HITACHI 5K3000 2TB $60 AR$10

yeah first $60 deal for 2TB since the F4 deal a while back that was probably a price mistake. good deal!

How fast are these? If I get one to move my music and videos from my other drives, and use it to install games on, will I pleased with the access time? Or is the 54000RPM just too slow even though it's a SATA 6.0Gb/s drive?

music, and video's should be fine. Games will take longer to load but should not see a large drop in FPS from this drive.

How fast are these? If I get one to move my music and videos from my other drives, and use it to install games on, will I pleased with the access time? Or is the 54000RPM just too slow even though it's a SATA 6.0Gb/s drive?

These drives have been known to be more for storage. So installing games on them would be ok, except you will have slow load times due to the drive spinning at a lower RPM.

Damn, just received 4 of these on Thursday for $80. Is this a price mistake because they are showing up for $89.99 AR?

Showing as $89.99 AR for me too. Looks like I missed it.

The only thing you've missed so far is the ability to comprehend what you've read. But to reiterate, deal starts at 1pm Pacific time.

So, using my higher intelligence, that would be 3:00 PM central. Got it. (ties string on finger)

Anyone find any thorough reviews on these? Unfortunately looks like the SPCR crew hasn't gotten around to it yet :\

now that it's time, I can't bring myself to pull the trigger

When this thread started, there were only 7 reviews up on new egg, someone added another 3. this makes me think that something fishy might be a foot.

FYI, there was a promo on these back around 2/2, where you could get them for $79.99.

I just called Newegg and a CS rep credited me $10 for each drive I purchased on 2/2 (the difference between 79.99 then and 69.99 now).

When this thread started, there were only 7 reviews up on new egg, someone added another 3. this makes me think that something fishy might be a foot.

"Pros: Not sure yet....

Cons: .....did not provide any install equipment such as SATA cable or screws. Thanks for nothing Hatachi!"

"Pros: Price

Cons: What is the point of a SATA 6.0Gb/s interface with at 5900 RPM drive? A 5900 RPM drive can't even fully utilize SATA 3.0Gb/s interface. I guess it's to make it sound fast to sell more drives.

Other Thoughts: I own several Hitachi drives and never had any problems with them."

These aren't reviews, they are admissions of stupidity.

Last edited:
and 5400 rpm is fast enough to serve media

its faster than most previous gen 2TB 7200RPM drives, including the 7K2000, at least in sequential I/O which is where it counts when you're storing lots of large files.

5K3000 2TB is a no-brainer purchase. No firmware patching B.S. like the Samsung, and no 4K sector headaches. Solid for raid arrays and equally so for JBOD use.

These aren't reviews, they are admissions of stupidity.

+1

The number of Newegg reviews generally need to reach around 100 before you can look for real trends. Even then, they are notoriously bad. A hard drive review shouldn't depend on how many sheets of bubble wrap Newegg put in the box.

Picked one up, now I broke the 5TB barrier.

So many misconceptions about these... the Newegg page is OEM, which means no screws or cables or anything like that. Idiot reviews. Also, being SATA 6gig isn't a marketing trick to fool you. It's obvious the drive won't hit those speeds. It will still work fine in SATA 3gig ports, so who cares which one it has? And, 5900rpm isn't a terrible thing. It increases seek time and a couple other things versus 7200rpm, but the higher platter density (I read that these are four short-stroked 600GB platters) means that they still have high sequential read speeds. For something like a storage drive with a lot of media and big files, that
s what you want. I hate people who think rpm is the sole factor in determining drive performance. They're the same people who are using old 74gig Raptors because "10,000rpm zomg hax" without understanding that platter density has a huge effect on sequential reads. They're also the same people who think a 3.8GHz Deneb is faster than a 3.3GHz Sandy Bridge.

In defense of "those" people, physical rotation speed is quite a bit different than CPU clock speed.
Posted via Mobile Device

Back