HL2 Episode 2 Delayed, till Q1 2007!

the gamer

[H]ard|Gawd
damn I really wanted to play it this year,

At the recent Electronic Arts Summer Showcase Gabe Newell, CEO of Valve, announced that we will be seeing PS3 and Xbox 360 versions of Half-Life 2: Episode Two ship later this year, alongside the PC version. It looks like this may have been a case of Valve being overly eager, like they have been in the past. So if you were looking forward to pretending to be a mute with a gun come Christmas time you'll have to do it in the real world.

In an interview with Eurogamer Valve Director of Marketing, Doug Lombardi has very clearly stated that we will not be seeing Episode 2 in 2006. "It's just sort of classic Valve being overly aggressive on our dates," Lombardi said, "but we're aiming for Q1 [2007] right now, and we're really far along in the play test stage."

Lombardi also reconfirmed that both console versions of Half-Life: Episode Two will contain the original Half-Life 2, the Episode One expansion, Team Fortress 2, and the ‘brain hurting’ Portal. According to him there will also be a PC version of this pack.

He revealed that Valve will also be releasing a version of the Episode 2 for those that already have the original and Episode 1. This will contain the new episode, Portal, and Team Fortress 2. Lombardi went on to say that this version will “probably be somewhere in between Episode One [pricing] and full price."

I say at about $29.99? Sound good to everyone? Three games for that price instead of just one more short episode for HL2? when looked at that way it's a bargain really. I can better understand the reasons for delay into 2007 also when taking into consideration all diff ways they want to deliver it to their customers. Man, talk about leveraging your product in the marketplace, I like the choices because I, like most, already have the original and EP1. :)

I hope they don't consolize Ep2 for the pc. Valve isn't known to do that, but you never know.

Well that sucks. However, I'd rather see them release a working product that rushing it out the door so make a quick buck.

I guess I'll just have to wait a little while longer to play portal and relive my TFC glory days (I mistyped 'gory days' - no joke)

Eagle156 said:
I hope they don't consolize Ep2 for the pc. Valve isn't known to do that, but you never know.

Oh! No Shit! That would piss me off to no end. I still can't get that bad taste of HALO PC out of my mouth. but like you said though I would be willing to bet money that they wouldn't even dream it after spending so much time developing source engine.

Eagle156 said:

I'm guessing and hoping that since they've been primarily PC developers for so long that they're not gonna do something like that. Hopefully they also heard the complaints about Oblivion's interface.

Doesn't bother me much. I'm taking 5 classes this semester! :eek:

And I'm already very scared since I'll be picking up Neverwinter Nights 2 on release.

lol

rfwinters77 said:
Doesn't bother me much. I'm taking 5 classes this semester! :eek:

And I'm already very scared since I'll be picking up Neverwinter Nights 2 on release.

lol

HAHAHA *laughs while pointing to rfwinters* you sure you want to do that? cause from what I've read so far that game is going to be great! I can't wait for it either. :D

Yea, it sucks that it was delayed, but only by 2 months instead of a year (remember the HL2 delay)...

And also, has VALVe ever let us down? Sure they miss dates quite freequently, but their games are top-notch masterpeices. I will gladly wait another 2 months for a polished, finished, incredible game.

Not to mention Portal too. VALVe, take your time, I will be here when you are ready.

Wish they would release Ep2 first, then finish Portal and TF2 and just open them up to the people that bought Ep2, but oh well. 2007 is going to be incredible.

Baredor said:
Wish they would release Ep2 first, then finish Portal and TF2 and just open them up to the people that bought Ep2, but oh well. 2007 is going to be incredible.
I doubt they are delaying the entire project because portal is not done. Of all 3 titles, im sure Episode 2 is the bulk of it and im sure Episode 2 got delayed, not portal. ;)

HighwayAssassins said:
I doubt they are delaying the entire project because portal is not done. Of all 3 titles, im sure Episode 2 is the bulk of it and im sure Episode 2 got delayed, not portal. ;)
Most people say Portal is in its last stages of development. The delay could be from Team Fortress 2, but Valve should've released Episode 2 and Portal, then offer TF2 as a free download for those who paid.

If we're going to be waiting this long for episodic content, it really isn't "episodic", is it?

B. W. said:
If we're going to be waiting this long for episodic content, it really isn't "episodic", is it?
compare it to the time between hl1 and hl2

Martyr said:
compare it to the time between hl1 and hl2
Still, that really doesn't justify it. Gabe is a big supported of episodic gameplay, but it works because other content has a schedule (TV shows are once a week with seasons, for example). Valve is just giving us chunks of a game whenever it's done, and it ultimately costs more.

B. W. said:
Still, that really doesn't justify it. Gabe is a big supported of episodic gameplay, but it works because other content has a schedule (TV shows are once a week with seasons, for example). Valve is just giving us chunks of a game whenever it's done, and it ultimately costs more.

I got Episode 1 for $8 in Circuit City a week after it's online debut, so that really depends on if you are willing to wait for a sale/deal.

B. W. said:
Most people say Portal is in its last stages of development. The delay could be from Team Fortress 2, but Valve should've released Episode 2 and Portal, then offer TF2 as a free download for those who paid.
hm...I would be willing to bet that if you took all of these "most people", not a single one is actually on the development team at valve. Which can only mean those are rumors. remember that.

I cant believe people complain that 8 months is too long between games. 2 titles of any game, episodic or not, in the same year is impressive. Shit its been 5 months since Sin Episode 1 was released, and im sure it will be longer than 8 mos to come out with Episode 2, but nobody is complaining.

If VALVe said it would take a week between episodic releases, people would complain. People just like to hate on VALVe, but give em a break. To get another HL adventure in 8 months in incredibly fast if you ask me.

This sucks. I just played through both HL2 and HL2 EP1 a few weeks ago and was looking forward to EP2. But it's a minor delay only.

HighwayAssassins said:
hm...I would be willing to bet that if you took all of these "most people", not a single one is actually on the development team at valve. Which can only mean those are rumors. remember that.

I cant believe people complain that 8 months is too long between games. 2 titles of any game, episodic or not, in the same year is impressive. Shit its been 5 months since Sin Episode 1 was released, and im sure it will be longer than 8 mos to come out with Episode 2, but nobody is complaining.

If VALVe said it would take a week between episodic releases, people would complain. People just like to hate on VALVe, but give em a break. To get another HL adventure in 8 months in incredibly fast if you ask me.
A fan got a tour of Valve's offices. "Not only did they tour the studio, but the pair also got to play the upcoming Source Engine title Portal -- 'all of the available levels to the last.' " - Joystiq

You just proved my point. The developement cycle is too long for gaming to be able to offer episode-based content. I loved Episode 1, but what Valve is doing now is going against their origional vision. We're only getting expansion packs that continue the same story.

As far as the games being cheaper, I bought the collectors edition of Half Life 2 for $35 (with CS:S and a T-shirt). Games get discounted over time.

aznpxdd said:
1 week after release isn't too bad now is it?
Sorry, I didn't read you're post clearly. But Fry's sells a lot of games cheaper than retail the first few days after release. Do you want to count those too?

Still, nice deal. :D

Back