then it was pci express and now its an SLI setup. I'll never build this thing if I keep waiting but the way I see it is that all these things are worth waiting for because all these technologies help in future proofing my setup. For example 64bit computing, socket 939 for future cpu's, pci-express for the obvious reasons, and SLI so that I can upgrade to a second card if needed. What do you guys think?

HydrasunGQ said:
I've been wanting to build this A64 since before A64 chips came out. But everytime I'm about to build it something else that I really want is announced and since my current system hasn't been that bad to me I decide to wait. First it was the A64 chips themselves, then it was socket 939, then it was pci express and now its an SLI setup. I'll never build this thing if I keep waiting but the way I see it is that all these things are worth waiting for because all these technologies help in future proofing my setup. For example 64bit computing, socket 939 for future cpu's, pci-express for the obvious reasons, and SLI so that I can upgrade to a second card if needed. What do you guys think?

nForce4 SLI boards will be out in a month. Grab one of those and preorder that PCI-e 6800U because it might take a month to get that 6800U even if the ship date says 11/12. Get a socket 939 A64 3500+. 1GB of ram should be fine with it. Later down the road if you want you can then buy another pci-e 6800u and do SLI. Then you can be happy, because your cpu and videocard will both be upgradable :)

Oh but you save $20!
Retail Price: $699.00
Our Price: $679.00
You Save: $20.00 (3%)

You can spend the $20 on gas driving to your night job!
There's no reason to buy now. Prices will only go down.

There will be no (AFAIK) pci-x video cards.

perhaps pci-e but not pci-x

pci-x is for scsi & network controllers in HIGH END (non desktop) boards.

Rob

Back