Hissing/crackling while playing music or gaming x-fi (possibly direct x related?)

proooooof

n00b
While trying to resolve a looping audio issue with dead space on XP, I came across a solution that involved removing a 'ghost' modem sound driver (weird, I know) that existed despite the fact that the modem was physically removed awhile ago. Well, now my x-fi xtrememusic exhibits annoying static while listening to music and I get hardware audio acceleration issues in most games. I can avoid this by using WMP (strangely) or by choosing the kernel streaming output in foobar 2000. Both choices yield perfectly clear audio, the same as what using direct sound in foobar 2000 previously produced. Games still produce audio glitching, no matter the sound acceleration level (which has been and is set at full). It is for this reason that I blame direct x (or direct sound, whichever handles audio).

My audio drivers are updated (the July 08 version I think) and all programs produce normal audio with default settings when I'm using vista (dual boot). I've started threads at head-fi and creative's forums but haven't really gotten anywhere, so I hope that you guys can help me solve this annoying as hell problem.

Back