patriot g series 1600mhz 9-9-9-24
5970 stock speed. catalyst 10.1
win 7 64 bit

3x dell p2310h (5760x1080)

2x AA
no vysnc
all settings at HIGH
dirt 2 benchmark: avg fps 29. min fps 22. :confused:

Yep. I'm pretty sure I average way higher than that, and I run 5760x1200 with a 5870.

ive heard of 10.1 problems but as for the CF hotfix, would that still apply to me? im using a single 5970

i just got my eyefinity setup yesterday and i installed the 10.1 hotfix drivers on a clean install of windows 7 64bit. seems dirt 2 display is all screwed and doesnt work. (5760x1200 stays blank) so far hte only game ive gotten to run properly is nfs shift, which ran with no problems at all. i know the ati drivers are plagued with problems. so what id like to know is which is the driver that i should be using that would cause me the least problems and would enable me to play dirt 2 and nfs shift with proper resolutions of 5760x1200. i was going to try rolling back to 9.12, but im not sure if i should use the 9.12 hf, or just the 9.12. if i should roll back even farther which one should i use? im hoping others out there have found a driver that works. btw im using a single 5870 and 3 Dell U2410. thanks.

i just got my eyefinity setup yesterday and i installed the 10.1 hotfix drivers on a clean install of windows 7 64bit. seems dirt 2 display is all screwed and doesnt work. (5760x1200 stays blank) so far hte only game ive gotten to run properly is nfs shift, which ran with no problems at all. i know the ati drivers are plagued with problems. so what id like to know is which is the driver that i should be using that would cause me the least problems and would enable me to play dirt 2 and nfs shift with proper resolutions of 5760x1200. i was going to try rolling back to 9.12, but im not sure if i should use the 9.12 hf, or just the 9.12. if i should roll back even farther which one should i use? im hoping others out there have found a driver that works. btw im using a single 5870 and 3 Dell U2410. thanks.

this driver remind me of nVidia's 186 drivers, that pretty much screw everything up.

both of them have chain of issue they created with their newer driver..

you should roll back to 9.12HF...

ive heard of 10.1 problems but as for the CF hotfix, would that still apply to me? im using a single 5970

just use 9.12 HF, it fixes that issue...

and 5970 is internal CF, so yes.. use it..

The killer setting that drops Dirt2's framerates dramatically is 'Post Processing' on High. That kicks in the HDAA, (I'm not knowledgeable about the technology but common sense suggests this would be particularly taxing at Eyefinity resolutions as it involves full resolution, rather than chopping it up into manageable parts).

Even with 9.12HF this is the turning point at 5760x1080 that drops your fps suddenly. I found that medium settings were realistic on a 5970. I've also heard people saying that Eyefinity Crossfire and Dirt2 only has both GPU's operating around 50% load so perhaps there is a lot of headroom for performance improvements in the drivers.

There is also a stuttering problem with Dirt2, Eyefinity and Crossfire which makes the game unplayable with 9.12HF for me. You over-steer when you get a big stutter mid game.

With 10.2 hopefully we will have a 4800x900 resolution option, plus Crossfire in Eyefinity, plus improved performance, with no stuttering and working vsync, in Dirt2.

The killer setting that drops Dirt2's framerates dramatically is 'Post Processing' on High. That kicks in the HDAA, (I'm not knowledgeable about the technology but common sense suggests this would be particularly taxing at Eyefinity resolutions as it involves full resolution, rather than chopping it up into manageable parts).

Even with 9.12HF this is the turning point at 5760x1080 that drops your fps suddenly. I found that medium settings were realistic on a 5970. I've also heard people saying that Eyefinity Crossfire and Dirt2 only has both GPU's operating around 50% load so perhaps there is a lot of headroom for performance improvements in the drivers.

There is also a stuttering problem with Dirt2, Eyefinity and Crossfire which makes the game unplayable with 9.12HF for me. You over-steer when you get a big stutter mid game.

With 10.2 hopefully we will have a 4800x900 resolution option, plus Crossfire in Eyefinity, plus improved performance, with no stuttering and working vsync, in Dirt2.

stutter problem? I have a 5970 and no stutter for me so far, with 9.12 HF..

and yes, I did max out everything. but with 4xMSAA....

shansoft, what kind of frames are you getting? we have fairly similar systems except that my cpu is at 3.8 ghz (shouldn't make that big of a difference).

and for the memo, a single 5970 still involves crossfire because its GPU?

shansoft, what kind of frames are you getting? we have fairly similar systems except that my cpu is at 3.8 ghz (shouldn't make that big of a difference).

and for the memo, a single 5970 still involves crossfire because its GPU?

I just install 10.1 HF and tested ( with lots of application in background, too lazy to shuts them off )

running the benchmark mode in game

132 AVG fps, 101 MIN fps.

both GPU running 85-95 most of the time.

and yes, 5970 is crossfire.... internally..

I am getting a steady 60FPS on my rig with the 9.12...I have since installed the 10.1 drivers but have not played Dirt 2.....

Never had a problem with the game since day one....smooth as butter on 1920x1200 maxed out with 16AF and I think 4AA or whatever the max in game was. Will check it and post back

im using 2x AA but i still think my numbers are low regardless. i will also clarify, or reiterate that im using a 5760 x 1080 resolution (maybe that wasn't obvious enough).

all settings high, no vysnc, post processing medium. i think this is definitley low since the hardocp eyefinity performance test showed dirt 2 at ULTRA settings, 2xaa with higher numbers:

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/01/05/amds_ati_radeon_eyefinity_performance_review/3

im using 2x AA but i still think my numbers are low regardless. i will also clarify, or reiterate that im using a 5760 x 1080 resolution (maybe that wasn't obvious enough).

all settings high, no vysnc, post processing medium. i think this is definitley low since the hardocp eyefinity performance test showed dirt 2 at ULTRA settings, 2xaa with higher numbers:

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/01/05/amds_ati_radeon_eyefinity_performance_review/3

You can either.. wait for 10.2 and hope Eyefinity and Crossfire has arrived in the mainstream drivers, or roll back to the 9.12 hotfix driver where it was implemented. Your framerate will double. Dirt2 scales really well with multiple GPU's.

Right now I'm using single screen (ewww) and waiting. It's only really Dirt2 and Bad Company2 that are suffering from no crossfire at the moment.

EDIT: If you look at the [H] article then you're running about the same as the 5850, which makes sense.

you have 3 fps higher than hardocp means im still low and I guess the problem is traced back to the lack of CF support in the drivers im currently using (10.1) perhaps I will wait until 10.2 :mad:

Back