Hooking up normal speakers to PC

todlerix

2[H]4U
I want to hook up standard speakers to my PC

The speakers are from a home theater system (im not getting the receiver, yet)

From my PC i can output from the 3.5mm jacks or SPDIF but i believe i have to power my speakers through something. What is it I need?

note: i know receivers can power them but I don't want to drop huge money on a receiver.

Yeah, a budget would be nice.

As for recievers, you could try looking on ebay and/or craigslist, they have solid quality used recievers for really cheap.

I am trying to get away with spending less than $300 on the 2 speakers and the device to power the speakers. The speakers haven't been purchased yet, but the ones I'm looking at are $100 a pop

The money you spend on the receiver will make or break the speakers. Your budget does not allow for a good receiver on its own, without even considering the speakers.

You'd be much better off going with a sound system designed for a computer.

I am trying to get away with spending less than $300 on the 2 speakers and the device to power the speakers. The speakers haven't been purchased yet, but the ones I'm looking at are $100 a pop

Leaving $100(ish) for an amp or receiver. Do you have any objections to it only being a stereo or 2.1 device? Or do you want a 5.1 or 7.1 device (making it almost necessarily a receiver)? You can probably get a higher-grade stereo device than you could get of a surround-capable device, but either will trounce things like the z-5500.

Leaving $100(ish) for an amp or receiver. Do you have any objections to it only being a stereo or 2.1 device? Or do you want a 5.1 or 7.1 device (making it almost necessarily a receiver)? You can probably get a higher-grade stereo device than you could get of a surround-capable device, but either will trounce things like the z-5500.

right now my goal is to get a 2 speaker set up(stereo), if i can get a good sub too that'd be awesome.

The M200MkII active desktop loudspeaker looks like a good solution though. I won't be able to re use them when it comes time to get the full setup but I can live with that.

The only downside is I don't think I can get these to work with my PS3, is there a sound card or device that will allow me to do this? For example a optical out that converts to line in, or a sound card that can take optical and output it through the analog ports?

I would hit this for the sub. Add the M200MkIIs, and you should have a rather nice setup. You might have to add a few dollars in adapters and such, but only as a near-trivial portion of the budget.

As to the PS3, you might be able to feed it to the computer as input and route it to the speakers. I forget how to make Windows do this at the moment, but I've done it before (on a PS2 to be specific).

right now my goal is to get a 2 speaker set up(stereo), if i can get a good sub too that'd be awesome.

The M200MkII active desktop loudspeaker looks like a good solution though. I won't be able to re use them when it comes time to get the full setup but I can live with that.

The only downside is I don't think I can get these to work with my PS3, is there a sound card or device that will allow me to do this? For example a optical out that converts to line in, or a sound card that can take optical and output it through the analog ports?
Youy could get the Acoustic Research ARXP52 for $43 AC + S/H (coupon code = AFL805), and a Dayton 10" sub for $110 shipped free, which would leave you with a decent $140 for a surround receiver.

John Krutke of zaphaudio.com reviewed the acoustic research ARXP52 and he found them to have low distortion and a flat frequency response, a rare combo in speakers priced that low. Unfortunately he no longer has that review posted but it may still be tucked away in google cache (?) Personally i'd scoop them up right away, as soon as slickdeals catches wind that they're in stock again they'll sell out right away, as they did the last time, and the time before that ;)

Just ordered myself a pair as a matter of fact :)

the ps3 (in terms of stereo, not surround) just uses L/R red and white plugs, you could get a rca connector coupler, and attach a rca to 3.5mm jack and attach to pc line in. etc.

the ps3 (in terms of stereo, not surround) just uses L/R red and white plugs, you could get a rca connector coupler, and attach a rca to 3.5mm jack and attach to pc line in. etc.

Yeah, I have a $5 dongle around here somewhere from doing exactly that.

wouldn't the optical provide better audio quality, not just surround sound?

Sure, if you have an optical-in and can get the audio drivers to play ball.

There are loads, including cheap ones - but for the quality audio you're passing from most console games, you might as well just use the analog line-in.

Note that any S/PDIF digital connection will work more or less equally well. I favor optical over coax because I don't have to care what it runs next to, but coax will do exactly the same job provided you don't do something like run it past a florescent light or unshielded speaker.

I went with the Edifier S330D

Digital in for my PS3, better audio quality than my current. Problem solved.

Hey,Get you a pair og Logitech z-530 are higher with a decent sound card cheapest way out.:)

Back