Hmm... 7900GS?

StealthyFish

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey, I"ve been hearin about some stuff about the 7900GS. Anyone know anything about this card? I'm thinking of stepping up from my 7600GT KO (still in my 3 month period) and I'm quite disappointed in the overclocking performance. My friend's 6800GS can still compete and overclock and beat my 7600GT in everything. How's the performance and what is the estimated cost?

StealthyFish said:
Hey, I"ve been hearin about some stuff about the 7900GS. Anyone know anything about this card? I'm thinking of stepping up from my 7600GT KO (still in my 3 month period) and I'm quite disappointed in the overclocking performance. My friend's 6800GS can still compete and overclock and beat my 7600GT in everything. How's the performance and what is the estimated cost?

Does your friends PC have an AMD processor in it? I cant belive that a 6800GS beats a 7600 series card :confused:.

OEM's at w00t were going for 145. I think they're a little weaker than a 7800GTX, but faster than a 7800GT.

The 7900GS has 20 pipes and is outfitted with 256MB of GDDR3 memory. In other words, a faster 7800GT basically.

You should upgrade your ram... to at least 512 meg more... You might get beaten where it counts with GS because of MEMORY BANDWIDTH... 7600GT is a good card for benches but when you have lot of things on screen, memory bandwidth is what holding you back...

Those 7900GS is supposed to retail for $179-199...

The woot deal is over and it might come back it might not but at those prices you might as well pickup a 1800xt for $200...

Marvelous said:
You should upgrade your ram... to at least 512 meg more... You might get beaten where it counts with GS because of MEMORY BANDWIDTH... 7600GT is a good card for benches but when you have lot of things on screen, memory bandwidth is what holding you back...

Those 7900GS is supposed to retail for $179-199...

The woot deal is over and it might come back it might not but at those prices you might as well pickup a 1800xt for $200...

i'm thinking of a step up. I got my 7600GT KO for 165. I can probably subtract from that. I don't get what you're talking about when it comes to memory bandwidth....? I can't change the width of the memory bus on my 7600GT if that's what you're talking about..... And my friend's got a PentiumD 950. BUT, with an overclock, he can hit 7300 on 3dmark 05. CPU score can't alter a score by a full 700 points. Maybe by 100 or 200, but I doubt a 700 point difference is altered by a CPU. I scored 6500 tops with a max OC. There's a difference and it's not the CPU.

StealthyFish said:
i'm thinking of a step up. I got my 7600GT KO for 165. I can probably subtract from that. I don't get what you're talking about when it comes to memory bandwidth....? I can't change the width of the memory bus on my 7600GT if that's what you're talking about..... And my friend's got a PentiumD 950. BUT, with an overclock, he can hit 7300 on 3dmark 05. CPU score can't alter a score by a full 700 points. Maybe by 100 or 200, but I doubt a 700 point difference is altered by a CPU. I scored 6500 tops with a max OC. There's a difference and it's not the CPU.

You don't get your 7600GT is memory starved and that's why overclocked GS is catching up to yours?

Do you like your 7600GT as your gaming card? Does it work good and no hitching in games and speed when you play online?

I don't know how far your friend got his GS to overclock but it's highly unlikely he got his card to do 7300 unless he has exotic cooling and volt modded..

Either he has his settings down or doing some cheating to make his score higher which a lot of people do in 3dmark...

This is the highest 3dmark 05 with 6800GS I can find with Pentium D and from the look of it this guy didn't cheat on his score... He got his clocked to 556/1287... It's still under 7000.

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=1987531

Your used 7600GT is not worth $165 now... Maybe $130... Get another $70 and you can cream your friend in 3dmark..

Marvelous said:
You don't get your 7600GT is memory starved and that's why overclocked GS is catching up to yours?

Do you like your 7600GT as your gaming card? Does it work good and no hitching in games and speed when you play online?

I don't know how far your friend got his GS to overclock but it's highly unlikely he got his card to do 7300 unless he has exotic cooling and volt modded..

Either he has his settings down or doing some cheating to make his score higher which a lot of people do in 3dmark...

