hmm.. toasty conroe

tisb0b

[H] Pirate
Darn overclocking addiction it started out just wanting a small 2.4ghz OC well that never happened so far these are the overclocks I've gone through: 2.13 > 2.66 > 2.72 > 2.88 > 3.15ghz.
My latest overclock is 3.15ghz:
[email protected] (450x7) 1.35v
2gb PQI DDR667@900mhz 5-5-5-12 1:1 ratio 2.1v
(g)MCH +0.2V

I have a feeling it should be stable as 1.35v is plenty for it. I don't think I will be going any further even though that's what I said the other times to myself. But this time I will definitely need an aftermarket heatsink to go any further as I've just about reached the limits of the stock intel cooler. Anyways idle is 54*C/53*C which is seeming quite cool.

wah7pc0.jpg

Couple of questions

1. I just opened up the computer and touched the naked ram sticks and they were feeling quite hot is this normal? and can it damage the ram?
2. I take it, it wouldn't be a bad idea to chuck another 80mm fan in the side of my case as an intake to get some more airflow over the ram and cool stuff down? I currently have just an 80mm intake at the front and an 80mm out-take at the back.

1. Wouldn't suggest using those speeds. You CAN damage it overclocking that much and at those temperatures, I wouldn't imagine that it is safe.

2. Yeah, you should look into buying into better cooling sollutions. You might even want a new case and heatsink. I have 1x120mm intake, 1x120mm out, and 2x90mm out. My computer sounds like a car turning on, but I rarely see system/cpu temperatures above 45C

I think those temps are "normal" for a conroe and I would start to worry at about the 65* temp mark. I think 80* is when it starts to burn the chip up. If you wanted, you could up that multiplier and lower the timings, say 8x400 and stay right at 3.2ghz. That should cool your ram a bit.

I thought I read in another thread that the conroe starts to "throttle down" at 85C. So I don't think it would start to cook at 80C.

Although I am new to the conroe myself, Just bought a E6300 for OC'ing, But I have done alot of research. I remember reading somewhere that they can run a bit hot. Someone had posted that they were in the 65C area & they were told that it wasn't that bad & not to really worry until it hit 78C - 80C.

Myself, I would like to see it no higher than 60C. But I have read that alot of them run hotter than that when OC'ed.

Once again I could be wrong here. Does anyone know what the avg temp is at different Over clock speeds?

There is a wealth of info in this thread:
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1075792

But it doesn't include what temps were reached at their overclocked speed.

62.5 is Intel's TDP specification
70 is a "I need a better HSF zone, my chip is slowly going to die"
80 is a "Why didn't I get a better HSF when I was at 70" zone
85 is thermal throtteling and HALT execution.

After seeing this I'm definitely going to go with some ghetto cooling for my ram as it should do the trick :)

Back