High-pitched sound from HP LP2065

zyxi

n00b
First of all, let me just say I've posted this in another forum too (on another site), I hope that's OK.

I've just received my HP LP2065 (I can confirm it uses an S-IPS panel) and it emits a high-pitched sound while operating :( I'd really appreciate any comments from people with the same problem...

Let me give as many details as I can. The sound is not very loud - although it was a blow to my ears (and my health!) when I first turned it on. You probably could not hear it in a noisy environment, but it's very quiet here and it's aggravating to hear it in the background. Perhaps strangely, it is loudest when the screen is dark. For instance, when I turn it on/off before it syncronises with the video signal and the screen is all black, that's when it makes the worst buzz. Also, when using dead pixel buddy, the sound is most audible when display an all-black screen (it's not so much that it's louder, but it's different and more conspicuous).

As an aside, I had a laptop which emitted the exact same sound (although louder), and its screen died a few weeks later. The fault was with the inverter unit, and after RMAing it and getting the inverter replaced, the whine disappeared.

So I'm thinking my unit just might be defective. I'd really like your input to make up my mind whether to call HP and get it replaced. It's really a pity because I like this monitor a lot - and this particular one has no dead/bright/stuck pixels.

I hope to write a mini-review on the unit once I get everything sorted.

I would definitely call HP and get a replacement. It's not a good sign when electronics without moving, mechanical parts have a sound like that..

I would get it RMA'd if I were you. The FL Inverter board in LCD's can make a noise like that, and it is what powers the backlight so it would suck if it went out on you.

Yeah I think I'll have to do that... a pity because this particular screen seems really good: no dead/stuck pixels and not much backlight bleed.

But I can't stand this buzz, so RMA it will have to be :(

Back