HL2 Worth The Buy?

Standpoint said:
Order the gold edition off of steam. It costs more but you get all the expansions, aftermath, DOD:S, etc.

Just curious, but if you buy HL2 from a store, you can not play dod:s?

Moose777 said:
Then I remember VALVe sucks as does STEAM and the empty box goes back on the shelf.

Sorry, I want a disc in my hand when I get home after purchasing a game. And I don't care if it's 4 discs or 1 as long as I have something in my hand that I paid for.

I don't want to have to pay for an empty box or to DL something onto my HD then have to take some blank CD's that I paid for to make a hard copy of it for myself. It's like paying for it twice. And it's as close to taking a step backwards as one can get.

So now a company that allows and encourages you to make a backup of your game, sucks? I think that allowing you to download your purchased game files infinitely is a pretty good bonus.... hell you can NEVER lose your game. It's impossible.

Night Fox said:
So now a company that allows and encourages you to make a backup of your game, sucks? I think that allowing you to download your purchased game files infinitely is a pretty good bonus.... hell you can NEVER lose your game. It's impossible.

Not on dial up.

HL2 is a benchmark for the future of plots in games.
If you are going to make a game that has a plot, it has to measure up to HL2 or it wont be good enough.

The is a game you need to play at least twice.

Then go back and play it with cheats to have fun!
Nothing beats the scene when the combine soldier tells you to pick up the can and instead of doing as your told, you take out the Cross bow and peg him to the wall! :D

should this even be a question... i mean.. even if you cutout the story line.. the gameplay itself is worth the buy.. it's just all around fun to play

Great game, if you don't buy it your a commie! Now I have a question, since I obtained HL2 from the ATI giveaway, do you think steam has a "upgrade" program that allows bronze/ati owners the possibility to get portions from steam or to just upgrade to silver/gold? I would love to be able to do that for a small fee, or course!

-Rikus

Oh and I'm serious, your a communist if you don't buy that game!

Yes its definiatly worth it though make sure you play Far Cry and Riddick first if you havent. Then buy HL 2. But whatever you buy you will not get disappointed if you didn´t buy in to the HL 2 hype that is.

Night Fox said:
Oddly enough, you CAN make copies of all games. VALVe didn't invent anything there.

And I've heard of people losing their DLed version of HL2 before.

HL2 is the best game ever made. End of story.

Buy the silver package.

So do you get DOD and Aftermath with the Silver or only with the Gold ? Do you get DOD and Aftermath with either or is that a rumor ?

RikuS said:
Great game, if you don't buy it your a commie! Now I have a question, since I obtained HL2 from the ATI giveaway, do you think steam has a "upgrade" program that allows bronze/ati owners the possibility to get portions from steam or to just upgrade to silver/gold? I would love to be able to do that for a small fee, or course!

-Rikus

Oh and I'm serious, your a communist if you don't buy that game!

That's what I did ...upgraded my bronze coupon to the silver package ...
:)

water1 said:
So do you get DOD and Aftermath with the Silver or only with the Gold ? Do you get DOD and Aftermath with either or is that a rumor ?

Aftermath is not bundled with anything. You have that mistaken with the Lost Coast chapter of HL2. Aftermath will MOST likely be retail and/or steam purchased.

Majin said:
HL2 is a benchmark for the future of plots in games.
If you are going to make a game that has a plot, it has to measure up to HL2 or it wont be good enough.

The is a game you need to play at least twice.

Then go back and play it with cheats to have fun!
Nothing beats the scene when the combine soldier tells you to pick up the can and instead of doing as your told, you take out the Cross bow and peg him to the wall! :D

Actually, why should you play it more than once? Its going to play out the EXACT SAME way every time. Sorry, this game was overhyped and turned out to be just ok. Replay value is important to me and this game has zero.

Simply put; the story won't change. Its going to be the same every time you fire it up and play through. Valve made it look like there were other places to go with the wide open spaces but actually made it completely linear.

I wish I hadn't wasted my money on it. :mad:

TekSomniaK said:
Aftermath is not bundled with anything. You have that mistaken with the Lost Coast chapter of HL2. Aftermath will MOST likely be retail and/or steam purchased.
Thanks TekSomniaK, So what do have to buy to get Lost Coast (Retail, Bronze,Silver or Gold) ?

ThreeDee said:
That's what I did ...upgraded my bronze coupon to the silver package ...
:)
Okay, what did you do? Is there a process for that via steam? Or do I just buy
silver?

-Rikus

Back