This is the highest 3dmark 05 with 6800GS I can find with Pentium D and from the look of it this guy didn't cheat on his score... He got his clocked to 556/1287... It's still under 7000.

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=1987531

Your used 7600GT is not worth $165 now... Maybe $130... Get another $70 and you can cream your friend in 3dmark..

he was artifacting at the end of the test though. and he doesn't use hacks or anything. doesn't know how.

I do understand that my 7600GT is memory starved due to the 128-bit memory bus, plus the core gets starved of voltage after higher clocks and artifacts due to shitty heatsinks. And I don't think you're familiar with the step-up program evga has. I can trade my card in for the exact value i bought it for.

we both ran the same settings. 1024x768 with no aa, no af, low quality

StealthyFish said:
he was artifacting at the end of the test though. and he doesn't use hacks or anything. doesn't know how.

I do understand that my 7600GT is memory starved due to the 128-bit memory bus, plus the core gets starved of voltage after higher clocks and artifacts due to shitty heatsinks. And I don't think you're familiar with the step-up program evga has. I can trade my card in for the exact value i bought it for.

we both ran the same settings. 1024x768 with no aa, no af, low quality

You really don't need to overclock core for your 7600GT and it's waste of fillrate for something it's barely going to be used and make your system heat up and or be unstable for... If you play your games in 32 bit color than you need memory bandwidth on the 7600GT not fill rate...

Step up program is a joke for newbs and a like... 7900GS isn't even out yet until a little while... And depending on EVGA retail price... You might be paying more for your upgrade than online stores. By that time, 256meg 1900xt will hit online stores for little over $200 which would demolish a 7900GT and come close to 7900GTX...

7900GS is really a 7800GT in new clothing...

http://www.aquamoontrading.com/EB/7900gs/pix/bench800.jpg]

If I were you I wouldn't even bother with 7900GS unless you get it for $25 more something like that...

I'm in the same boat as you... I have 850xt but I don't really game that much nor do I feel the need to beat my friend in 3dmark... This card is already fast enough clocked 600/620... I was going to jump to 1800xt but I'm not too sure now... I want the 1900xt as it's more of a upgrade with more shaders...

I got some more system memory as this will help me more in games...

Marvelous said:
You really don't need to overclock core for your 7600GT and it's waste of fillrate for something it's barely going to be used and make your system heat up and or be unstable for... If you play your games in 32 bit color than you need memory bandwidth on the 7600GT not fill rate...

Step up program is a joke for newbs and a like... 7900GS isn't even out yet until a little while... And depending on EVGA retail price... You might be paying more for your upgrade than online stores. By that time, 256meg 1900xt will hit online stores for little over $200 which would demolish a 7900GT and come close to 7900GTX...

7900GS is really a 7800GT in new clothing...

http://www.aquamoontrading.com/EB/7900gs/pix/bench800.jpg]

If I were you I wouldn't even bother with 7900GS unless you get it for $25 more something like that...

I'm in the same boat as you... I have 850xt but I don't really game that much nor do I feel the need to beat my friend in 3dmark... This card is already fast enough clocked 600/620... I was going to jump to 1800xt but I'm not too sure now... I want the 1900xt as it's more of a upgrade with more shaders...

I got some more system memory as this will help me more in games...

Wait, are you telling me not to overclock becuase it's a waste. I game a little, but it's nice just to have a more future-proof card that has a higher overclocking ceiling. I can't voltmod through a bios flash on the 7600GT either, unlike the 6800GS and 7800+ series. 6800GS is able to score 8000 on 3dmark 05 after a voltmod. That's a huge bang for the buck. 7600GT with voltmods i've seen hit around 7500. Not as great as I'd like it to be.

System RAM isn't my priority. 1Gb interlaced is fine. 2Gb would be overkill, and why would I go out and buy 1 stick of 512 so I can get rid of my dual channel?

