Home Networking question

Zyme

Limp Gawd
I've setup one computer as a server for music and pictures on my home network. It's connected through a 802.11g wireless card. It's running Windows 7 home premium. It also hosts a Squeezebox music server application that broadcasts to a Squeezebox music player in another room.

In order to speed up the connection between my desktops (also running Win7 Home Premium, hardwired into the router, and where I work up pictures in Photoshop) to this server computer, I plan to run an ethernet cable from the wireless router to the server--the hardwire should be faster than the wireless.

The question is, can I ALSO leave the server on the wireless connection? I need it to broadcast to the music player. In otherwords, I want to be able to work on pictures over a wire, and broadcast music wirelessly.

Thanks for the help and advice!
-Z

Each NIC will have it's own IP address, just address the IP of the interface you want to use
ex.

192.168.1.101 will be wireless
192.168.1.102 will be wired

Each NIC will have it's own IP address, just address the IP of the interface you want to use
ex.

192.168.1.101 will be wireless
192.168.1.102 will be wired

Im curious about this because what if you connect to the server by its DNS name. correct me if im wrong on the dns part. but which interface will it go to, which takes precedence?

If your server has a wireless NIC, your router is wireless and your slingbox player has a wireless NIC then the answer to your question is that you don't need the wireless NIC in the server. Any connections to the server will come over the wire from the router then go wirelessly to any clients that are wireless and stay on the wire for those that aren't. Leaving both in will overly complicate your setup and probably cause issues.

*This is with the caveat that all wireless clients are connected to the router and you don't have ad-hoc networks setup

So it should be:

Wireless clients <---> Wireless Router <-------> Wired Clients & Server, etc

Last edited:
add an entry to your lmhost on your pc
192.168.1.XXX SERVER

so that whenver you enter "Server" it reroutes to the IP. LM Host file is pretty much like DNS entries, but only your local machine.

If your server has a wireless NIC, your router is wireless and your slingbox player has a wireless NIC then the answer to your question is that you don't need the wireless NIC in the server. Any connections to the server will come over the wire from the router then go wirelessly to any clients that are wireless and stay on the wire for those that aren't. Leaving both in will overly complicate your setup and probably cause issues.

*This is with the caveat that all wireless clients are connected to the router and you don't have ad-hoc networks setup

So it should be:

Wireless clients <---> Wireless Router <-------> Wired Clients & Server, etc

Hmm. I didn't think about this. In the wireless squeezebox player, I just enter the i.p. of the server--it doesn't care how it gets there--it looks for the server application running on the system with that i.p. Thanks!
M

Hmm. I didn't think about this. In the wireless squeezebox player, I just enter the i.p. of the server--it doesn't care how it gets there--it looks for the server application running on the system with that i.p. Thanks!
M

this is correct

Back