Hitachi 1TB? (Deskstar 7K1000.B)

The Hunter

Limp Gawd
I know asking for opinions on a hard drive or manufacturer is a good way to get a bunch of anecdotal horror stories, but I'm doing it anyway.

I'm looking to get one or two new drives for my Linux mdadm based raid5. Ordinarily I'd just go with a WD drive since a dollar or two here or there doesn't make a big difference, but there's a solid deal on these Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000.B drives, enough that I'd like to pull the trigger.

My question is, what is everyone's general opinion of the reliability and other issues. Any known problems with controllers, etc?

I have 5 in my WHS no problems at all. I bought 4 from the 'egg 1 from tiger and have had no issues with packing. I just popped one in tonight added to share and everything is good. I want to get 3 more, hope the price keeps dropping.

Have 6, no issues. There's also a set of 8 at work, no issues there.

Hitachi is all good with me, I have 4x750GB ones from about a year ago, they run great. A bit hot/noisy though, but no issues thus far.

3 in RAID0 on ich10r but its been less then a month now so cant really say good or bad.

have 3 of these as well. great speed/size for the price but they do get slightly more warm to the touch than my seagate 7200.11 drives. have had no problems so far.

Brought 2 (not sure if it's the same model) about a year and a half ago, now they're doing duty as a backup drive in RAID 0, no problems at all.

Thanks for the opinions guys. Unfortunately I waffled and the deal expired on me, but if I'm lucky I'll have one at at decent price coming to me along with a 1TB GP soon enough.

They are available from ZZF for $70 and a little more from the Egg ($75).

They seem to get cheaper every week.

Yeah, prices have really dropped over the last week and a half or so in Canada. Lots of sales on, which usually are an indicator of where the "regular" prices will be in a few more weeks time. NCIX had this Hitachi for $79.99, and 1TB WD GP drives are going around $85-90 at a few places. Cheap enough that I was able to replace my 500GB drives with the equivalent capacity in 1TB and sell my existing ones for a couple dollars profit.

Just ordered one of these from ZZF. I saw a deal for 2 drives for 110, that's a ridiculous price.

Back