HiS vs. Sapphire x1950 AGP? $50 price difference???

Spare-Flair

Supreme [H]ardness
Up here in Canada, I have two places that I can buy these cards from but the HiS x1950 AGP 512MB is about $50 cheaper on sale right now. Basically the HiS is $270 CDN at ncix.com and the Sapphire is $320 locally at Memory Express (but this means returns are easier).

The Sapphire I think is clocked a little faster and has 2 molexes for power while the HiS has a PCI-E power connector. Is it worth it for me to spend the extra for the Sapphire?

What is the difference between these cards? (both are the slim cooler version, I need to put it into a Shuttle). I'd also need to get a molex to pci-express adapter but part of me says that powering the sapphire with two molexes makes more sense because I only have a 250w PSU in the Shuttle.

I have the HIS version of this card and really like it so far.
I'm not sure what you mean by a shuttle but it takes a lot of power for this card to run.

There is still one thing I don't understand

I my PSU doens't have a PCI-E power connector, does that mean I can't use the HIS version?

There is still one thing I don't understand

I my PSU doens't have a PCI-E power connector, does that mean I can't use the HIS version?

The HiS connector is 6-pin. You'll need an adapter from molex to that.

Up here in Canada, I have two places that I can buy these cards from but the HiS x1950 AGP 512MB is about $50 cheaper on sale right now. Basically the HiS is $270 CDN at ncix.com and the Sapphire is $320 locally at Memory Express (but this means returns are easier).

The Sapphire I think is clocked a little faster and has 2 molexes for power while the HiS has a PCI-E power connector. Is it worth it for me to spend the extra for the Sapphire?

What is the difference between these cards? (both are the slim cooler version, I need to put it into a Shuttle). I'd also need to get a molex to pci-express adapter but part of me says that powering the sapphire with two molexes makes more sense because I only have a 250w PSU in the Shuttle.

DO NOT buy either one of those cards if all you have is a 250w PSU. You will not be able to power those cards. You need at least 320w and 30amps on a single +12v rail to power it. So you'll need a 500w or higher PSU with either 30+ amps on a single +12v rail or a multi +12v rail PSU that COMBINES amperage for the +12v.

Examples of PSUs that would run those cards:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817812004
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817703005
Those 2 examples are pricey but it's what you need for reliable, clean, and required power.
Note the Muskin while only having 20a on a single rail, combines amperage when a peripheal demands it. So you would end up with say 40a on your +12v which would meet the requirements for the x1950 Pro AGP.

I went through all this just recently so hopefully I'll help you avoid the headaches I encountered. I had this PSU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817171001 and it wouldn't power it enough to even let me POST. Also I would suggest getting the HIS with the 6pin PCI-E connector since you'll have to get a new PSU if you want to run that card. The single PCI-E connection is cleaner and less hassle than 2 molexes. I have the Sapphire and wish I had the HIS instead.

DO NOT buy either one of those cards if all you have is a 250w PSU. You will not be able to power those cards. You need at least 320w and 30amps on a single +12v rail to power it. So you'll need a 500w or higher PSU with either 30+ amps on a single +12v rail or a multi +12v rail PSU that COMBINES amperage for the +12v.

Examples of PSUs that would run those cards:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817812004
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817703005
Those 2 examples are pricey but it's what you need for reliable, clean, and required power.
Note the Muskin while only having 20a on a single rail, combines amperage when a peripheal demands it. So you would end up with say 40a on your +12v which would meet the requirements for the x1950 Pro AGP.

I went through all this just recently so hopefully I'll help you avoid the headaches I encountered. I had this PSU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817171001 and it wouldn't power it enough to even let me POST. Also I would suggest getting the HIS with the 6pin PCI-E connector since you'll have to get a new PSU if you want to run that card. The single PCI-E connection is cleaner and less hassle than 2 molexes. I have the Sapphire and wish I had the HIS instead.

I've run many an X1950 PRO with only 18A on the 12v rail, and I've not had any of them crash and burn, or perform under what I expected out of them.

I wish I'd had your experience then Mark_Warner but the Cooler Master I had just wouldn't do it. The two +12v rails on it were 18a and 16a so it should have powered it but didn't. I still say the the OP will have to upgrade from that 250w PSU though. He may be able to get away with something like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817148009 but the quality seems sketchy. I always recommend spending the extra $$$ on a high-end/quality PSU. And while every review and my own experience says that the Cooler Master PSU I have is such, it wasn't able to power the Sapphire X1950Pro for whatever reason.

