Holy smokin' proteins batman..new members galore.

Killer[MoB]

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - March 2008
New Members 03-21 - 03-28 (215)

WOW!

That's a lot of new folders for a week. :cool:

I think its all the PS3 new members that people have been activly recruiting.... doesnt hurt that lots of people want to fold for #1 :)

I kind of keep an eye on active cpus at stanford. Last Thursday there was 8570 (I wrote it down since I noticed the numbers going up daily). Now there are 8759 active cpus :D

Woops, I accidentally double posted with my new forum badge and no actual post...LOL. Fixed in the proceeding one.

I have a few PCs that sit around doing things like being a file/print server and being a proxy server. I saw that PS3's were folding and kicking butt, so I decided to add my PCs to the mix as a balance ;). I just started a day and a half ago, so give me time! :p

and some returners, I got an old pc (celeron 700 I'm OC'ing to 1050) donated to me on the promise I used it for folding, and I reinstalled the gpu folder on my gaming rig (X1900XTX, unfortunately only one), it was kicking some ass last time I looked at the output. I tried the SMP client on one of my dual pIII servers, but it never d/l'd a work unit. I'll have 5 or 6 boxen back online in a month or so., mostly crappers, PIII's or athlon/durons Sorry to be offline for so long, real life took a chunk out of my butt and it's just now starting to grow back. Welcome to all the new PS/3 folders!

and some returners, I got an old pc (celeron 700 I'm OC'ing to 1050) donated to me on the promise I used it for folding, and I reinstalled the gpu folder on my gaming rig (X1900XTX, unfortunately only one), it was kicking some ass last time I looked at the output. I tried the SMP client on one of my dual pIII servers, but it never d/l'd a work unit. I'll have 5 or 6 boxen back online in a month or so., mostly crappers, PIII's or athlon/durons Sorry to be offline for so long, real life took a chunk out of my butt and it's just now starting to grow back. Welcome to all the new PS/3 folders!

Pretty sure anything slower than a pentium D won't make the windows SMP deadlines anyway. You're better off putting 2 consoles on that dual P3. Welcome back

A Pentium D 2.8 Dell stock Optiplex w/ 512MB RAM with XP Pro running the beta Windows SMP client finished a WU with 49% of the time remaining to deadline. Now this was doing NOTHING but folding and the only thing installed on it was OFfice 2003 and Norton Corp edition antivirus (which does suck a little front end crappy ass Norton). I am going to try one next week in a production enviornment and see how it handles that.

I switched a dual (P4) Xeon 2.8 system over to the smp client a couple days ago, it got 1 unit completed on time, but the next one got dropped at 50% for passing the deadline. I am back to the normal client as of this morning. It is pretty amazing how much faster C2D and Athlon 64 are over the P4s.

I switched a dual (P4) Xeon 2.8 system over to the smp client a couple days ago, it got 1 unit completed on time, but the next one got dropped at 50% for passing the deadline. I am back to the normal client as of this morning. It is pretty amazing how much faster C2D and Athlon 64 are over the P4s.

I had the same problem with my dual 2.8 prestonia, some work units finished with plenty of time, others were taking an hour and a half a frame. It's back to running 4 normal clients and pumping out 300-400 points a day.

Pretty sure anything slower than a pentium D won't make the windows SMP deadlines anyway. You're better off putting 2 consoles on that dual P3. Welcome back

Thanks! I've uninstalled that smp client already, I'll slap 2 instances of the console client on it tonight when I get home.

I had the same problem with my dual 2.8 prestonia, some work units finished with plenty of time, others were taking an hour and a half a frame. It's back to running 4 normal clients and pumping out 300-400 points a day.

So for better PPD, should I enable HT and run 4 clients? I am running HT off with 2 clients now. This is also a Prestonia system.

I could put a 2.93 Ghz laptop with 2GB's of RAM and RAID (of all things in a laptop!) out there to fold, but I ran out of ports on my switch :(. I can't find the WiFi card I used to use with it. The laptop has RAID and a 256 MB X800, but no WiFi. Screwed priorities? :).

EDIT: Well duh. I have the wireless router in the other room and it has two ports left that aren't in use. Here comes another folder.

We try to pimp new Folding stuff on the front page every chance we get to rake in the new members.

It's nice to be part of the number #1 team and I make sure I let people know :D

We try to pimp new Folding stuff on the front page every chance we get to rake in the new members.

We always appreciate seeing our team mentioned on the front of the [H]!! Hopefully the new smp, ps3, and lesser known crossfire capable gpu client will encourage more people to let their boxes do some good when they're just sitting there doing nothing.

I'm getting a new boxen ready to go. I'm trying to decide between SMP (have the choice of an Opteron 170 and X2 4800+) or GPU (I have an X1900XTX doing nothing). Either way, there will be more points coming from me.

Hey Steve, any chance of doing some sort of arty on the many different ways to fold?

Since we have the PS3, SMP, GPU and straight clients...it might be nice to have something on the front page that does a comparo of all of them and all that. There may be some people that don't realize how many options are available to them.

I am sure there are some guys here who'd be willing to pitch in. :)

Another Holy Smokin' Protein Batman :

If you go to the team listing and click on the Future Production link and select 365 days for fun. You will see that many PS3 teams will jump over 200-1700 ranks :eek:

So for better PPD, should I enable HT and run 4 clients? I am running HT off with 2 clients now. This is also a Prestonia system.

You should enable HT and run 2 clients. If you are after points ONLY (and don't care about the science) you can run 4 instances then you will get about a 15-20% bump in PPD if you run 4 instances but all the work will actually be turned in slower which Stanford doesn't like

You should enable HT and run 2 clients. If you are after points ONLY (and don't care about the science) you can run 4 instances then you will get about a 15-20% bump in PPD if you run 4 instances but all the work will actually be turned in slower which Stanford doesn't like

I tried running with HT enabled, and 2 clients, and the system felt much less responsive. Switched back to HT off with 2 clients and everything is OK again. I am going to leave it off unless someone has ideas on why this is happening.

I tried running with HT enabled, and 2 clients, and the system felt much less responsive. Switched back to HT off with 2 clients and everything is OK again. I am going to leave it off unless someone has ideas on why this is happening.

Because HT isn't a real core? :)

Unfortunately, I found this out when one of mine failed to complete. No more HT for me ;) It's better to actually get the WU done on time.

An article might be a good idea. I tried folding when it first started. I had the screen saver version, and it didn't work out very well for me, so I just assumed folding wasn't for me. Once I found out that there was a console version (a fact I discovered after all of the PS3 were making noise) it became an easy thing to decide to do! Console FTW, and it runs under Linux! Now if I could just get my tag to work without deleting everything I had in my post when I hit the button....

Back