Homegroup not showing up after sleep?

msny

2[H]4U
I recently installed Win 7 HP, on three of my home network boxes.
I setup a Homegroup from my box to the other two, and it works nicely.

However, we like to put our computers in sleep mode at night.
So the wife got on her computer first this morning, while mine was
still asleep. She could not find the Homegroup on her box, and that
is understandable. The Homegroup setup says that share is disabled
when a computer is asleep. OK, thats fine.

BUT...I then took my box out of sleep mode and she still could not see
the Homegroup? I expected it would then work for her on a simple
refresh of the Homegroup window. She logged out and back in, no dice.

We are both plugged into the router, this isnt a wireless issue.

I had to reboot my system before it would show up for her. Why is this
and can anything fix this problem coming out of sleep?

Thanks, appreciate your feedback.

Last edited:
How long have you waited for the connection once the PC is awaken from sleep? I notice on my PC that when I first wake it from sleep neither my Outlook nor another network based program has proper response for at least a 2-3 mins.

How long have you waited for the connection once the PC is awaken from sleep? I notice on my PC that when I first wake it from sleep neither my Outlook nor another network based program has proper response for at least a 2-3 mins.

In Windows 7, it usually resumes instantly.

You might check your advanced power options and make sure that the network adapter is set to max performance at all times.

I am running Win 7 and I realize it is SUPPOSE to resume instantly, it doesn't.

I am running Win 7 and I realize it is SUPPOSE to resume instantly, it doesn't.

Mine does so wonderfully... It's even better than Vista.

Which suggests to me it's either a driver or configuration issue, not Windows. If it was Windows, it'd be universal...

Mine I can have up and running in two seconds. Granted some of the applications themselves take awhile to reconnect, but the connection is up and active immediately, I can start browsing right away.

Mine does so wonderfully... It's even better than Vista.

Which suggests to me it's either a driver or configuration issue, not Windows. If it was Windows, it'd be universal...

Mine I can have up and running in two seconds. Granted some of the applications themselves take awhile to reconnect, but the connection is up and active immediately, I can start browsing right away.

I have 1 PC running ultimate and 1 running pro.

The pro is my HTPC if it goes to sleep and then I attempt to run an application like HULU it hard locks, it is freshly put together with a fresh install of 7 literally 2 days old. It has Win 7 pro, with all windows updates, MSE, mediabrowser and the only aftermarket drivers being ATI's for the onboard video, However I am almost positive they are WHQL. If it is freshbooted and does not go to sleep it does not falter.

Hardware for that HTPC is: Gigabyte 785 board, Athlon 240, G.Skill 2gb DDR2, Optiarc DVD burner, Seagate 250gb HDD.

The ultimate pc has all WHQL drivers, even video. Hardware for that is listed in sig. Neither rig is overclocked or ever has been.

I realize it is suppose to work and for most it does, but for some it doesn't. It doesn't mean those of us that don't have it working properly are doing something wrong.

First thing I'd do is uninstall all the Microsoft drivers and install the ones straight from the manufacturer.

It's really hit and miss. Sometimes the ones MS has are better, sometimes the ones from the manufacturer are better. It's usually the latter.

First thing I'd do is uninstall all the Microsoft drivers and install the ones straight from the manufacturer.

It's really hit and miss. Sometimes the ones MS has are better, sometimes the ones from the manufacturer are better. It's usually the latter.

With past OS'es I would agree with you on the manufacturer providing better drivers. 7 seems to have all fairly recent drivers released and they seem to quell more issues with 7 that the non-WHQL drivers. While I am a huge fan of 7 there seems to be numerous bugs that need to be fixed with it.

We waited for a while, and I checked for about 15 minutes before I rebooted.

With past OS'es I would agree with you on the manufacturer providing better drivers. 7 seems to have all fairly recent drivers released and they seem to quell more issues with 7 that the non-WHQL drivers. While I am a huge fan of 7 there seems to be numerous bugs that need to be fixed with it.

Again- if something was wrong with Windows itself- it'd affect everyone.

My machine works perfectly fine. However it being a higher end Dell lineup they provide very good drivers as well.