I wish I'd had your experience then Mark_Warner but the Cooler Master I had just wouldn't do it. The two +12v rails on it were 18a and 16a so it should have powered it but didn't. I still say the the OP will have to upgrade from that 250w PSU though. He may be able to get away with something like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817148009 but the quality seems sketchy. I always recommend spending the extra $$$ on a high-end/quality PSU. And while every review and my own experience says that the Cooler Master PSU I have is such, it wasn't able to power the Sapphire X1950Pro for whatever reason.

The 250 W probably will not be sufficient for an AGP X1950 PRO. I would agree with that. I have heard not good things about Cooler Master power supplies in general. The PSU I use is a 620 W Corsair HX620W.

The HiS connector is 6-pin. You'll need an adapter from molex to that.

and HIS doesn't supply the 4-pin molex to 6-pin pice adapter with the card, btw... you'll have to pick that up seperately.

as far as HIS vs Sapphire, i've heard of a lot of issues with the Sapphire x1950pro, and their warranty/rma process is the worst of the bunch also (they will charge you $30 CDN to "process" your rma).. something to think about when considering brands.

I've run many an X1950 PRO with only 18A on the 12v rail, and I've not had any of them crash and burn, or perform under what I expected out of them.

i certainly wouldn't use that as a general rule as it depends on how many devices the psu runs, and how capable the psu is...

i've run a couple of em, and had random shudown/reboot issues with 480w/18a 12v psu, which was resolved by installing an quality psu.

when it comes to psu's, it's better to have too much than not enough..

On Sudhian, there have been many people who have reported success with using their cards in small form factor Shuttles with only 250 watt PSUs. Perhaps the lower power requirments of a typical Shuttle allows you to use this.

I was just wondering if there was some merit to choosing the two molex solution versus the one 6-pin connector solution.

and HIS doesn't supply the 4-pin molex to 6-pin pice adapter with the card, btw... you'll have to pick that up seperately.

as far as HIS vs Sapphire, i've heard of a lot of issues with the Sapphire x1950pro, and their warranty/rma process is the worst of the bunch also (they will charge you $30 CDN to "process" your rma).. something to think about when considering brands.

I thought Sapphire was suppose to be the better one?

I am thinking of getting x1950 too but I still can't decided which one. The HIS version have a 30 dollar MIR, which is really tempting.

I was thinking of using that 30 dollar from MIR and get another GPU cooler, maybe like a VF900.

Your do you guys think?

I am thinking of getting x1950 too but I still can't decided which one. The HIS version have a 30 dollar MIR, which is really tempting.

I was thinking of using that 30 dollar from MIR and get another GPU cooler, maybe like a VF900.

Your do you guys think?

There have been just as many problems with the HIS, just depends on what Forum your on and the group of users. I've spent a whole lot of time on OverclockersUK Forum recently and the card of discussion there is the HIS ICEQ3 Turbo 512MB card. RMA'd mine 2 weeks ago and just got my replacement card today. I'm not putting down HIS here either, I'm just saying no manufacturer is producing the perfect X1950 Pro and it's possible to get a bad card from anyone. My replacement HIS card works great by the way.

As far as your plan to slap a Zalman on the HIS with the stock sink using the rebate. Great idea. Very, Very smart.

Your do you guys think?

i got this HIS model. runs great, and you wouldn't have to void the warranty by replacing the HS/F.

Hmm

Do they really know I took the HSF off?

I mean, if anything goes wrong... Can't I just slap it back on and send it back to them?

How do they know?

Hmm

Do they really know I took the HSF off?

I mean, if anything goes wrong... Can't I just slap it back on and send it back to them?

How do they know?

Your way is a gamble, but a very small one in my opinion if you're confident in your ability. So no, they wouldn't know as long as you're neat.

I have an Antec TruePower 480, 22A on the 12+ line.

can I run this vid card? my GF6800 is kaput, so I'm using a spare PCI vid card right now....ok for surfing...but thats it.

I don't wanna upgrade my system right now as its pretty OK...

Pentium 4 3.0ghz @ 3.6gHz
2x 1GB ram at very aggressive timings
etc etc...and rock stable....often go weeks without rebooting

can I run this vid card? my GF6800 is kaput, so I'm using a spare PCI vid card right now....ok for surfing...but thats it.

yes

pretty sure I just landed a job with better benifits and $10k more a year.

think I'll just order myself an alienware rig, or build one myself from scratch....

Of course I could pickup an AGP card....7800GS is a safe bet, or risk the power hungry x1950.... this would hold me until Vista gets upto gaming and software acceptance levels I'm happy with....

think I'll just order myself an alienware rig, or build one myself from scratch....

If you decide not to build from scratch, you're better off going with AVA Direct, Velocity Micro, or Maingear. Alienware isn't worth the extra cost. Read the computer system reviews here at [H].

officially, No but you probably can get away with it. from what i have seen lately ATI over exaggerates power requirements while Nvidia is pretty much spot on with theirs.

Back