History of the Dreamcast

i played the dreamcast only once and found that the controller was one of the best i ever put my hands on.

I still to this day, play MDK2. One of the hardest games ever!

Daytona USA and Worms Word Party over a 56k modem FTW!

I actually seen a Dreamcast for 28 bucks at a Flee Market yesterday with one controller, can you still buy the games for it?

I loved Hydrothunder and Berserk.

I still to this day, play MDK2. One of the hardest games ever!

Daytona USA and Worms Word Party over a 56k modem FTW!

Worm World Party, when it actually worked, was the funnest thing I ever played on a console. To this day. I miss worms. I was a god at that game...

I actually seen a Dreamcast for 28 bucks at a Flee Market yesterday with one controller, can you still buy the games for it?

I loved Hydrothunder and Berserk.

Yeah I can walk into a number of buy back / Exchange stores here in ohio and pick up a DC for 20 bucks. Theres only one store out here that sells games tho, and not really a huge selection either..

My favorite system still. I remember how excited I was to get and play Chu Chu Rocket on the first day it came out. First online console game.

Absolutely great console though. This thread has made me nostalgic so i'll have to grab it back from my parents home next time i'm there haha.

I proud owner of the DC here. I use it to this day with my VGA adapter. I loved Soul Reaver, Soul Calibour, MDK2, great stuff. Headhunter was pretty cool too!

I love how it had 480p! Amazing for a Late ninties console.

I picked mine up at the Goodwill (all cords, 2 controllers and I found a few games as well) for 50 cents! Then hit up eBay for some more games, and a pack of controllers, memory cards, RF adapter and a few other little accessories for $5. :) Sweet deals to be had if you can find them! :)

Just remembered Virtua Striker 2, wasted so many hours on that with mates. I really need to dig it out of the shed altho it may ruin my rose tinted glasses seeing it on a 55" tv :(

I have a dreamcast somewhere, got no controllers for it though lol

I know some others will disagree, but I still maintain that piracy killed the dreamcast.

Eh, at that time? Highly doubtful. Sega's licensing terms which scared away developers played a huge role.

Sure, piracy is rampant now.. but back then it was only a small chunk of individuals who were savvy to do such a thing (pirate console games).

i agree piracy killed the dc, people were pirating games since the ps1

Better graphics than the Wii. Kind of ridiculous when you really think about it.

Yeah I can walk into a number of buy back / Exchange stores here in ohio and pick up a DC for 20 bucks. Theres only one store out here that sells games tho, and not really a huge selection either..

Most of the Exchanges have a small selection of DC games, I think the one in canton had the most (off cleveland ave). It's been awhile since I was there last though. One I never seem to find is Spawn, a friend told me it was good but never had a chance to play it.

I got a DC as a x-mas gift in 2000 (of course I wanted a PS2 instead). I tried some games on it but it never captured my attention plus knowing it was already a dead system didn't help. It has been it is original box since shortly after I got it. I'd say it maybe has 5hrs of usage on the system!

Piracy wasn't what took the DC down, it was just bad decisions by SEGA. Emu's/Homebrew has been the only thing that has kept warmth in peoples hearts about this system.

thanks for the links.

i never had a dreamcast but i love playing them when i find them.

Dreamcast was played more than any other system i've ever owned.

3 player NHL 2k, Blitz, Quake 3, powerstone.. etc.

Nothing was better than that at the time. Ps2 didn't get half as much play.

The only thing I consider even close to dreamcast in terms of multiplayer fun factor since the dreamcast is the wii. These other systems just don't have that "it" that dreamcast had. Same with the n64 and multiplayer.

I really really wish dreamcast was still relevant today. I'd love all the games re released on another system at some point. Original dreamcast games, not a sequel or anything.

i played the dreamcast only once and found that the controller was one of the best i ever put my hands on.

Truth! The dreamcast was my favorite console of all time, better, in my opinion, than the Nintendo 64!

Mines still hooked up on the TV next to me. MvC2, Super Puzzle Fighter 2, and Giga Wing 2 get regular use. Still looking for more games to add to the ol' library. Damn shame what happened to SEGA's hardware division.

DC was my fav console too. fantasic machine and what killed it was the pirating AND lack of support from devs like EA.

then again who cares about EA. they make shit buggy games anyway. SEGA could of surived without them. there games where much more innovating like shenmue, crazy taxi, jet set radio etc. im still yet to see a game besides MGS4 that truely is innovating and unique.

Eh, at that time? Highly doubtful. Sega's licensing terms which scared away developers played a huge role.

Sure, piracy is rampant now.. but back then it was only a small chunk of individuals who were savvy to do such a thing (pirate console games).

I was in high school at the time and it was crazy, there were several people who were selling games. I can think of maybe 1 person that owned one who didn't pirate.

It was sega's fault for not protecting the console, at all. IIRC you never needed a modchip, at first it was just a bootdisk, then after a while people figured out how to get around that, and you could run games off a cdr burned directly off your computer without doing anything to your console. Pathetic on sega's part to allow this.

Obviously there were other factors as well, such as shoddy third party support and poor advertising, but it seems strange that it failed when there were so many good games and devoted fans. You would think that would be enough of a niche for it to still make some money.

i love my DC, but my first unit wouldn't read half my games after a year. That was year 2000, a few years ago i bought a used one that seemed in good condition, but i'm so afriad to use it because the shitty laser gets worn out so easily.

i still talk to some of the folks i met on chuchu rocket today :)

the REAL Dreamcast history:

9/9/99: Dreamcast comes out.... and it ROCKS

(intervening years): Dreamcast still ROCKING

10/7/08: Dreamcast still ROCKS

my favorite console ever.... mostly because I'm a fighting game nut....

my best memories are of playing Marvel vs Capcom 1 in 4 player mode with my 3 best friends as a high schooler.... ahhh man... sweet times....

Back