Let met ask you this- why don't you just try it? You never know until you try it.

In Windows 7, it usually resumes instantly.

You might check your advanced power options and make sure that the network adapter is set to max performance at all times.

I checked the advanced power options in windows, and there is no detail setting there
for the network adapter. The MB I have uses the Intel LAN PRO/1000 PL adapter
and those drivers are installed OK.

If I look in device mangler, I notice under properties there are detailed settings
in there, but I have no idea what they do.,

Also, the device tab does have a "power mangement" tab and...
"allow computer to turn off this device to save power" is checked.
"allow this device to wake the computer" is checked
"allow only magic packets to wake the computer" is checked.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: I retested this by putting my system to sleep, then check the wifes system.
her Homegroup dissapeared. When I woke my computer up 3 minutes later
it reappeared. So maybe it was just a fluke?

Since HG are vitual drives, maybe the underlying hard drive on my box that supplies
the data doesnt wake up as fast into the network.

Dunno.

Last edited:
Again- if something was wrong with Windows itself- it'd affect everyone.

My machine works perfectly fine. However it being a higher end Dell lineup they provide very good drivers as well.

Let met ask you this- why don't you just try it? You never know until you try it.

Re-read sentence 2 of what you quoted from my last post. I have tried it.

I checked the advanced power options in windows, and there is no detail setting there
for the network adapter. The MB I have uses the Intel LAN PRO/1000 PL adapter
and those drivers are installed OK.

If I look in device mangler, I notice under properties there are detailed settings

Any suggestions?
It's not those. But in Device Manager, in the Device's Advanced tab, you can usually have some kind of sleep settings. What's in there? Anything dealing with sleep or power options?

Usually it's on Wireless NICs but I've seen it on other stuff, too.

To make sure you're going to the right place:
Start, then type "Power Options".
Then next to whatever your current plan is, hit Change Plan Settings.
Then Change Advanced Settings.
Then hit Change Settings that are currently unavalible.

Nothing in there for the NIC?

If not, I wouldn't worry about it that much. Hardwire connections usually don't have trouble resuming unless it's a driver problem (have you tried drivers?)

Can you browse the HomeGroup with the computer in question when this happens?

Re-read sentence 2 of what you quoted from my last post. I have tried it.
I dunno what to tell you then. It's a driver problem, not a Windows problem.

It's not those. But in Device Manager, in the Device's Advanced tab, you can usually have some kind of sleep settings. What's in there? Anything dealing with sleep or power options?

Usually it's on Wireless NICs but I've seen it on other stuff, too.

To make sure you're going to the right place:
Start, then type "Power Options".
Then next to whatever your current plan is, hit Change Plan Settings.
Then Change Advanced Settings.
Then hit Change Settings that are currently unavalible.

Nothing in there for the NIC?

If not, I wouldn't worry about it that much. Hardwire connections usually don't have trouble resuming unless it's a driver problem (have you tried drivers?)

Can you browse the HomeGroup with the computer in question when this happens?

I dunno what to tell you then. It's a driver problem, not a Windows problem.

I already stated whats in there...

You might try unchecking the "Allow to turn off"... And give that a shot. I don't think it'll fix it though.

I have the same problem...funny I was going to post about it.
I have two rigs..one is my livingroom, one is my bedroom. Both have W7 on them. Ultimate. For weeks after I installed the OS everything was fine. Now for some reasons my homegroup doesnt work any longer. Both computers are hard wired to the router. I have unjoined the homegroup on both and re joined and it no longer works. The ONLY change recently was I was doing an upload of thousands of photos to a site and I turned off the ability to sleep on the one doing the uploading.

Even after rebooting- the homegroup is dead?
Hate to tell you this but this whole homegroup thing is pretty new to me (heck, I guess everyone)... Mine "just works"

Even after rebooting- the homegroup is dead?
Hate to tell you this but this whole homegroup thing is pretty new to me (heck, I guess everyone)... Mine "just works"

Well, mine is working now.
I changed nothing, no settings.

It must have something to do with the fact BOTH
computers were asleep and the order they awoke.
This is the issue I think.

Back