StealthyFish said:
Wait, are you telling me not to overclock becuase it's a waste. I game a little, but it's nice just to have a more future-proof card that has a higher overclocking ceiling. I can't voltmod through a bios flash on the 7600GT either, unlike the 6800GS and 7800+ series. 6800GS is able to score 8000 on 3dmark 05 after a voltmod. That's a huge bang for the buck. 7600GT with voltmods i've seen hit around 7500. Not as great as I'd like it to be.

System RAM isn't my priority. 1Gb interlaced is fine. 2Gb would be overkill, and why would I go out and buy 1 stick of 512 so I can get rid of my dual channel?

It's waste to just pump more fill rate on a card like 7600GT... Since it already has enough fill rate to boot... You want to overclock the memory more than anything else... While the situation changes for 6800GS... You want to overclock the core more for that card...

Volt mod is easy if you have some soldering skills... There's not much to it than adding couple of resistors...

Not all 6800GS can score 8000 on 3dmark05 even with a volt mod... Great bang for buck but it cost $180... That's not great bang for buck when you can get 1800xt for $200 and cream the 6800GS by almost 2 folds...

System memory should always be priority... If your games don't have enough ram you swap the hard drive making the frame rates drop to unplayable levels...

Battlefield 2 and FEAR come in mind... I can barely play with 1 gig on these games...

Dual Channel barely does anything with Athlon or Conroe... With Pentium 4 architecture you get like 1 fps better maybe or not even? When Pentium 4 needed rdram and the first DDR but now we have DDR2... Have enough to keep the pentium 4 architecture satisfied... I suggested you get at least 512meg more but I didn't tell you... Games today need more than 1 gig... 1.5 gig will do but 2 gig is not overkill...

Marvelous said:
It's waste to just pump more fill rate on a card like 7600GT... Since it already has enough fill rate to boot... You want to overclock the memory more than anything else... While the situation changes for 6800GS... You want to overclock the core more for that card...

Volt mod is easy if you have some soldering skills... There's not much to it than adding couple of resistors...

Not all 6800GS can score 8000 on 3dmark05 even with a volt mod... Great bang for buck but it cost $180... That's not great bang for buck when you can get 1800xt for $200 and cream the 6800GS by almost 2 folds...

System memory should always be priority... If your games don't have enough ram you swap the hard drive making the frame rates drop to unplayable levels...

Battlefield 2 and FEAR come in mind... I can barely play with 1 gig on these games...

Dual Channel barely does anything with Athlon or Conroe... With Pentium 4 architecture you get like 1 fps better maybe or not even? When Pentium 4 needed rdram and the first DDR but now we have DDR2... Have enough to keep the pentium 4 architecture satisfied... I suggested you get at least 512meg more but I didn't tell you... Games today need more than 1 gig... 1.5 gig will do but 2 gig is not overkill...

lmfao. I don't think you've ever used 512mb non-interlaced RAM and tried to game. You should feel a huge difference depending on the application. There's a reason we have interlacing for RAM. Maybe you own an athlon though, so w/e.

btw, yeah, system RAM is a necessity, but 1GB is fine for me, I'm looking more for graphics power. I don't receive RAM lag at the settings I run at.

Oh, I remember you now. You were the guy who kept refusing to accept the fact that the 6800GS could hit past 7000 on 3dmark 05. Lmao, all the examples we gave you and you still refused to believe it. The 6800GS CAN hit 8k with sufficient cooling (the stock cooling solution is actually pretty good) and is extremely easy to voltmod, dealing with nibitor and your bios file, changing the voltage of your GPU, and flashing your graphics card, unlike the 7600GT, which requires you to find the resisters on the back of your board and shade them in with a graphite pencil then testing the resistance.

I gotta admit I was taken aback by the 8K claim from a modded 6800GS when I was under the impression that 8K was a stretch for the 7800GS. Then I cruised over to the Orb :eek: of course those scores aren't the best testimony's for regular joe OCer

StealthyFish said:
lmfao. I don't think you've ever used 512mb non-interlaced RAM and tried to game. You should feel a huge difference depending on the application. There's a reason we have interlacing for RAM. Maybe you own an athlon though, so w/e.

btw, yeah, system RAM is a necessity, but 1GB is fine for me, I'm looking more for graphics power. I don't receive RAM lag at the settings I run at.

