High Load temps on Overclocked X6800?

managerman

Limp Gawd
Hello,

I just completed by new rig (specs below) and I have a question....

I have a huge jump in CPU temp from idle to Load...I am pumping a lot of volts (1.55) through the chip and it is Prime stable at 3.8 Ghz but, the temps (according to AI booster) are this: idle 40C and Dual Priming Load 67C!! :eek:

I am watercooling so not sure If I have bad contact between the block and the CPU or for my situation is what I am seeing normal?

This is one fast CPU...I will post some screens after work today...

Also I have been seeing a lot of posts about the X6800 hitting 4Ghz with little problem...Hmmm...Is mine just the luck of the draw at 3.8?? The board will not post at 4Ghz.....Again this is Stepping B2 OEM not ES..

Thanks in advance for any advice...

-M

Yes...I plan on re-applying AS5 tonight to see if that is the issue...My default temp at idle (non-overclocked) is 29C....so I think contact is good...but I will retry tonight...

-M

Wow i get idel temps of 45C and under heavy load (2 primes -2 hours on small FFT, and 1 hour with Large FFT, 2xPIs 1M, 3D Mark06, FFXI benchmark 2loops.) all the benchies ran one after the other with no break in between and the highest i got was 63C on Air.I have the PD 805 at 3.5Ghz

managerman said:
Hello,

I just completed by new rig (specs below) and I have a question....

I have a huge jump in CPU temp from idle to Load...I am pumping a lot of volts (1.55) through the chip and it is Prime stable at 3.8 Ghz but, the temps (according to AI booster) are this: idle 40C and Dual Priming Load 67C!! :eek:

I am watercooling so not sure If I have bad contact between the block and the CPU or for my situation is what I am seeing normal?

This is one fast CPU...I will post some screens after work today...

Also I have been seeing a lot of posts about the X6800 hitting 4Ghz with little problem...Hmmm...Is mine just the luck of the draw at 3.8?? The board will not post at 4Ghz.....Again this is Stepping B2 OEM not ES..

Thanks in advance for any advice...

-M

Please post the following info over at the Conroe Overclock Database:

CPU Code (see post 1)
CPU Week (see post 1)
BIOS version
Memory timings

Your memory speed was 950 for this overclock right?

Back