Hiper Type R 580 Watt enough for 2 8800GTS?

AP11689

n00b
Hey guys, I am new here. Have been out of the computer game for about 1 1/2 years. Just went all out and bought 3000 dollars worth of stuff. HAHA. Anyway, would I be safe with a 580W with 2 8800GTS? I for some reason just think that 700W is overkill. I have also looked at some sites that actually found out the draw from the cards, and say that anything over 550 would be fine. If you guys think it wouldnt be enough, I would go ahead and get that 250 watt Thermaltake 5 1/4 inch PSU add on. That would put me over 800 watts between the two power supplies. Any thoughts?

I think over 550 is fine...

I've seen the Wattage usage for different CPUs with vid cards plugged in, running CPU tests and everything stays below 400-450...

As long as you don't have a physics card, sound card, network card, HD tuner, 10 powered USB devices, 2 DVD burners, 1 Blu-ray player, 6 harddrives, and 12 fans... I think 500-600 watts is enough for most modern gaming systems...

The stuff I would have along with the video cards is one raptor, one dvd burner, and a dual core amd, and 2 fans, and one sound card. PCI cards need what, like 13 watts? I am pretty sure I am in the clear. Thanks for the reassurance.

Just curious, what games are you playing that require SLI 8800GTS? You'd probably be better off with just one GTX, since that dominates every game out right now and would be slightly less expensive, run cooler, use less power, etc etc.

Company of heroes, tiberium wars, and some other stuff playing at some pretty steep resolutions. Example is playing tiberium wars on my 26 inch lcd tv at max resolution.

SLI is really only useful if you want like 16/32x AF and AA ;)

I regret going SLI 7950GT's over 1 8800GTX...

My bad, 117 watts under load according to http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/forums.asp?s=2&c=7&t=9354

Regardless, I honestly believe it can handle it. What I will do is when I get everything built. I will take a look at the 12V rail, and see how many watts are being used, and if necessary I will buy that 250 watt Thermaltake video card powersupply as an add on for over 800 watts.

My calculated usage, http://www.extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine

417 Watts total, with 85% PSU load. I mean honestly people, don't you think its overkill for 750 watt power supplies? All I am gonna be having is 1 hard drive, 1 Optical drive, 2 video cards, 1 sound card, and my dual core processor. I honestly do think that the 580 will be enough and 630 peak.

That's idle. Not the load.

maybe idle for the entire system:rolleyes: 111 idle for just a single GTS my ass.

Besides if im not mistaken the absolute maximum a GTS can draw is ~140 watts either way because it only has a single PCI-E connector.

I must have missed it someplace but are you talking about the 320MB GTS or the 640MB GTS? I believe you will be covered on the SLI 320MB GTS but you may be borderline using SLI 640MB GTS video cards. IMHO, plan for a 25% over power PSU to allow for surges and such. Also, there are no specs on any cards while trying to run DX10 games. Power over protection now could cost you a few extra dollars. But replacing the entire PSU later could be much more expensive.

Good Luck...

640 MB GTS, Like I said before, I will take a look at the rails on wednesday, cuz the other video card is comin next week. If need be, I will buy that 250 Watt thermaltake as an add on. I am certain I would be in the clear.

As mentioned above.. that psu might have enough watts, but it doesn't have the amps on the 12v that the 8800 needs.

Any particular reason you went for that Hiper PSU instead e.g. Silverstone ST50-EF PLUS or Antec Truepower Trio 550W which cost about the same but are noticebly stronger where it counts?

The best place for this discussion would be the power supply forums. I suggest you post there and ask.

Buy a single GTX and add another later down the road when the price is cheaper.

Hey guys, I am new here. Have been out of the computer game for about 1 1/2 years. Just went all out and bought 3000 dollars worth of stuff. HAHA. Anyway, would I be safe with a 580W with 2 8800GTS? I for some reason just think that 700W is overkill. I have also looked at some sites that actually found out the draw from the cards, and say that anything over 550 would be fine. If you guys think it wouldnt be enough, I would go ahead and get that 250 watt Thermaltake 5 1/4 inch PSU add on. That would put me over 800 watts between the two power supplies. Any thoughts?

does ur 12V rail have over 44A? also if ur ocing make sure u have over 55A, watt counts don't mean crap when ur 12V rail sucks ass to handle the cards

I mean honestly people, don't you think its overkill for 750 watt power supplies? All I am gonna be having is 1 hard drive, 1 Optical drive, 2 video cards, 1 sound card, and my dual core processor.

Yeah...for you. I have 4 HDD's, 88GTS, 5 case fans, 64 X2 6000+, 2GB ram, with 2 usb mice, 1 usb keyboard, card reader, optical drive, wireless adapter ect...

If you ever want to upgrade you'd get your @ss a new / better PSU. I know you don't want to spend the money but the Thermaltake Toughpower 700W is just around $144 and is what I use. Quiet, modular, couldn't be happier.

Personally I would never run a rig like that on anything lower than 620W.

Yeah...for you. I have 4 HDD's, 88GTS, 5 case fans, 64 X2 6000+, 2GB ram, with 2 usb mice, 1 usb keyboard, card reader, optical drive, wireless adapter ect...

If you ever want to upgrade you'd get your @ss a new / better PSU. I know you don't want to spend the money but the Thermaltake Toughpower 700W is just around $144 and is what I use. Quiet, modular, couldn't be happier.

Personally I would never run a rig like that on anything lower than 620W.

Why? 700 watts is overkill even for your rig. There are people running SLI'd GTX's with the corsair HX620 you cant tell me your rig pulls near the numbers dual GTX's do.

Besides its not so much about the wattage 12V AMPS>Wattage when deciding on a PSU.

Yea I appreciate the responses guys. I think what I will do if I need more power I will get that 250 watt thermaltake psu add on. It has i think 40 some amps combined, cuz it has two rails. Only 50 bucks and has some really good reviews.

Nobody has mentioned efficiency.

580 watts at 77% efficiency = 446 watts.

360 watts on the 12V at 77% efficiency = 277 watts.

Trying to decipher the power supply game myself, are these numbers not more realistic? What's written on the box doesn't seem to be what you get with power supplies due to efficiency.

Johnny Guru review

Trying to decipher the power supply game myself, are these numbers not more realistic? What's written on the box doesn't seem to be what you get with power supplies due to efficiency.

Johnny Guru review

you're going backwards.

If a PSU is said to output 600w at 80% efficiency, then pulling 600w from it would require 720w from the wall... It's output isn't decreased by 20%. But you're absolutely right, a PSU said to output 600w might only output 600w if there's substantial load on the 3.3v and 5v lines as well as major draw from the 12v line. This is what happens when the Vregs are cross-regulated...

Temp plays a large role too, a PSU will be much more efficient at 25c than 45c...

OP, incase you're wondering... the "01" system in my sig pulls 378w from the wall, which translates to about 290w from the PSU... Adding in another GTS should increase that to 440 (supposing you heavily OC everything). This is running a 580w psu quite close to it's startup limit... but the difference between 450 and 580 is still giving 24% leeway, just short of the "normal" 30% most people prefer.

Johnny Guru review

This particular power supply is 580 W at the average 85% efficiency and 630 W peak.

Yea I appreciate the responses guys. I think what I will do if I need more power I will get that 250 watt thermaltake psu add on. It has i think 40 some amps combined, cuz it has two rails. Only 50 bucks and has some really good reviews.

What do they say about the noise it makes? 40mm fans don't sound good (pun intended).

They said it made relatively little noise. I mean its not a large fan, and I doubt it is pulling much air. I wouldnt really care to be honest with you. You can look some of the reviews on google.

Back