Oh, I remember you now. You were the guy who kept refusing to accept the fact that the 6800GS could hit past 7000 on 3dmark 05. Lmao, all the examples we gave you and you still refused to believe it. The 6800GS CAN hit 8k with sufficient cooling (the stock cooling solution is actually pretty good) and is extremely easy to voltmod, dealing with nibitor and your bios file, changing the voltage of your GPU, and flashing your graphics card, unlike the 7600GT, which requires you to find the resisters on the back of your board and shade them in with a graphite pencil then testing the resistance.

LOL... NON INTERLACED RAM...

Yeah that's it... :rolleyes: There's no such thing as non interlaced ram dude... You mean ECC... that doesn't do $hit for games except check for errors...

Check my sig... I bet you can't beat my score.. :rolleyes:

You must play 2 year old games with 1 gig of ram... Half Life? Doom engine? though so...

What examples did you give me? You were trying to tell me stock 6800gs beats a radeon 850xt... HAHA

Anyways 850xt does over 13000

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=1393613 :rolleyes:

You don't have to do anything with graphics pencil when you have soldering iron and some solder... Any dumbass can do it... Even me... :D

GonzoP said:
I gotta admit I was taken aback by the 8K claim from a modded 6800GS when I was under the impression that 8K was a stretch for the 7800GS. Then I cruised over to the Orb :eek: of course those scores aren't the best testimony's for regular joe OCer

Of course it isn't regular joe OCer ... A regualar joe doesn't do volt mods... And even if they did... You gonna waste $200+ on a peltifier or some nitrous on $180 card so they can 8000 on 3dmark? :confused:

Most people have their GS 525/1200... That's a fact... Still a 12 pipe card... which can't compete with 16 pipe cards with 256 bit memory interface...

http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics.html?modelx=33&model1=529&model2=565&chart=213

Look at that Nvidia cards own doom engined games and the 7600GT can't beat a 2 year old radeon 850xt...

Marvelous said:
Most people have their GS 525/1200... That's a fact... Still a 12 pipe card... which can't compete with 16 pipe cards with 256 bit memory interface...

Look at that Nvidia cards own doom engined games and the 7600GT can't beat a 2 year old radeon 850xt...
Unless they have the 6800gs agp and unlocking it to 16/6

Yeah I've never argued against the x850xt being a hall of fame card

GonzoP said:
Unless they have the 6800gs agp and unlocking it to 16/6

Yeah I've never argued against the x850xt being a hall of fame card

The older 6800GS were crippled with low clock rate and slower memory...

Even if you unlocked the pipes you wouldn't be able clock too high like the recent 6800GS...

Marvelous said:
The older 6800GS were crippled with low clock rate and slower memory...

Even if you unlocked the pipes you wouldn't be able clock too high like the recent 6800GS...

you mean older meaning AGP. PCIe version was clocked higher.

wow, that's quite a voltmod for the X850XT btw, impressive. I don't think you get it though. There's higher risk of hardmodding than flashing with a modified hex value to change the voltage of the card. the 6800GS doesn't have to be hardmodded to volt mod, but the 7600GT and the whole X800 and X850 line does. btw, that graphite thing is a pencil mod, a smaller mod, but a hardmod nonetheless.

StealthyFish said:
you mean older meaning AGP. PCIe version was clocked higher.

wow, that's quite a voltmod for the X850XT btw, impressive. I don't think you get it though. There's higher risk of hardmodding than flashing with a modified hex value to change the voltage of the card. the 6800GS doesn't have to be hardmodded to volt mod, but the 7600GT and the whole X800 and X850 line does. btw, that graphite thing is a pencil mod, a smaller mod, but a hardmod nonetheless.

I don't think you get it...

There's no risk hardmoddding if you know how to solder... it's much as risk as if I tried to edit the hex on bios... :rolleyes:

I've hard modded many cards never messed it up once... and even with voltmods you don't really get that much more MHZ out of it unless you have exotic cooling...

Back