HL2 Hard Copy Qs

Ducay

Limp Gawd
Hey, tried getting this question answered on a few other forums but have yet to get a straight answer.

If I am to buy the hard copy of HL2 (LIKE THIS) does it include CS:S like the bronze package? And is it possible to upgrade it to the silver edition so I can get DoD?

Thanks for the help

It includes CS: S, yes.

DoD: S, no.

Upgrade? Possibly...Don't know.

What he said, and as for upgrading, I'd say probably not. Worry not though, I'm sure you'll be able to get it separately for fairly cheap.

For $55, a 4 year wait, multiple delays, and an overly-annoying activation system, I want DoD, thanks. You can stop being a bunch of cheap assholes anytime you want.

/end rant.

or they can stop trying to rip us off by making us pay for a game they didn't even develope and was free for the original half life. There will be better FREE mods for hl2 than dod:s. It was good back in 2002, but its just boring now.

This is OT
but is the HL2 collecters edition worth getting or should I just get HL2 off steam.
im asking this because the collecters is only conna cost me $70 australian.

valkyre said:
For $55, a 4 year wait, multiple delays, and an overly-annoying activation system, I want DoD, thanks. You can stop being a bunch of cheap assholes anytime you want.

/end rant.
This just pisses me... when was the last time a company offered you FOR FREE version of the most popular online game ever.They could have very easily charged $20 a pop for CS:S and DoD:S each and eople would have bought. it Be happy for what you've got.

Yeah im really tied between this right now, on the one hand it is just massive coperations trying to squeeze the most amount of money from its consumers that have supported them since day one. Personally I think they should feel pretty damn lucky that we are still here buying/anticipating this game that they have so oftenly gave us the finger, and then a cold sholder. But hell if you are going to whine about how terrible it is, go play a different game, if you do not think they desirve your money go give it to someone else.

I think most people are angry because CS and DOD were orignally mods, mods that were FREE. :eek:

i think the collectors comes with the stuff that the silver comes with, except you get a tshirt too. i would bet you can upgrade to dod online

obyj34 said:
This just pisses me... when was the last time a company offered you FOR FREE version of the most popular online game ever.They could have very easily charged $20 a pop for CS:S and DoD:S each and eople would have bought. it Be happy for what you've got.
Be happy with what I deserve to get? Counter Strike Source is the only muliplayer they are shipping with HL2, so that's called a default, not a wonderful and gracious gift.

The fact that they are not even offering a hard copy of HL2 that includes DoD pisses me off. I don't have Steam and I can't download four entire games off the internet on a 38.8k connection. Valve is forgetting that some people just can't get broadband where they are.

Look at how many people bought Doom III and it includes virtually no multiplayer and the singleplayer could really use work.

valkyre said:
Be happy with what I deserve to get? Counter Strike Source is the only muliplayer they are shipping with HL2, so that's called a default, not a wonderful and gracious gift.

The fact that they are not even offering a hard copy of HL2 that includes DoD pisses me off. I don't have Steam and I can't download four entire games off the internet on a 38.8k connection. Valve is forgetting that some people just can't get broadband where they are.
There's a chance that DM might be included (but I really wouldn't count on it). CS is the multiplayer game, not DoD. How many other games offer you two different multiplayer games? None. Was DoD available when HL was first released? Nope. And that didn't prevent tons of people from buying it.

Also, they could have simply included DM as the MP for the game... and I can tell you that'd be nowhere near as popular as CS:S. You should be glad they made CS:S the MP and not DM.

The first DoD was only available for download for the longest time. It eventually did reach stores, but not for quite some time. I could see something similar happening with DoD:S.

Quite honestly, Valve probably doesn't care that some people are unable to get broadband, especially for DoD. The number of people who can't get broadband and actually would play DoD is miniscule compared to the number of people with broadband who will play it. DoD is free now and I see just about zero 56k'ers playing it. I hardly ever see any 56k'ers playing CS. Why would that change for DoD:S?

kick@ss said:
There's a chance that DM might be included (but I really wouldn't count on it). CS is the multiplayer game, not DoD. How many other games offer you two different multiplayer games? None. Was DoD available when HL was first released? Nope. And that didn't prevent tons of people from buying it.

Also, they could have simply included DM as the MP for the game... and I can tell you that'd be nowhere near as popular as CS:S. You should be glad they made CS:S the MP and not DM.

The first DoD was only available for download for the longest time. It eventually did reach stores, but not for quite some time. I could see something similar happening with DoD:S.

Quite honestly, Valve probably doesn't care that some people are unable to get broadband, especially for DoD. The number of people who can't get broadband and actually would play DoD is miniscule compared to the number of people with broadband who will play it. DoD is free now and I see just about zero 56k'ers playing it. I hardly ever see any 56k'ers playing CS. Why would that change for DoD:S?
I didn't say DoD was the default multiplayer, I said Counter Strike was. I was pointing out that CS wasn't some "extra" they were throwing it, it was the multiplayer. The original Half-Life offered basic multiplayer, like almost all FPS games do. The fact that HL2 has no basic multiplayer like HL did means CS becomes it's default.

I've never liked CS, and CS does not represent HL at all. It's not HL2 your playing, it's another game.

Dispite what you've seen, there are still tons of dialup players out there. Not everyone has, or can afford broadband.

valkyre said:
I didn't say DoD was the default multiplayer, I said Counter Strike was. I was pointing out that CS wasn't some "extra" they were throwing it, it was the multiplayer. The original Half-Life offered basic multiplayer, like almost all FPS games do. The fact that HL2 has no basic multiplayer like HL did means CS becomes it's default.

I've never liked CS, and CS does not represent HL at all. It's not HL2 your playing, it's another game.

Dispite what you've seen, there are still tons of dialup players out there. Not everyone has, or can afford broadband.
Of course there are some dial up players out there. There's simply just not enough of them that wiill actually play the game. DoD:S isn't going to be ready for a LONG time. If people buying the retail copy were able to buy it on release Valve would either have to make them download it through Steam or CDs would have to be sent to them.

FPS said:
This is OT
but is the HL2 collecters edition worth getting or should I just get HL2 off steam.
im asking this because the collecters is only conna cost me $70 australian.
Do you have only a limited amount of bandwidth each month or something like that? I know some Australian ISPs are kind of dumb, so it might be worth buying it at retail.

valkyre said:

activision has publishing rights for DOD, vivendi is publishing HL2, do you see the problem?

This just pisses me... when was the last time a company offered you FOR FREE version of the most popular online game ever.

Most popular online game...hmm. Perhaps it is the most long-lived popular online game, but not the most popular. There are games that have and will surpass the number of players that CS has online at any one time.

They didn't develop CS either, so don't act like they're doing charity work.

kick@ss said:
Do you have only a limited amount of bandwidth each month or something like that? I know some Australian ISPs are kind of dumb, so it might be worth buying it at retail.
Ive got unlimited 512/128 adsl

Back