Homebrewing kit @ Groupon $64

spydermonkey

2[H]4U
Ripped from slickdeals. Credit goes to mmintz over there.

I know this isn't tech related, but I know there's plenty of beer geeks out there.

Original slickdeals thread for reference:
http://slickdeals.net/f/4057234-Homebrew-beer-kit-for-125-tax?token=AAEDAwAAAAAFOz3okg

Groupon has the homebrew starter kit (a $138 value) for $64:

Groupon Link:
http://www.groupon.com/akron-canton...edium=afl&utm_campaign=4485850&utm_source=rvs

Product Page:
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/groupon-homebrewing.html

Youtube Video of Included Materials:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JCSUQ5cqNM

Also, mentioned in the slickdeals thread is a turkey fryer available from Lowes that includes fryer, thermometer, and propane stand for $49:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_356374-5889...gs_upl=&langId=-1&storeId=10151&rpp=24&gs_sm=

The only problem is that the kettle is made of aluminum, which is typically thin, does not hold heat well, and runs the risk of burning the malt. As long as you keep an eye on the temperature and keep the liquid stirring, especially while adding ingredients, you should be able to get by with it.

Happy brewing!

Very cool! Thanks for posting up. Shooting this to my friend now so he can make me some more delicious brew :D

hells yea, this is a great hobby if anyone is on the fence. currently have a basement full of fermentors, and just finished brewing a hefeweizen. if it were me, id skip the turkey fryer, pick up a ten or 15 gallon stainless pot, and an affordable burner. will cost a bit more now, but will save you from buying a bigger one in the future.

hells yea, this is a great hobby if anyone is on the fence. currently have a basement full of fermentors, and just finished brewing a hefeweizen. if it were me, id skip the turkey fryer, pick up a ten or 15 gallon stainless pot, and an affordable burner. will cost a bit more now, but will save you from buying a bigger one in the future.
You can also get by with using a stove and a 3-5 gallon kettle and do partial boils as well. For anyone just getting into homebrewing, homebrewtalk is a great resource.

Be forewarned, if you do boil inside on a range, you'll make your house reek like malt, which can be a good or bad thing, depending on your view.

Great hobby. I have a batch of Organic Pale Ale fermenting atm. I have 2 cases Blackberry Cream Ale & 2 cases Imperial Pale Ale bottled & ready to drink. I have a similar setup as in the groupon sale. Only I have 2 extra 6.5 gal. buckets for secondary fermentation & dry-hopping. I do partial mash brewing, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with full extract brewing, either. I just don't have the space for all grain. I try to keep 2 batches going at all time.
Best place I have found for ingredients is Northern Brewers. They do a flat rate 7.99 shipping on almost all orders. I usually buy enough for 3-4 batches at a time & the shipping is still 7.99. Midwest kills me on shipping. 7 Bridges is a great place to source all organic ingredients if you are into that (I am).

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, in a ten gallon batch, how much of that should someone expect to be waste and how much can I drink? :) mmmmmmmm

You can also get by with using a stove and a 3-5 gallon kettle and do partial boils as well. For anyone just getting into homebrewing, homebrewtalk is a great resource.

Be forewarned, if you do boil inside on a range, you'll make your house reek like malt, which can be a good or bad thing, depending on your view.

Malt has a delicious odor.

Just out of curiosity, in a ten gallon batch, how much of that should someone expect to be waste and how much can I drink? mmmmmmmm
For a first time batch of beer of ~20L, I bottled 33 500mL bottles, so I got 16.5/20L, so I yielded 82.5%. And I didn't even filter before bottling. From fermenter to bottle.

Just out of curiosity, in a ten gallon batch, how much of that should someone expect to be waste and how much can I drink? :) mmmmmmmm
You should yield approx. 4 cases of 12oz. bottles from a 10gal. batch. I brew 2 different 5 gal. batches at a time. I try to keep about 4 types of beer on hand. I currently have the two I mentioned, Blackberry Cream Ale & Imperial Pale Ale(super hoppy & high alcohol), plus a Rye Ale & a French Saison(farmhouse ale). I have an Organic Pale Ale that should be ready in about 3 weeks & will be starting some sort of Wheat beer soon, not sure what I will do though. I usually let it sit in the primary fermenter for 1 week, secondary for 2 weeks & dry hop for another week. Then 2-3 weeks in the bottle & it is good to go. most common beers take about 4-6 weeks from start to drinkable.

Last edited:
Malt has a delicious odor.

QFT...but my wife rather disagrees. In the middle of boiling my wort on the last batch my propane tank ran dry. I had to bring it inside to finish it on the stove & my wife was not happy.

That's a pretty good deal, only thing it's missing is a 5 gallon pot, which you can pick up semi-cheap someplace else.

WARNING: Homebrewing is an extremely addictive hobby. I started out with a beginners kit just a few Christmases ago and now have a 3-keg setup, 5 carboys, an extra fridge I turned into a fermentation chamber, plus countless other toys I've purchased for brewing over the past 1.5 years. Make sure you have a very cool wife before starting this hobby :)

BTW, I'm "GreenDragon" on HBT if anyone is on there.

For those looking for a pot, I would recommend grabbing one with a steamer basket included (bayou classic turkey pots have this option) if you expect you may enjoy the hobby.

The transition to all grain brewing is extremely easy with the brew-in-a-bag (BIAB) technique, and the basket will make your life much easier if you go down that road.

I bit. Been thinking about this and distilling spirits for a while now.

For some reason I've always been turned off of these homebrew kits using plastic containers... is it dangerous to use glass (will it shatter from pressurization?) or some other material to store the stuff while it ferments?

There is nothing wrong with using plastic. Class carboys are perfectly safe, too. They just get really really heavy.

For some reason I've always been turned off of these homebrew kits using plastic containers... is it dangerous to use glass (will it shatter from pressurization?) or some other material to store the stuff while it ferments?

Glass is non-porous and easier to sanitize, but gets really heavy when filled with 5 gallons or more of liquid. Pressure is not an issue, as you have an airlock in place to let the CO2 escape as the yeast converts the sugars to alcohol. The plastic buckets are fine for fermentation, but if they get scratched up on the inside, it makes it hard to sanitize. If you are worried about it, use plastic for primary fermentation, which lasts 7-10 days and then use glass for secondary fermentation and settling.

Glass is pretty safe. The real trouble with it happens if you a drop a carboy, as you suddenly have the shards from a very large glass container being pushed outward at you by the five gallons of liquid inside. Plastic doesn't shatter like that, but it's possible to scratch it, which makes it a lot more difficult to sanitize.

I just use plastic buckets (food grade, obviously), and don't bother with a secondary anyway.

Back