Hole in my radiator

nubbin77

Limp Gawd
I just spent almost all day putting together my new rig. Then I put the water in and my radiator has a hole in it. AHHHH! :mad:

The only problem is I really don't know if I did it or not. Question the fins in the radiator are super super thin, (the side to side ones). I didn't think that water ran through them they are almost tin foil thin.. does water pass through those? or do the side to side fins only suck the heat off the water that goes through the up and down tubes?

This is the radiator I got.

http://www.crazypc.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=9314BL

Anybody intimately familiar with this thing? I stuck some zip tie type things through the fins and bent a couple (like I said they are like tinfoil). But it doesn't seem like the hole is near my bent fins... And it is a ton of water that leaks.. like its a big hole or crack. I have no way of proving I didn't do it, but I am skeptical that a couple of the bent fins would cause this.

Damn I just so bummed, I did such a nice job, cutting holes in my new case ran the wires and everything nicely, and the dam thing is leaking like a faucet. Thanksgiviing weekend now so I'll have to wait until mid next week before I can get a new radiator and play with my new system.

Anybody know any computer stores that sell watercooling parts (radiators in particular) in NJ?

Owned. When I decided to drill holes into my radiator fins to get screws threw them, I was so sure that I had ruptured the main water fins. Turns out I didn't.

No, those horizontal fins do not have water running through them. However, when you cut them or rip them off, be gentle, as they may posess the ability to rip off a peice of the vertical rad fins (which do have water running through them).

ok, so there is a chance that if I try to rma this thing, they will honor it? I mean its obvious that I bent the horizontal fins, I don't know if they would hold that against me and say that I damaged the product...

It actually looks like the hole is in the upper left hand corner where the fan screw should go. hmmm. Could I get something to seal the hole?

swiftech has had a bunch of faulty rads go out the door recently, although this is the first leaker that i have heard about.

try your best to get a replacement out of the store that you purchased from. try to deal with them rather than swiftech directly.

it IS pretty easy to put a hole in the rad's tubes, however i've only ever done it with the point of a screwdriver, not just bending a few fins. i've also heard of people having their screw thread far enough into the shroud that it punched into a tube that just happened to line up perfectly.........

it's only the flat tubes running the long axis of the rad that hold water. the fine fins are just soldered on for added surface area.

i ended up getting the hole in my rad fixed at a local rad shop. it was pretty cheap. if both swiftech and the retailer play hardball, then you might or might not be able to get yours fixed as well.

DO try and get a warrenty claim on this though......if swiftech is going to send out crap, consumers need to make them pay for the bad hardware, as an incentive for them to fix their process sooner rather than later.

I was using a car rad in my setup and when I added a bracket and bent a few fins to fit its bolts one of the bent fins tore at the tube causing a very slow leak. I had drilled the rad earlier to mount the shroud without any problems. Its hard to tell whats goning to cause a leak when u mess with these things.

In your case Id RMA it. Swiftech has a bad rep of sending out shoddy items every so often.

Back