HL2 Performance Problems Fixed

mbmadness

Gawd
I was getting repeating sounds and stuttering when playing HL2. I had to play at medium textures instead of high. Upgraded from 512MB to 1G and now the repeating sounds and stuttering is gone. I can now play using high textures without a problem.
My specs are P4 2.4, BFG 6800, 845 mobo, Herc Fort III, 1GB DDR333.

Unfortunately this doesn't work for everyone.. And more than likely the latest HL2 updates fixed your problems, more than the memory upgrade..

Unfortunately I just finished HL2, before they release the latest update last week.. guess I'll need to play it again to see if it did get fixed or not..

Barnaby said:
Unfortunately this doesn't work for everyone.. And more than likely the latest HL2 updates fixed your problems, more than the memory upgrade..

Unfortunately I just finished HL2, before they release the latest update last week.. guess I'll need to play it again to see if it did get fixed or not..

First of all. No where does it say that it will work for everyone or anyone for that matter. It worked for me and was simply my experience.

And no... It wasn't an update that fixed the problem. I have been playing HL2 all week and it had performance problems. I installed the memory and started the game. It worked. No new patch was downloaded from Steam between the time I installed the memory and ran the program.

Another thing I wanted to add is that it improved my load times. I'm sure many of the sounds and/or textures were getting cached into virtual memory before. Now, they are loading into the RAM.

it loaded fine, but i still got stuttering sound issues occasionaly. A64 3200+, 1GB DDR 400, 74gb raptor, 6800ultra. weak.

black you shouldnt get any issues at all, I have the same system with a 6800gt and everything is maxed at 1600x1200, its smooth as butter. You should maybe get the latest drivers? If you do already, something else is "wrong". It's great code.

HL2 is definately not the best coded game I've seen... No reason anyone should have the stuttering problems it has, and valve still hasn't gotten it right after 2 patches for it.. It's much better now, but it still stutters a bit.. haven't run into the sound looping problem yet, so that's a plus....

No problems with other source titles though.. go figure..

you mean, no problems with vampire bloodlines? thats the only other source title out. and many people have said that both vampire and hl2 suffer from the same issues.

^^^
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Painkiller and FarCry uses Source...if so then FarCry makes the best use of the Source engine than the other source engine games...Painkiller 2nd and HL2 3rd and Vampire 4th...Vampire didn't do so well graphic-wise...anyone know if the Source engine is flexible enuff to be used for an RPG game??? Or will it only be used with 1st person shooter games???

P.S.: mbmadness, use the edit button next time ;)

EDIT: Oops...I meant to be talking about the Havoc engine NOT the source one...my bad...

Metallica_Band said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Painkiller and FarCry uses Source...if so then FarCry makes the best use of the Source engine than the other source engine games...

FarCry uses its own CryTek engine, not the Source engine. Why would Valve let another company release a Source engine game almost a year ahead of theirs? The typical behavior for companies that license engines is to get their game out first, and then everyone else licensing the engine can release afterwards.

PainKiller isn't a Source engine game either.

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines is the only other Source game on the market.

Yeh, I still get tons of hitching with the latest patch with 1GB of ram and the specs in my sig. Source sucks.

It worked for me. Even on 512mb of ram lowering the texture detail fixed a lot of the pausing. Because I spent 400 dollars on a freaking video card though, that wasn't an option for me.

AHHHHH!!!! I screwed up...I can see other ppl have caught it too...it's the HAVOC engine that I was thinking of NOT the Source engine...Grrrr...too many friggin' engines around these days...can't keep up with them...

don't forget HL1: Source and CS: Source.. Both these games play fine, whereas HL2 has stuttering problems, which are well documented. Needless to say, Source isn't the best at handling your system resources.. If I can play the game @ 1280x960 with all details set to high, and 4xAA, and 8xAF, getting above 100FPS most of the time, then I really shouldn't have to try turning down texture resolution as a fix..

Like I said though, so far, the latest patch has helped out alot, and I've only noticed stuttering when the GMAN is finishing up his initial speech, and you're appearing on the train, and then right after loads sometimes.. Also, when putting on the suit in Kliener's lab, it will skip just a tad, when it starts the valve theme..

Back